Stuck on Hubpages.

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (25 posts)
  1. KnowledgeAnywhere profile image61
    KnowledgeAnywhereposted 13 years ago

I almost made a hub had all the information down typed up in Microsoft Word was very enthusiastic because it was my first hub.  But two things about hubpages slammed in my way.

1.  According to the rules when I publish a hubpage I will have to update it or post around on the site to keep my score above 75 so all my links do not die.

This frustrated me because if I get sick miss a day my score will rot away.  But will it be forgotten by google results?  I do not know.

2.  The capsule sequence is a bit confusing to me.  Ive read some hubs where they say "its easy" to register to google adsense, amazon, or other affiliates.  However, when I was about to publish my hub it offered google adsense, and amazon without an account.  So if someone buys do I still get the 60% or does 100% go to hubpages if I do not have an account at those affiliates. 

During registration I was never prompted for a payment threshold or method of payment.  So how exactly will I be paid if I am published? 

Just noticed one thing in my Hub statistics I received three views.  But that does not make sense because I never published it at all.  I saved it as unpublished and deleted it.  So how could anyone actually see it?

Thank you for reading.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

freaking out?
      have a chill pill. It will be ok. really smile

1. mythbuster profile image72
        mythbusterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

red pill is best, in my opinion.

smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages! smile
      To start out, it would be advisable to help get traffic(internal) so your hubberscore/authorscore rises as does your hubscore for your hubs. This means, all you have to do is be active within the community in some manner. Your hubberscore will not have any problem going above 75 and staying there with a little amount of effort. Your hubscores only have to stay above 40 to be dofollow(SEO term).
      This should be the least of your worries. Concentrate on publishing quality articles.
      Yes, you will have to sign up for Google Adsense(get a publisher's ID) and Amazon(affiliates) to earn money.
      If you do not sign up for the Google Adsense and Amazon, you won't earn.
      The views are YOU viewing the page.

Hope that helped.

3. profile image0
      ankigarg87posted 13 years agoin reply to this

friend don't worry about hub score.just concentrate about writing good content article.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

You are way overthinkng this --apparently without reading any of the FAQ's.
    Your scores won't rot away because of occasional neglect. They don't die. In fact, if they are original and have good content they continue to thrive even if neglected.

You want to get your personal hubscore above 75-- but that is not a daunting task.
    Read some stuff here -- then try it for yourself instead of listening to hearsay.

Welcome to HubPages-- you might like it here if you have a little patience and some ability.

Your own editing views register as 'views' even before publication.

For payment info check out the Adsense info, etc.

3. QuestionMaster profile image79
    QuestionMasterposted 13 years ago

To address your concerns (as mentioned in the hubpages FAQ if you had bothered to read them.) http://hubpages.com/faq/

1. As long as your content is quality and original writing (not just words, add photos, links, rss, news, polls and other capsules), you'll get to 75 in a few weeks. In fact even without writing a single thing in the forums it's almost impossible NOT to have a score of at least 80.

And... score is an internal way of keeping spammers from posting links because below 75 all outward links are nofollow. Other than that, score won't change your chances of making money or ranking with google.

2. All views when your affiliates are not linked will give 100% of profits to hubpages. (http://hubpages.com/my/affiliate)

You need to link your affiliates in the affiliates section to get your 60% of impressions.

When you register with affiliates it can take a few days to get approved. Once approved you usually need to reach a certain level before they prompt for payment information as well as verify your account (adsense I believe to be $10). Basically they want to make sure you're actually going to be making money before getting those details.

3. Your own views are counted towards total views.

4. KnowledgeAnywhere profile image61

Schoolgirlforreal:  No I am not freaking out simply trying to piece together this gigantic jigsaw puzzle called hubpages.  I am very enthralled with the concept of getting paid for what I write it just when it comes to registration to other sites then linking that somehow to this account and not the site as a whole is where things turn very very confusing.  This site is like a brand new free ps3 to me that popped out of google.

Cagsil:  Thanks for all that information but somethings just do not add up.  I know you said you have to register to google ad sense or amazon in order to generate income.  However, if I try to publish without it and the capsule is running will hub pages stop me and say "hey you do not have an account maybe you should get one" or say "CEO:  O YAH we get 100% now on all the revenue this article makes. Lets go golfing.  Hey how are you today Julios you wont believe what just happened _ published without any affiliate accounts and we get 100%.  Julious:  Should we tell him to get an account?  CEO:  Nah."  Nevermind, read that last bit of what you said "If you do not sign up for the Google Adsense and Amazon, you won't earn." so they get it all.

Rochelle:  Ive read only about two hubpages going into a great deal about backlinking and watched the hubpageshelp videos of backlinking on youtube.  Then I clicked help in hubpages trying to piece together how to get paid typed crtl+f looked for it and found the info. dealing with registration to another site completely called google.  But I stop there and try to piece together how will google identify my account on hubpages if I own no share of this site other than a hub?

