Spin, spin, spin

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (99 posts)
  1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

My latest find while hub hopping:

"As a explicit art fashionable for an advertising organization, you will job to assist put up for auction customers' crop and/or armed forces to their aim marketplace by your original skill and technological ability. Your skills and ability will be used to put the clients' offerings and brand image in the best possible light, whether through television, the Internet or various print mediums."

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully armed forces have a good aim...

2. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is why I do not go hub hopping, until Hp's puts all new members on probation for the first 10 hubs. This is the only way to make certain their human and not sending spun content.

3. profile image0
      BenjaminBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What you have never "jobbed to assisted" before lmao!

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

This is the kind of thing that makes me feel like my comprehension capsule has been deleted.

3. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

a nice find! I had hoped that the spammers had been dealt with seems one slipped under the radar

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We are the radar.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image62
        CASE1WORKERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh yes, rather forgot that!

4. Uninvited Writer profile image78

Here is today's find:

"The actual apple iphone application shop is definately an abundant cherish residence of useful apps."

1. sofs profile image75
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Boy and they unpublish hubs for having some pixelated  pictures LoL lol

1. Cardisa profile image91
        Cardisaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like my hub yesterday.....what rubbish!

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image75
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh my!

I can't be mad at people from India, or wherever - trying to make a buck on Hubpages.  I only wish that they would write about interesting things, like life in India, and do it in decent English.

I might be asking too much though.

5. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

The thing is Hubpages is combating this by implementing captcha's to stop bots signing up, stop them registering and they can't post this.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image61
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No but they...

http://hubpages.com/profile/ProudlyBuilt

... can create 18 hubs in 25 hours.

HP doesn't give a toss about content. 

edit:  Oh yeah.  I didn't bother flagging.  Nor do I hub hop much except if really really bored.  All the suggestions for stopping the spam have been made and ignored in countless other threads.

Over to you guys.  It's your HP.

1. Mutiny92 profile image65
        Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://hubpages.com/hub/Tool-Review-New … ating-Tool

413 words and 10 ads - how are folks bypassing the 50/1 rule?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image75

I'm going to report this one - thanks for sharing it.  I get absolute hell over my amazon ads all the time.  But not for exceeding the text to amazon ad ratio.

Folks just don't like me, I suspect - and so they focus on me, instead of spam.

There are accounts that have a lot of these...I have flagged them and sent email to team@, but they still exist...

But so are the deceptively titled authors

http://hubpages.com/profile/jojo1000

Even after flagging more than a month ago, they are still allowed to remain published.

(I think they have banned me from FLAGGING!)  smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91

No way, WTS. We like you, we really like you.

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Mutiny92 profile image65

http://hubpages.com/hub/aboutyou

or 18 words (which is the entire hub!) and 3 ebay ads

Why can't HP look at the ebay ID and cross reference it with all the other accounts to address these folks en masse?

I flagged that one too.

I think they should give you a stipend for flagging certain amounts of trash.

I wonder why their automatic filters aren't catching these?

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
                Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think they fired them!  smile

3. agvulpes profile image85
          agvulpesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

18 Hubs and they are virtually all identical? Seems funny how these guys crawl out from under their rocks on the weekends when HP staff don't seem to work?

The could or should designate a "weekend watcher"-- pay overtime.
            Either that or, deny automatic posting for new hubbers on those days. Neither idea is perfect, but something should be done.

2. Danette Watt profile image80
        Danette Wattposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So how can "proudly built" have an accolade for 10 published hubs when I see only 3? I'd like to know how they calculate stuff like that.

1. CMHypno profile image83
          CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The rest will have been unpublished by HP, but the accolade has just not caught up

2. thisisoli profile image80
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Captchas are one line of defence, but not a total line of defence. Some bots can combat captcha, and people can also just sign up manually.

6. Mark Ewbie profile image61
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Here you go HP...

http://hubpages.com/hub/ekopasaj

The first latest spammer, hubber I looked at.

Not bothered flagging.

Why?  Because I am sick of making obvious suggestions to get rid of the rubbish, and police the new stuff.

The site efforts seem to be directed elsewhere.

I'm guessing that Google love isn't coming back any time soon.

Hey Panda, have a look at our site.  It's just as bad as it was four months ago.

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're absolutely right, Mark. That first image was definitely pixelated!

Lol Izzy.

GOSH DARN YOU MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're going to guilt trip me into hub hopping!

