jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)

Can you explain using the +1 button in simple language?

1. K9keystrokes profile image96
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

With the subdomain changes, I am hearing a lot about the "+1" button that can offer a positive impact on readership and/or page rank. Not technically savvy, I am wondering how to use the +1. Can anyone explain in 'VERY simple terms' how to get the +1 operational, implement its function, and mange its advantages?
    Thanks for you help!

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The first step is to create your Google profile.  There's a section where you can add links to your HubPages profile and your "About Me" page on your website or blog (and any other profiles you have). 

However the second step is to link FROM your profiles and "About Me" pages back to your Google profile using a "rel" code.

HP is working on allowing us to do that on HubPages.  I've read the instructions on how to do it on my website but can't follow it myself, so I'm no help there!

K9keystrokesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, thanks this kind of helps me to grasp the notion. tongue

2. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It is a button that you can use to signal to other people, and Google, that you like something. It works very similarly to the Facebook Like button.

This article, for example, has been +1ed by 10 people at current count:
      http://mashable.com/2011/08/03/beluga-whale-mariachi/

What I can not possibly stress enough, even now before we release it for HubPages, is that you should not get in the pattern of only +1ing your own content (or other HubPages content). Google will know, and will likely discount (penalize?) any self-serving (or reciprocal) +1ing. That goes for any other content off HubPages, too, through the mechanism Marisa described.

Since Google knows your behavior, well, forever, it would be good to start on a good foot and spread those +1s far and wide (meaning on many, many different sites and types of content). If you genuinely like something, feel free to +1 it; if you don't, you shouldn't.

This is something we'll be repeating ad nauseum as we approach the rollout of the +1 button on HubPages, which will happen once we move everyone to their own subdomain. smile

Outstanding information Jason, and thank you. I really appreciate that you stress the over-use of the +1 can cause a NEGATIVE result for HPs and those who abuse its true design. Hard to beat Google in the "what's really going on" department. Very clear and helpful (as always).
        Thank you for your valuable time!
        PS-- Will keep Pepto on hand for "at nauseum" approach. Appreciate the heads-up! tongue

2. bestbuys4business profile image58
    bestbuys4businessposted 6 years ago

You need to setup a Google account (gmail) and your Plus + account within that. Plus 1 is similar to Facebook's 'Like' feature.

When you see a website with a +1 and click on the button you sign in using that Google account and you are registered as 'liking' the page.

A great trick is to do keyword searches for your preferred keywords and 'like' you own site, but don't tell anyone I told you that it is a trade secret smile

1. Cardisa profile image93
      Cardisaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Bestbuy, how do I put the plus button on HP?

Great question!

2. Marisa Wright profile image98
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You can't. You can only put it on sites you own.  You don't own HP!

wink

1. Cardisa profile image93
            Cardisaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

OH! I was beginning to think I did...lol...just kidding.

So this plus button is useless when it comes to our hubs then....what a drag!

Bummer...useless would seem to be the word.

3. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Oops, after reading Jason's reply I realize I accidentally went off on a tangent in my reply.

Google released two new features close together:  one was the +1 button and the other was the Google+ "rel=author" feature.  The two are related in a way, and therefore I misread what you were asking, k9!

+1 is a button that can be put on your website - as Jason says, it works like the Facebook Like button.  You add it to your website (but not to HubPages) by pasting some code where you want it to appear. 

http://www.google.com/webmasters/+1/button/

Now here's where I got confused!  There is also a thing called Google+.

If you join Google+, there's a place where you can post links to your profiles on your own websites or on sites like HubPages.  Basically you're letting Google know you're a genuine author.  But to confirm it really is you and you're not just linking to some real author's profile as a scam, there needs to be a reciprocal link on the profile. Which you can't create on HP just yet.

Sorry for the confusion!

You are so smart Marisa; if I had to carry around all of that knowledge you have I would totally tip over!  wink Thank you so much for clearing up any misunderstanding. Great advice on the Google+ tool BTW! Thanks so much for your help! smile

4. R.S. Hutchinson profile image84
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 6 years ago

Do you HAVE to have a gmail account in order to start +1'ing everything? I have like 10 emails already - I don't need another one!!!

1. Nelma profile image61
      Nelmaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hutchinson,
      The "+1" code is available in AdSense page.
      At least for me smile
      Cheers

working