QuestionMaster:  I went to the faqs before registering and was cool until I ran into words such as impressions payout for google.  And I read that yes hubpages pays 60% for impressions but do I even have to register?  I have seen the faq although did not read it word for word.  Thanks for the info about the 100% profit to hubpages.  But the very last thing baffles me about waiting days and getting paid.  How do you collect the money from google?  Does it show up in the account? 

What I learned is the basic breakdown is like this:  Buisnesses pay for google ads.  Google earns commission then splits it with hubpages which splits it with you (if you sign up for an account).

Thanks for the fast replies everyone.

1. QuestionMaster profile image79
      QuestionMasterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the thing you are most confused about is google adsense. So here are the basics.

Hubpages does not collect your money or pay you in any way.

Once you sign up for adsense and are approved, you put the tracking code on your adsense account into the affiliate settings.

60% of the adverts on all your hubs and profile will contain your unique tracking code.

When someone clicks an advert money will be registered in your account.

When you reach $100 (in the US) you will receive the money in whichever way you wish - direct deposit and cheque are some of the ways available.

"What I learned is the basic breakdown is like this:  Buisnesses pay for google ads.  Google earns commission then splits it with hubpages which splits it with you."

Correct except it should read like this:

"What I learned is the basic breakdown is like this:  Buisnesses pay for google ads.  Google earns commission then splits it with you. Hubpages will show their own advert tracker 40% of the time."

You can also earn an extra 9, 12, or 10% on impressions based on use of trackers [hubpage trackers, not to be confused with your adsense account trackers]. So in the end, hubpages is only guaranteed to show their advert tracker on approx 20% of the adverts - meaning it's a pretty good deal for members.

AND... about backlinking, promotion etc? IGNORE that. First of all start writing. And writing and writing. If you really want to learn, the easiest place to start is to learn about keywords.

Writing will help you get a grip of what works for you, what attracts visitors and what you need to learn, later.

Oh and in reference to notification that they get 100% - if you publish a hub it will come up with a bar at the top straight after publication saying something along the lines of "You aren't signed up with google adsense. Click here to visit the affiliates page." or something along those lines.

5. KnowledgeAnywhere profile image61

Thanks for the information QuestionMaster but something still baffles me.  If I publish a hub it is not in the SEO I have around 8 hub points therefore it will simply be on the site.  So I figure I have to post about 40-50 more times in order for me to get enough points to even be seen by the SEO at least for my first hub.  But according to the previous posts it will somehow build without me doing anything as long as I have quality interesting & engaging concepts/content right?  I feel like a turtle trying to make it to the ocean but hubpages is a seagull.

And lastly, where can I find info about hubpages trackers?  I tried to decipher what they wrote on the site in my profile but it does not seem to make much sense.  Thanks.

1. QuestionMaster profile image79
      QuestionMasterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you're confused by something Cagsil said.

SEO means - search engine optimisation (basically getting the search engines to notice you.)

There are two types of point systems:
      Authorscore - influenced by a range of things, although the majority of it is based on quality hubs. Commenting on hubs and talking in forums is a secondary and very minor way to add to it.
      Hubscore - this is based on things like the quality of the hub and how much traffic you get. It can literally vary between 60 and 95 sometimes, depending on traffic going up and down etc.

As to your current score - publish a hub or two. As I mentioned, authorscore is influenced a lot by hubs so even a single quality hub will start it climbing. In fact if you have one good quality hub I can almost promise it will be at least 45-50 within a week or two. However writing more hubs will probably help its rise over time.

And the absolute best summing up of referral tracker use:
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Referrals

2. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It takes a while to learn everything about HubPages, so the best thing to to do is publish a few hubs and get used to the capsules and how to layout a hub; then sign up for adsense and amazon and put the ID's you're given in your affiliate settings http://hubpages.com/my/affiliate. Everything else can be learnt as you go.

I have another account with one hub and the scores are pretty stable even though I hardly ever visit it - the scores are really nothing to worry about.

3. 2uesday profile image65
      2uesdayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The easiest way is to write hubs and try to gain knowledge about the other subjects you mention as you 'go along'.

The reason I say this is once you are putting the hubs together - what info. you read (the knowledge you gain) falls into place bit by bit. If you try to understand it all in one go - you will get Hubpages version of 'indigestion'.

When I joined I had never heard of SEO's (there are excellent writers here who write Hubs on the subject) but one of my earlier hubs by luck (rather then knowledge) is still one of my more popular ones.

To begin with try to enjoy putting the hubs together, experiment with how the capsules work. Read the FAQ (help button at the top of this page) and visit the HubPages learning centre but do not expect to get all the info in one go. When you are ready search for Hubs on the topics you wish to learn about SEO's etc.