7. Mark Ewbie profile image61

And another...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Internet-Dating-Tips-for-Man

Internet Dating Sitessatisfyinnumerable crowd and you justownmany handy options or alternatives. Choosing fromthese alternatives might betedious task but it surelycould bereally worthwhile if you canto uncoverperfect partner in your case. Hereby, I amenlisting essential internetdating tricks forwoman

I put it to you that the 'captcha' ain't really hitting the spot.  If HP are serious about raising standards the FIRST thing to do is STOP the NEW CRAP coming in.

That means... wait for it.. it's the most earth shattering rocket science...

PRE MODERATION for all new Hubbers.  That means all hubbers that have not yet created hubs, because some of these spam accounts were set up months, if not years ago.

Now.  How come I - who am not an internet expert can figure this out and HP can't?

Hmmm.

1. Paradise7 profile image67
      Paradise7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I really couldn't read this.  I thought that nonsense was now being deleted right and left, not by HP, but by Google, who is overloaded with trash and getting rid of it.

8. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Right before I go off to look at this latest gem, can anyone tell me why so many spun articles seem to lose the spacing between words?
    When we see missing spaces, should we be suspicious of spun material?

Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I definitely think it is spun if the words run together. Also when a lot of them are in italics for no reason.

Yes I think so - sometimes copy/paste from site to site does that, and it's a very good sign that something is copy/pasted when you see it.

1. IzzyM profile image88

I've noticed it a few times on obviously spun articles, but sometimes we see what could be decent hub except for one or two spacing errors - when I say one or two, I really mean one or two - so that should raise suspicion? I've never used spinning software so have no idea how easy it would be to accidentally end up with stuck spaces.

Some hubs seem to be written be experts in the field of advertizing - just too good to be true.

If they were that good, why don't they have a real job?

hehehehe.  "Why don't they have a real job?"

Jobs are hard to come by these days, and people are probably still all wanting to be Misha, and average a hundred bucks daily from adsense.  Hell, I'm the same way - except I wish I could average one buck a day from adsense.

I keep forgetting about that "stealth machine" article spinning software - but that's very real, of course.  I've no idea if that software fails to space things, or not.  What I do know is that sometimes I'll see a good quote about something on another site, and I'll copy/paste a quote into my hub to make a point - and sometimes some of the spaces between words come up missing, and have to be manually placed there by me.

1. IzzyM profile image88

I just wanted to explain that comment here about getting a real job. This is my full time occupation and I fight the bailiffs at the door on a regular basis.

We are writers first and foremost, and marketers second. Even the marketers who do well online are not generally the marketers you will read in a glossy magazine.

These guys (and gals)have marketing and writing sales patter down to a fine art, and there is a huge jobs demand for them.

But sometimes I see hubs written in such a way that it has got to be really well spun, or a side-line for a trainee professional marketer. But I still suspect spinning...

Hey, I'm right there with you.  I'm spending virtually all of my time on this project now.  I'm only not making much of anything.

I suspect that my writing about the things that I love, and not the things that I know would be most profitable is a pitfall of mine.  Oh well, I'm not going to stop.  I'm going to keep right on after it until I starve to death, or start to swim.

9. DIYweddingplanner profile image67
    DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years ago

I hopped some and got disgusted when I had to flag nine out of the ten I read for appearing to be spun. Kind of like a bad commercial, hub..."Nine out of ten hubs appear to be crap!" smile

10. Mark Ewbie profile image61

Thing is that the 'author' - oh lol - cannot even see that it is utter nonsense.  Why is it allowed on the site? 

If I was running this site I would be ashamed of this. Embarassed by it.  It would be my number one priority, above ALL other issues, to address this quality problem.

It is of no use or value.  Anyone who accidentally visits HP, and let's face it, who would deliberately choose to? - will immediately back arrow.  If they have any sense they will block the site from subsequent searches.

I find this annoying, depressing and disappointing.  It's been four months since Panda.

If I had a weekend with a couple of programmers we could have an automated spam process and pre moderation in place - right NOW.

But hey.  Lets do something with the comment accolade instead.

1. earnestshub profile image71
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have often wondered why hubpages has not done what you suggest.... They MUST have a reason surely! smile

Of course they do, Earnest. The just don't want to tell us!  It obviously has to do with money in some fashion.  I don't trust them anymore to do the right thing with the writers.  Any of them!  Where there's smoke, there's fire!  mad

1. profile image0

It does seem to be getting sad here in many respects. When I can take a Hub I published 4 days prior and not spin it or do anything and publish it on a newly created blog or website on a Web 2.0 property and it not only outranks the Hub, but also the Hub is buried deep in the never never land then you know things are not good at all.

