Please Stop Panicking!

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (84 posts)
  1. Isabella Snow profile image85
    Isabella Snowposted 13 years ago

I don't post in these forums anymore, so most of you won't know who I am, but I've been around a long time. I am not going to get into a debate with *anyone*, this is just an FYI for those of you who are panicked about the latest Google changes.

1. Google did a big change of some sort a couple of years ago; can't recall what it was, but my earnings dropped for a month or few. I continued to hub, and within a few months my earnings were back up to where they were and then some.

2. My traffic dropped over the last week just like everyone else's, and my earnings dropped a bit, but not enough to worry me. And over the last couple of days they seem to be almost back to what they were before the Google change.

3. This doesn't apply to people who come here just to write and not make money, but for those who are here trying to earn money, let me just say that if you spent 1/2 the amount of time creating new hubs that you spend kvetching in these forums, you'd be making a whole lot more. And if that smacks, sorry -- it's just  the truth.

4. Hubranking has zero to do with what you earn here. Zero. For months, I was the top hubber when there was only one 100 rating for all of HP and I can tell you it has no impact on earnings. In fact, if you wanted to really analyze it, I make more when I'm a 94!

5. If you want to make money here you need to write 100% original content and not steal or borrow. You know who you are, and so does Google.

6. And lastly, yes, it is possible to make a living from HP earnings. Absolutely, it is. There is not a magic formula and there is not a magic hub waiting to be written. The secret to making money is writing articles you know something about, writing many of them, and then giving it some time. Backlinks may work for some, but personally I have never tried any of that. I just write what I know and I've been fortunate that 10 million+ people have wanted to read them.

That is the secret to hubpages -- quality, quantity, and patience.

I hope this makes some of you feel better.

Good luck,
    Isa

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL!!!!

I agree.  I think a high score is still desirable though.  I might be better off (as would many) with a perma forum ban!

2. Mike's Corner profile image72
      Mike's Cornerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the great post, Isabella. I've been away for about 9 days and came back to losts of scary forum posts, like the whole world had changed in a week, I'm glad to hear from a long-time hubber that this sort of thing has happened before and thigns should shake out in favor of quality hubs.

3. Angie Jardine profile image69
      Angie Jardineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Isabella - as a newbie I do love writing but I would also love to earn money. I work very hard on my hubs but as to everything else (backlinks et al) I really haven't a clue. So I'm really grateful to you for this sensible and useful hub.

Cheers
      Angie

4. ByChanceTV profile image61
      ByChanceTVposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You Got a good attitude - I like you're style!

5. tonymac04 profile image72
      tonymac04posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm panicking! In mid-December my author score was in the early to mid 90s. It is now at 78 in spite of my page views rising slowly buyt steadily and the addition of some, may I modestly say, quality Hubs. My followers number has increased and the individual Hub scores have increased. Indeed in early December I had Hubs with scores of 50, 51, 52. Right now my lowest is 57 and my highest 97.
      So with all the indicators seemingly on the up, what is happening to my Author Score?
      I understand that if it drops below 75 I will run into problems. So what can I do to reverse the slide? This is very worrying as I work very hard on my Hubs and take pride as well as pleasure in my writing.
      Advice please?

1. MyWebs profile image79
        MyWebsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You mentioned the magic number 75.

Does your Author score affect the amount of traffic your hubs receive? How much you earn from your hubs? Not one bit. Your caught up worrying about something that doesn't really matter as long as it is 75 or higher. Even if it does drop below 75 all that happens in your outgoing links become no follow which may not matter to you.

But since you are flirting with the 75 I'd suggest reading some hubs and leaving comments on a couple. Do some hub hopping to help rid HP of the craptacular hubs and maybe answer a question or two. All of these things affect hub score.

1. tonymac04 profile image72

Have done and am doing all of those things!

2. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You could optimise your tagging: http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubpages-Traffic-Use-of-Tags

Doing so bumped my author score up significantly when I was starting out.