I signed up for Adsense first and then Amazon later. I am not an Adsense genius it took almost a year for me to make a payout, and I have yet to understand how to get Amazon to work well on my Hubs.
      Good luck and I hope you enjoy writing here.

6. A la carte profile image60
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

Why not just write a few hubs first, get established and comfortable with that before going to the next step. Baby steps work I know cause I am always being called a big kid smile

7. KnowledgeAnywhere profile image61

This feels a bit like throw something out there that is quality and hope the author score gets above 40.  Yes, I know write something is the code but I wrote one before but never published it.  It is still on Microsoft Word.  But I figure two things if it is not in the SEO it wont be read or will it take 6-7 months with enough hubbers to read it for recognition to finally make it to the Search engines.  Or is it already there but it just wont be at the top of the list?

My second concern is much more minor and its that no matter how many views hubbers still get paid 60% right SEO or not?

And if the hub is stable enough it will self sustain your score enough not to post something everyday or year for that matter.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image73
      Arthur Fontesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Once you sign up for adsense and enter your code into affiliate settings you will receive 60% of the ad impressions no matter what.

I think you have received some great advice in this thread, we cannot wait to read your first hub (sitting in limbo on a word doc).  You publish whenever you want to publish.  If you only want to publish 1 hub that is your choice, it will not effect your status.

Welcome to Hubpages, and get that adsense code loaded so you can start earning. smile

2. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Having been here for all of 48 hours I can now speak with authority :-)

Seriously rather than try to take everything in right from the start I threw together a hub and published it. Then I watched my scores tank. I'm not proud of that hub and wouldn't show it off but I treat it as a test bed and tweak it, watching my scores slowly start climbing again as I work out the most important aspects.

I don't fret about it not earning me money because it isn't perfect as I think even if it was perfect it will be a while before it earns. Instead I'm spending my time building a stock of hubs, from working titles to near completed ones interspersed with reading hubs, forums etc and finally plucking up courage to comment on other hubs. Oh, and enjoying watching my scores climbing back up.

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

you have a lot of good advice here. simply begin with the basics and as 2uesday suggested, learn as you go.  when I first started, I read a few hubbers how to hubs, starting with darkside. I read all of his how to hubs and it helped me a lot. He writes in simple, clear language, easy to follow. http://hubpages.com/hub/howhubworks  you can find more of his hubs on his profile page. also the learning center is full on great info.
    good luck, have fun and welcome. smile

9. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

Oh.. the three unpublished views are your views and/or spiderbots checking you out in anticipation (as far as I gather).

The dofollow is to do with your authorscore (your number on your profile avatar) - you need to get it above 74 for dofollow. How would you do this?  Active community participation (commenting and reading others hubs, forums) and producing quality articles consisting of good content - no spamming and no automation.

You will need to apply for adsense - this might take sometime, depending on your location and production of good quality hubs.

After this process, you have the click revenue from ads, 60% of the time, whilst hubpages has it 40% of the time.  This is to do with your ad impressions, so you need to make sure that your hub content matches your tags and keywords.

I am open to correction, but this is what I gather.

10. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 13 years ago

A la Carte has given you great advice - (and the others)

As you begin to write Hubs and find your way around the site, things will begin to fall into place. You can't know everything there is to know about HP in your first week of joining.

.... as with every other Writing Website out there.

Good Luck.

11. profile image57
    budha1969posted 13 years ago

Ive just started and i keep looking to see if im published from this morning and i am not ive had 35 veiws thoughs could someone help me out with what im doing wrong please i would be very grateful thanks bigbudha1969

1. 2uesday profile image65
      2uesdayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have one hub published - it shows that on your post above and also on your profile page.

As to getting views - it does take time at the begining to build this. As you add more hubs to your collection of published hubs if they relate to each other link your hubs i.e. post the link in one hub to another one of yours on a similar/related topic. This helps you to gan 'follow through reads' from one hub to another.

Hope this is helpful.

1. profile image57
        budha1969posted 13 years agoin reply to this

they keep coming up in red and say they need more work should i add them together do you think as one

12. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Hey, a few things I noticed about this post. You claim that Hubpages does not make it clear on how to make money, however,

After the sign up to Hubpages a page is displayed which gives you the answers to three specific questions.

What is a Hub Anyway?
    How do I make money?
    What are the rules?

If you came on to this site wanting to make money, and did not even bother to read the second question, then there really is a problem right there.

13. KnowledgeAnywhere profile image61

I just finished the sign up for google adsense now I must wait one-two days for their approval.  Then I realized I cannot have any amazon affiliate program because I happen to live in one of those non-acceptable states.  So that just leaves google & Kontera. Is there a way to have more options about affiliates with hubpages or do I have to just link it into a hub.  This throws my first hub off because I was aiming to use amazon.  Thanks for the responses everyone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)