Flagging

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Muldanianmanposted 12 years ago

I have just decided to flag a question on here becaue it is so offensive and discriminatory that I really think HubPages should not let it go unchecked.  Has anyone ever felt the need to flag something,and what happens as a result?

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Okay. You have me curious....what was the question?

1. profile image0
      Muldanianmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I shall report back if I receive a response from HubPages.  It is a subject I have mentioned on here before, which I find so disgusting that I felt I had to do something about it.  I really have been amazed by the bigoted views expressed, and the fact that people with an illness are having to suffer the insults from people who should know better.

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Flagging doesn't mean it will be removed - it just means that it will be added to the moderation queue to be checked. If the moderator agrees it will be removed but you won't be notified - although you can go back and check the question if you wish.

2. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That doesn't solve my curious nature.
        What is disgusting to one, might not be to another. Hence, my curious nature of the question.
        Insults? I'm not sure what illness would warrant bigoted insults.

1. profile image0

OK, it is a question which suggests that people with mental illness are possessed by the devil.  Not only do I find the suggestion disgusting, but I have been amazed at the responses.  Many agree, which of course they have every right to do.  There have been those who have disagreed, all of whom have been voted down, whilst those who agree with the questioner have been voted up.  I just can't get to grips with the idea that the majority seem to believe that mental illness is a form of Satanic possession.  I find it insulting and very offensive.  Some replies have come from people who have suffered mental illness, which is a brave thing to admit to, yet even they have been voted down.  I have lost my faith in human nature a little by this.

1. Cagsil profile image69
            Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.

3. Chaotic Chica profile image61
    Chaotic Chicaposted 12 years ago

I have flagged before based on hubs or questions that are indeed absurdly offensive, obvious spam, blatant attempts to start a riot [if you will], or are clear violations of HubPages policy; the last being the most common reason I flag.
    I have not received notification of the outcomes of my flags but have seen hubs disappear after words.  I never flag based on a difference of personal opinion, that is just blatantly unfair and I wouldn't want someone to do that to mine.  Basically it boils down to me being a rules person and I don't have a problem calling someone out on breaking them.

1. profile image0

I agree that a difference of opinion is no reason to flag any question or hub. My worry is that there are many people with mental health issues, for whom this particular question would be the last thing they need to see.  Having a mental health condition is bad enough, without seeing that so many people believe mental health problems are caused by Satanic possession.  Who knows what this could do to someone already suffering from a very real illness.  I can only refer hubbers to the entire debate to this question, and ask them please to not make anyone with mental health problems feel even worse about themselves.

4. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

This is the actual question:

"In Jesus day, he expelled many devils from possessed people. Do we today, confuse demonic possession for certain forms of mental illness? I believe there is a difference, but... what would you say is the difference? How does one know the difference?"

The one who posted the question clearly says that there is a difference and asks how we know the difference.  He also asks (that is, he does not state) if certain forms of mental illness have a spiritual, rather than a mental origin.

As I looked at the rating of answers, I saw almost all answers were fairly evenly divided between the + and - ratings; that is, there were people who agreed and people who disagreed, no matter which position the answer took.

We have some absolutely wonderful Hubbers who have a mental illness and I do agree that it is very courageous of them to reveal their struggles, when there is so much prejudice and misinformation about mental illnesses still today.  The good friends of mine who have mental illnesses are also very courageous, and I applaud all that they do to help educate the less knowledgeable about the true face of their illnesses.

But I don't see that we cannot discuss difficult topics at all.  Dr. M. Scott Peck, psychiatrist and noted 20th century author, wrote a book about a few (very rare) situations he had been a part of, involving demon possession and exorcisms.  He was absolutely clear that these cases were different from mental illness.  For many years, he did not mention these cases to any of his colleagues, because he knew that doing so would cause him to lose professional standing and respect.

I hope that we can find ways to discuss difficult topics without people automatically feeling insulted about it.

5. Theresa_Kennedy profile image77
    Theresa_Kennedyposted 12 years ago

There will always be groups who express thoughts that I would rather not be around. It takes all kinds, and sometimes ignorance runs rampant. What can we do, especially when questions such as the one you refer to bring forth such opinions? You can’t protect everyone- though I think it’s sweet that you seem to really be looking out for people here- and you can’t condemn free speech. Everyone has an opinion, and we need to remember that birds of a feather thing. Ignorance does indeed attract ignorance.

But no need to lose faith in human nature! Probably a lot of people who feel the same way as you do, did not bother to write a reply, or even read the question. So questions that appear to be unbalanced are only so because one side is interested in spending their energy on it, while the other side has moved on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)