Hubpages has become nothing more than a place to get a backlink in my opinion and in the future who knows maybe those will be as worthless as the rankings are also.

2. earnestshub profile image71

I have a fair bit of understanding about business as I know you have, but what I can't wrap my mind around, is that they should understand the basics, yet appear not to.

Any long term enterprise needs a reliable source of income, so why can't hubpages see the commercial reality that good articles attract good advertising dollars a lot better than the pile of garbage written by some weak kneed opportunists who have no intention of offering anything of value.

The principles that make or break a business apply here as well. smile

Not here in Fantasyland!  smile

You know Randy, there are a lot of things to like about the platform, and I am not very server-side savvy, but for the life of me, I can't see how we have got to this situation with articles buried under rubble a mile high.

Hubpages is still in free fall according to what I can ascertain, going from positions in the low seventies just a few months ago to 303 today.

I would like to hear what management has to say as to why they don't tighten up who gets to write here and why they don't block 5th rate scammers.

We would all like to know as many of us have asked for the reasons why newcomers aren't made to have their first few articles checked before allowing them to publish at will. 

But no go!  Mum seems to be the official word here. smile

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image67
                  DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You shouldn't be casting negative aspersions on Mum!

Yo Mumma!  lol

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
                    FloraBreenRobisonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh, this is too funny!

2. wheelinallover profile image76
                wheelinalloverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can almost answer that question as another hubber. They put a process in place where the better writers can sort out the trash. This is one of the prices we pay for publishing here. Hub pages is open to all potential writers. I imagine it was set up this way for a reason.

I actually remember the charge I got when an article I wrote for an enzine was accepted. I waited over a week not knowing if it was good enough to be published. Looking back now I see it as a piece of crap with a good message.

The fact that it was published surprises me to this day. I wonder if just the fact that I use one of the products daily and had used others make me an expert. Without the product I go nowhere so maybe it should.

I have heard lately from several people who are either slowly or quickly pulling their hubs from hub pages. One who I have talked to a few times was publishing here but found the exact same work pulls in much higher revenue somewhere else.

What made and makes hub pages special is we are part of a community of like minded people. In essence we choose who gets to stay part of it. Our tool is flagging those who don't meet the standards.

Maybe as a community we can talk "the powers that be" into un-publishing hubs which have been flagged a few times until they can be looked at. I don't think it would be right to take them off for one flag because someone could use it as a weapon against someone just because they didn't like this or that about the author or content.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image61

I went off on one Earnest.  I'd love to know WHY they don't do it.

11. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 13 years ago

The addresses listed as examples have been removed now, so at least this is good. Flora

12. DIYweddingplanner profile image67
    DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years ago

Three down...five zillion more to go...even as we speak...

13. Earth Angel profile image61
    Earth Angelposted 13 years ago

Blessings to all fellow Hubbers!

GREAT topic!

This thread is too funny! HubPages Headquarters HATES the dribble as much, no more, than any of us who write on HubPages!

How does one stop anyone from voting in a democracy? The intelligent, well-educated, well-informed citizen has one vote! But so does the uninformed!

HubPages is an open format! How would HubPages possibly even go about creating software that could distinguish between the sincere, English-not-a-first language, new and welcomed Hubbers from other countries ~ from the spin-dribble that floods this platform!

Each Hub must be judged on its own merit! It's easy for those of us who have been around awhile to tell immediately ~ a software program, not so much!

I spend a few minutes just a couple times a week looking at the LATEST Hubs as they roll in! Many of them need to be flagged immediately!

On the flip side, I have discovered a few really amazing brand new Hubbers that appreciated being welcomed into the fold within moments of posting a GREAT first Hub!

So please, do not stop Hub-Hopping! While it may be entertaining and fun to read Hubbers you've never read before, it is also important that all of us help monitor and eliminate the dribble!

Instead of spending a few minutes bemoaning, spend that same few minutes as a watchdog for a site we all have come to like so much!

Blessings of abundance and insight to all fellow Hubbers!
    Earth Angel!