Thanks - I have been doing that but maybe need to do more.
          I'm still worried that my author score is dropping while other indicators seem to be rising - it doesn't make sense to me?
          Still I'll juist carry on and hope that the tide turns somehow. If I knew what was causing the drop I might be able to rectify something but being in the dark makes it difficult.
          But thanks again for the reminded about tags.

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
            Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That happened to another respected Hubber a while back - it turned out they had too many links pointing to the same blog across their Hubs. They stripped a few links out and the score recovered.

Not sure if that is the case with your portfolio, but you could always try emailing the team (as long as they are not too busy with the flagging spree!) and see what is going on.

Poor quality isn't an issue with your work - there must be some other reason smile

Think I will take your advice and email the team because I don't have those sorts of links. I only link to other Hubs or to things like Wikipedia when it's relevant.
              Do the links to my blog in my profile count against me in this sense?
              Anyway thanks again

1. prettydarkhorse profile image54
                prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Tonymac, I hope your author score will rise soon as I know your hubs are well written.

2. IzzyM profile image87
                IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just saw this post..Tony another thing that can lower your hubscore is following too many hubbers with low scores...so check that out.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image85
              oceansnsunsetsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, Tony, from what I know of you, you are not low quality!  I am very surprised that you have just a 78 for all that you are doing.  That just seems odd to me too.  Has this ever happened before to you in your time here?

6. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said! And who said that you can't learn a thing on forums! I learnt a new verb - to kvetch! Wonderful - my new favorite verb thanks!

Being serious, I totally agree with you - these bumps are going to happen time to time and as long as the focus continues to be on quality then good writers will ALWAYS rise to the top!

2. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

You sound like the voice of common sense.

Personally I'd also much rather be a 94 than a 100 - I've a hunch that people whose 100 score propels them to HP's front page are more likely to have their hubs copied.

3. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

Whoah, you have a point there. I think I'll go around insulting people, ignoring comments, and whatever you have to do to drop the hub score. haha! Only kidding!

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It works for me smile

4. Isabella Snow profile image85

It's amazing that with everything I just said, the first two comments are focused on hubscore!

Hubscore has nothing to do with how much traffic you bring in, or how much money you make. And if I wanted to be 100, believe me, I'd still be 100.

I started making much better money when I stopped caring about my hubscore and started making more hubs.

But hey, to each his own.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I might like a high hubscore, but I've never had a score as high as yours is; and I've not been making enough money here to be complaining about a drop in traffic.

I have, however, realized that my epic opinion pieces aren't where the money is!!!  LOL!

2. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  you really make sense... I guess it is important to go on doing what you need to do and stop moaning and weeping about the changes. Once the dust settles down I guess thing will be back to normal..I Know what you are saying about hubscore..it doesn't mean a thing.
      Great advice there and I am glad that you popped up in time to give some good advice.Thanks !!

3. oceansnsunsets profile image85

You make fair points...

5. Isabella Snow profile image85

Ugh, I don't like this threading system so it's unlikely I will continue to post here. Hopefully someone like Misha will reiterate what I've said and I'll just mosey on now.

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can switch to the normal view, it is in the upper right corner, right below the header. smile

Isabella Snowposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank God! Thanks, Misha!

1. Misha profile image62

You are welcome any time smile

I, too, despise that "improvement".

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Hi Isa, glad to see you back. How are you doing? smile

7. Isabella Snow profile image85

Speak of the devil -- Misha tell them I'm right so I can go back to work. ;-)

1. Misha profile image62

*devilish laugh*

Sure you are, I told that them countless times myself - they prefer to worry smile

8. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

Thank you, Isabella!
    You've made a few things clear to me here that had always seemed a little unclear. A shame you don't bring your wisdom to the Forums more often.

9. R-J-T profile image61
    R-J-Tposted 13 years ago

Im glad you left a comment Isabella Snow, its a shame you do not come to the forums anymore as with 10 million views people could learn a lot from you.

And I totally agree about hubscore it is 100% irrelivant to how much money you can earn or google rankings.

Thank you.

1. oceansnsunsets profile image85

WOW, 10 million views?  What can people do on hubpages to get views more in line with that?  Man that is a ton of views!

10. Richieb799 profile image77
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs you are a wiseman

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Or alternatively...

you don't understand the problem.