We all do what we think is right.  A pity none of us knows any more than the others.  And why is that do you think?  smile

14. Mutiny92 profile image65
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

But, in the event you eat a stability, healthy and balanced diet, you can be able to eliminate excess weight properly. Starting out slowly is definitely the essential to your prosperous weight loss program. Managing to drop excess weight will not have to be difficult both.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Do-you-know-Jog … ose-Weight

And to think the hubber is 4 minutes old...

How difficult would it be to pre moderate the first posted hub?

Pop them all in a queue and instead of moderating AFTER publication, moderate BEFORE publication.

If there were too many, then the answer is "there's too many".  Put some obstacles up. Raise the game. Make people who WRITE on here feel that their writing is worth something.

"I got published on HubPages".  Make it feel like an achievement.

Surely this is where the complaints about searches returning rubbish, and Google's change are coming from?  Not new ways to get round the problem, just an old fashioned way to fix it.

Check it first.

1. agvulpes profile image85

Yep I agree entirely with you Mark. In fact some of the old hands may remember that we had a rating system starting us off as 'Protege' then advancing to 'expert' and so-on.
        So IT can be done!
        Why not let the peer group be involved in judging the quality of the lets say first five or so Hubs, after all we do have a vested interest smile

That makes a lot of sense agvulpes.

I agree, we need to ensure a reasonable standard by some automated means.

15. Uninvited Writer profile image78

I've noticed a new spam in the questions, ask if a specific product is good and then someone answers within minutes with a link....of course, no avatars.

Hmm... Do they really expect it to work for them?  Or are they acting on bad advise?

2. DIYweddingplanner profile image67

I've seen this in the forums as well.  Always low to no hubs and low author score.  Should you even have an author score if you don't write any hubs?

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...and the mind-boggling thing is that they get followers!!   big_smile  How does that all work?   hmm  Sockpuppets, maybe?  Indiscriminate "support" of the Hubless or naive belief that someone brand new ought to have followers before writing anything?

It's the follow you, follow me brigade.  I get the odd follower who has chosen me, and thirty others in two minutes.  Makes you feel good inside.

I normally check their stuff, and 50% of the time flag it.

2. DIYweddingplanner profile image67

No, to me what's scary is those who follow people with no hubs just because they share the same wingnut philosophies.  I'm sorry, but aren't there some forums made specifically for that purpose to spew all that negativity?

16. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

My nomination for the "longest single sentence using the the word 'technology' seven or eight times in your first hub" contest:

"A matter of giving all his right, yes we are witnessing some of evolution, but evolution is very slow as ever-to be completed until this development estimated lifespan due to the use of technology is no longer useful, and this is due to the slow pace of technical projects, as well as lack of experience when choosing a technology is to be applied, and are often selection techniques were tested in developed countries for decades to be applied here a confirmation of their effectiveness and fear of failure, and this type of technology called core technologies (Base Technology), which no longer have any competitive advantage and are often from older technologies extinct."

If it wasn't so serious it would be 'very funny' smile

I think it deserves the 'Oscar' as you nominated for:
      "longest single sentence using the the word 'technology' seven or eight times in your first hub"

17. Uninvited Writer profile image78

Why do I torture myself hub hopping? I found one hubber who has 10 hubs published over 10 months and every single one was copied. One from Google Books even...

1. Earth Angel profile image61
      Earth Angelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is incredibly frustrating! I run into that all the time myself! I do hope you flagged!? See my comment above (from yesterday) about the importance of Hub Hopping, and flagging, to help keep the HubPages community clean of that junk! Blessings always, Earth Angel!

2. Lisa HW profile image62

I have old writing on another site that won't pay people if they don't rate x amount (and it's not much that they expect).  For about three years now, I've been doing my bare-minimum rating each month, just to get my $35  (or so) in earnings.  I've told myself it's not bad pay for a few minutes of (unbearable) time each month.  As time has gone on, though, I've actually read so much junk that I feel like I've reached a saturation point and just can't read "yet one more".  Toward the end of my rating days (and decision to sacrifice what had dropped close to $30 or a little less each month) I'd bypass all rating except for poems.

Anyway, at this point I'm all rated out, and kind of hopped-out; but I Hub-hop on here when I can make myself do it, because it's part of the deal.  Honestly (and I"m not exaggerating or being funny when I say this), if you read/see enough of those "horrors" over the course of a few years you can get completely burned out on it, to the point where you just think, "I can not do yet one more of these."

So at this point, I think I'm going to do some hopping for fifteen minutes or so, but I'll get through three before I "get mean" and think, "I just cannot do this."