1. ThomasE profile image70
        ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you can keep your head when everyone else is losing theirs, you are better off than Henry VIII's wives.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82

Drat.  We should have started one of those funny word game threads.

2. Isabella Snow profile image85

Yes, I'm an idiot. Got it in one.

Did I say that? No, I didn't.

Did I quote you?

I thought you did.

To be fair though, neither did Mark Ewbie say you were an idiot.

2. camlo profile image84
              camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe Mark was referring to himself as the one who doesn't understand what's going on - at least, I'd like to think so.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82

I didn't say that either - it was merely an alternative view, or hackneyed expression which is occasionally added to the original "If you can keep your head" line.

No offence meant.

2. Pandoras Box profile image60
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nothing gives a man more advantage over another than to stay cool, calm and collected at all times.

-Jefferson (probably loosely quoted)

11. Jule Romans profile image95
    Jule Romansposted 13 years ago

Thanks, Isabella.

12. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

We've missed you, Isabella!

13. workingmomwm profile image80
    workingmomwmposted 13 years ago

Not panicking here. I don't make enough or get enough traffic to really worry. It is kind of a bummer, though. I just started seeing some Google AdSense money start trickling in, and I was seeing a rise in traffic. And now traffic is dropping and Google isn't doing anything for me. Oh well. I'll just have to wait it out and see what happens.

14. Isabella Snow profile image85

Just a note to say I have checked the hubs of mine that always ranked in the top 3 google returns, and they are still there. In fact, one is them went up to first place.

Like I said, my earnings are about the same as they were before, even with the traffic drop, so perhaps I was getting bad quality traffic before. On the other hand, some of my hubs that weren't earning very much are getting more views and have had some high paying clicks.

I believe that it will all sort itself out.

I also believe that if you have a negative mentality, you will draw negative experiences into your life. It may be easier than done to say give it some time, but really that's what we *have* to do.

In the meantime, keep hubbing, because when the traffic comes back, as I'm sure it will, you'll be glad you did.

15. SandyMcCollum profile image61
    SandyMcCollumposted 13 years ago

No, hub score has no meaning when it comes to pay or page views, however, I do like to keep mine at an acceptable level to me. If my hubscore slips, I start working more, which makes me more money.

16. Isabella Snow profile image85

That's an issue of personal motivation.

17. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

The voice of reason has spoken, nice to see you around here saucy lady. been reading some of your hubs and rating accordingly!

18. Isabella Snow profile image85

Heya Wayne! Thanks much! ;-)

19. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I don't panic. lol

Nice to see you Isabella. smile big_smile Hope things are well. smile

20. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I agree with the hubranking. Numbers bounce around (mine do) but they don't mean jack in relation to earnings.

As for earning a living on HP yep, that's doable. And the magic formula, if there is or was such a thing - it's called writing, funnily enough. If you don't put the effort in all you can expect is the same in return.

1. Greek One profile image62
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

then why does your avatar look like it is panicking? tongue

1. frogdropping profile image78
        frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because I live in a world of perpetual chaos. Algorithm schmalgorithm. Try dealing with hormonal daughters high on estrogen, or idiot dogs that are forever leaping before they git to looking.

1. Greek One profile image62
          Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

have you tried....

http://blog.purentonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/crown-royal-canadian-blended-whisky.jpg

It relieves the stress and, over time, helps you get rid of your liver

2. Isabella Snow profile image85

No, funnily enough; it's *not* writing.

It's writing something people want to read, and writing it well.

1. frogdropping profile image78
        frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not writing? What's the bit in the text box called then.

2. Haunty profile image72
        Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the point was writing a lot, which is just as important as writing the right kind of content. One won't work without the other.

3. Pcunix profile image91

Well, if you are going to put unreasonable conditions like that on it, I just give up..

21. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I'm sorry I missed this post from Isabella 28 hours ago. Thanks hun smile
    Tomorrow I'll get back to writing hubs. Feel better about the traffic drop already smile

22. Isabella Snow profile image85

Gawd, I'm starting to remember why I stopped visiting this forum.

1. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol! at least I didn't mention the hubscore thingy!

2. profile image0

Why? I don't really see any negative responses to your forum post? In fact most were agreeing with your points, even if they were blatantly obvious.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's what I wondered too, Ryan!
        Seems a bit odd to have a quick visit, make a few comments, get some support, then announce this?

1. profile image0

I don't know, seemed a bit uppity to me. Not sure if the monitor is playing tricks on me again, but seemed a bit off with everybodies favourite frog above hmm

Thank goodness she didn't encounter one of the trolls, I thought that this was one of the better recieved and more pleasant threads on the board lol

2. Pcunix profile image91

Well, she did misinterpret Mark's little joke..

It doesn't matter. She made her point and she's right.

1. profile image0

Yeah she was right, but that's the bit which confused me, nobody said that she wasn't wink

1. agvulpes profile image85
            agvulpesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just read it through myself and Isa came across as the 'old school marm'  "Just sit there and listen and don't answer back even if it is to agree with me"
            Btw Isa I agree with you wholeheartedly.cool

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
          Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Was that a form of flounce, PC?  lol

1. Pcunix profile image91

I don't know. Her avatar looks like she could do a GREAT flounce.

She could also likely write a great "how to flounce" hub.

23. Isabella Snow profile image85

Right, that's enough for me then.

Good luck to those who stick around.

Later.

24. R-J-T profile image61
    R-J-Tposted 13 years ago

Isabella Snow you are really helping me keep motivated as I would much rather take advice from someone who has walked the walked (10 M views) rather than all these people who just talk the talk.

Thank you

1. simeonvisser profile image69
      simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's indeed very important to distinguish those who walk the walk from those who talk the talk in making money online.

25. Aware1 profile image61
    Aware1posted 13 years ago

Gosh, I wish I had seen this post earlier! I would not have posted links to the stats articles. I have not been affected here with all of this.. really, my few acounts here only see posts occasionally.

Anyway, Isabella, thanks for posting it! I agree with you. And all my stats and serps have not been affected.

It will all balance out...

26. aware profile image68
    awareposted 13 years ago

hmm

27. earnestshub profile image83
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

You nailed it Isabella. smile

28. 2besure profile image77
    2besureposted 13 years ago

884 hub??? Girrl, you have been here for a while!

29. ThomasE profile image70
    ThomasEposted 13 years ago

The problem with the view that cream rises to the top is that I look at the results so far, and notice that this change has predominantly caused my single product hubs to rise, and my multiple product hubs to fall.

The single product hubs I wrote are mainly the first hubs I wrote.

They are much worse than the multiple product hubs, in my view. The multiple product hubs are better quality, offering a range of similar products at various price points that I think people would want... they were written with the intention of being helpful, and better than the Amazon results on the subject.

Frankly, the single product hubs are drek I wrote right at first when I was learning, and were mainly written to improve my bank balance, and I have been planning to improve substantially so they are really useful to the people reading them but hadn't got around to fixing yet.

At least in my case, the hubs I thought were the best and most helpful ones have been hit the hardest.

1. Susana S profile image90
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just checked mine to see if I could see the same correlation, but I can't. My older product reviews are faring better (though they have still been bashed) whether they are for single or multiple products, while my newer ones which were just starting to rise in the serps have been smacked down to 1 or 2 hits per day.

In fact 2 of my multiple product hubs have not been affected at all (so far) and weirdly one of the ones I wrote just before Christmas is still doing ok as well. Can't see much rhyme or reason at the moment, but we will work it out with conversations like this.

On another point, I was looking my average time on page stats yesterday and I don't think google can be paying much attention to those at the mo, because most of my hubs have a 5 - 6 min average.

30. rachelsholiday profile image60
    rachelsholidayposted 13 years ago

Thanks for posting this!  I'm new to hubpages and while I don't exactly care about making money it would be nice to earn a little bit.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image54
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you can also read HP blogs which was updated just now -- http://blog.hubpages.com/

Welcome to HP!!

31. rachelsholiday profile image60
    rachelsholidayposted 13 years ago

Thank you!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)