I like this site for my some of my own purposes and for now, but anywhere else I write from here on isn't going to have the thing that involves voting/rating on other people's stuff.  That's just not how I want to make my money (if I ever again make any  lol ).   (I don't want to see "dramatic", but, really, I'm amazed to discover how bad, and real, that kind of "burnout" can be over something as seemingly minor as rating/hopping a few pieces of writing here or there.  hmm)   If it had been just reading a bunch of stuff that's "normal" writing (but reasonably decent) it wouldn't have happened.

18. Mutiny92 profile image65

I really hope something else is done for quality control on new hubbers or new hubs.

http://hubpages.com/hub/footballooohyeah

I didn't know what to check on that one. smile
      My theory is: That was an HP competitor trying to show what quality control is like over here. sad

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You got there before me. That'll teach me to read all the posts in a thread lol

at least they have nice bocce balls!

I am a fan of screening a hub for mass misspellings.  A 30-40% spelling error rate might be indicative of a poor hub

Did you mean "Miss Masspellings" ?

2. Jeff Berndt profile image72
        Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe HP should offer a bounty on substandard content: the first to flag it gets a penny? After a while, it'd add up... ;-)

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Eeek! That's almost like satire, sort of along the lines of "HP, your quality control is so crap that you'd let THIS through! Mwahhahahahahaha!!"

19. profile image0
    BenjaminBposted 13 years ago

I am more and more amazed at how many people think it's their responsibility to do the work of weeding out stuff. You really feel it's worth that much effort to have a possible chance to make money 60% of the time?

You can put far less effort forth and make the full % from a website or blog of your own that you always have 100% full control over.

What I'm seeing is Hubpages handed out some koolaid somewhere along the way and created an army of people who  are brainwashed into doing the job that the site owners should be shelling out to have done. Yes they built a great business model, one in which they convinced people making small chunks of money to save them literally thousands per year.

There are so many ways Hubpages could set up a system to weed out the crapola, but that would cost them money and why would they ever want to spend that money when they have you to do it for them for free. Stop hopping Hubs and let the downslide continue if you care that much about it as that will be the only way to force their hand into action.

Just my 2 cents once and for all,...done with that topic,..tired of seeing it,...that horse has been beat down into dust on the forums here.

1. Lisa HW profile image62

Benjamin, I'd disagree that it's a "Kool-Aid thing".  Most people know very well what the deal is when they sign up, and a lot of them have their reasons for deciding that "deal" works for them, at least for some purposes.  I give people credit for knowing they could earn elsewhere or write elsewhere, but people often have their own reasons for not having a problem (or at least, not a major one) with a "deal" that kicking in a little rating/flagging on some of "these" writing sites.

It's, I think, valid for someone to be sick of the subject; and I think it's a reality that people are going to get sick of hopping/rating etc. if they do it too much, or for too long.  I just don't believe the idea that most people are just a bunch of Kool-Aid-drinking, brainwashed, folks who have been duped is a valid one (or at least not a valid one in the vast majority of cases).

People do what's right for them at any given time, and depending on how much effort/time they want to put in.  "These" writing sites work for some people under some circumstances.  Besides, people writing for the first time often learn about writing and/or marketing on the Internet.  Sites like this one are what they are, and they work for some people (at least for as long as they keep working for those same people).  Then people do "the next thing" (or not, depending on their own choices/preferences).  Nobody pretends otherwise or claims otherwise.

If someone is interested in aiming to think of ways to improve a site, it's his business and choice.  Sense of community is something a lot of people want on a site, so if people are talking about "site issues" they're also getting that.  Are there people who could be earning more by writing something else/somewhere else?  Sure - but I think they either make their way to that discovery on their own much of the time, or else sometimes opt for less money in favor of any other benefits they may see to writing on a writing site.  These sites are set up and available to anyone who's interested in signing up.  Nobody ever pretends anything is any different from what it is.

A lot of people have cashed in on "the set-up" with sites like this, so I don't really think the Kool-Aid/brainwashed thing is accurate in most cases.  The other side to things is that HP owners/administrators could have set up a different kind of writing site and been far more selective over who signs up - and a whole lot of members wouldn't have been picking up their spare few (or several) hundreds of dollars (or thousands in some cases) a month (or every two months).

1. profile image0

You prove my point with your words Lisa. No one who has drank the Kool-aid ever realizes it as they are brainwashed. There is no deal! Nowhere when I signed up did it say I was required to do their job. It may talk about how they would like to see you do so, but that's the subliminal line to herd the sheep together to do their bidding. That you even consider something that is not a deal to be one is all the proof needed, good day smile

2. Earth Angel profile image61
        Earth Angelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dearest Lisa HW,

Wonderful post above, thank you! Very enlightening! Direct, clear and very Zen!

I pick up trash on the sidewalk as well! Not my job, but a tiny effort on my part makes it that much nicer for the next person!

Blessings on your day! Earth Angel!

Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like that you equate it with picking up trash...that's the way I see it smile

20. Uninvited Writer profile image78

The quality of the writing on the site has a lot to do with how much money we earn, these people are interfering with our livelihood in some cases. No Koolaid involved in that.

And...no one forced anyone to hub hop...purely voluntary. If you don't like it...don't do it.

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image67

Amen, hallelujah, and pass the Kool-aid! smile

21. Mutiny92 profile image65

they just keep coming!

If you haveplausibleof needing a perforated eardrum, will not stick anything into the ear to the ear wax. Objects like cotton bud and bobby pins can worsen the condition of the perforated eardrums. Use paraffin oil or other mineral oils instead to pay off the ear wax. Your articles to be soothe the earache and cause your perforated eardrum to heal naturally.

Nice to know that sticking a bobby pin in your ear can worsen the condition of perforated eardrums - it makes me wonder how the eardrums got to be perforated in the first place!

Hmm and I just wonder what mineral oil would actually 'pay off' the ear wax ? smile

22. wingedcentaur profile image60
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

You know, I have been reading several threads covering this topic; and I have noted a number of points of view. There is just one thing I wonder about, though.

What does the management of this site want HubPages to be? I wonder if they are asking themselves this question enough. I firmly believe that when HP admin asks and answers this question for themselves, they will solve this problem "so fast it'll make your head spin," as it were.

Yeah, we can hub hop, flag, and all that good stuff, if it amuses you; and some of us clearly enjoy ourselves "picking up" and picking on "the trash," as it were. But the powers-that-be at HP have to seriously ask themselves: WHAT ARE WE DOING? WHAT ARE WE DOING ON THIS HERE INTERNET? WHAT ARE WE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH AND WHERE DO WE WANT TO GO? WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO TO GET THERE?

It is my belief that when they ask and answer these questions, this problem that is generating thread after thread after thread after thread of commentary will go away, because they will take the matter in hand!

Let me say that I love HubPages! I think this is probably the best free online, gimmick-free platform for aspiring writers around. I stick to this view in spite of some problems HP has been having lately, what with Google's panda downgrading the ranking of the site; I heard somewhere that HP is sometimes disparagingly referred to as a "content farm."

Look, I believe that HubPages can aspire to be an online equivalent of New Yorker magazine or The Atlantic, something like that: a quality online "magazine" or opinion/commentary/analysis journal of politics, economics, world culture, art, fiction, poetry, etc (as you all know, a very wide range of topics are covered to fellow hubbers).

I would actually like those hubbers, whom are considered good writers to have the benefit of editorial assistance, to make their already high-quality material EVEN BETTER, AS STRONG AS IT CAN BE!!

Look, even Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist are still subject to editorial oversight, as is any "professional" writer. I would love it if HP could dispatch this problem and use the energy to help, in an editorial way, those hubbers considered good and therefore worth the effort.

As I see it, there is a fundamental contradiction about how this site operates, which has been commented upon many, many times before. The fact is that ANYONE can join HP! It is hard to have such an open admission policy and maintain reasonable quality control of content.

However, not just anyone can write for the New Yorker, or The Atlantic, or The Nation, or The Progressive, or Essence, Ebony, or Jet, or The Humanist, etc.

Now, there's no skin off my nose one way or another. But I think HP really, really, REALLY needs to decide which way they want the organization to go. Either they want to remain an open Internet "blogging" site, where anybody can sign up to write, to "express themselves," and so forth. If that is what they want, fine.

But if they choose this option, the rest of us should understand that all the hub hopping and flagging becomes, at a certain point, like trying to nail jello to the wall.

If HP wants to go the other way, try to become an equivalent of an online New Yorker (which I think they have to do to "go to the next level") the powers-that-be will SIMPLY HAVE TO IMPOSE SOME SELECTIVITY!! There's no two ways about that.

My two cents for now.

Thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)