jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (41 posts)

Did I just see a warning from HP that my comment to a Hub is too short

1. Sally's Trove profile image86
    Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago

Unfortunately, I can't seem to duplicate this experience. But a little while ago I started to write a comment to a Hub and got that warning (in red) before I was done with my comment. Am I hallucinating?

1. paradigmsearch profile image86
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I just went and put a 4-letter word comment on your latest hub. There were no problems. big_smile

Sally's Troveposted 5 years agoin reply to this

lol I thought so! And ty for the short comment. smile

But I don't think my eyes deceived me...maybe HP is up to another change and testing it out on select Hubbers.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
        Uninvited Writerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I hope it was a nice 4-letter word smile

It wasn't F*** or anything like that, it was, in fact the word "nice."

2. homesteadbound profile image90
      homesteadboundposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have had this happen to me on comments and in the forums. You are hallucinating, unless we're in this dream together!

I love a shared dream. It lends reality to individual experience. lol

2. Sally's Trove profile image86

LOL, paradigmsearch, I just went to leave a comment on my Hub to your comment. It was just a smiley...smile, and here's the message I got just as I typed it in, in red:

Your comment is rather short.

1. paradigmsearch profile image86

I guess they're not doing it to me because they already know I'm an illiterate commenter (Level One). lol

Nothing illiterate about you.

what keystroke combination makes this laughing face, paradigmsearch?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
          Uninvited Writerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

: lol : without the spaces between the colons lol

2. paradigmsearch profile image86

": l o l :"  without the spaces or quotes. Also, click on the formatting doohickey, lower right for more info. smile

1. homesteadbound profile image90

lol

Thanks! is generally too short also.

Seems to be, for those of us who are granted the high-five of HP vision. Others are left in the lurch.

3. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Hmmm... I think an HP Staffer may be due here soon...big_smile

4. Sally's Trove profile image86

I like the idea...it gives a warning that "Nice" or "Good Hub" don't qualify as valid/meaningful comments, especially since HP now has that commenter level thing. But it would be nice to let folks know that changes are happening rather than letting folks find them out by error, accident, or default.

1. Mighty Mom profile image87
      Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Here's a thought.
      How about writing:
      "I'm writing the minimum number of words to not get my comment flagged before I put in a smiley face which really is all I wanted to say." lol

That would do it. Just keep it as a retrievable piece of text to insert before a four-letter word or a smiley. Yup.

2. jimmythejock profile image85
      jimmythejockposted 5 years ago

I have seen it before when i have tried to answer a question in the answers section with a simple yes or no but never in a hub or forum.....jimmy

TY, Jimmy...never saw it in the answers section, but then, I don't do much there. Maybe it's been around for longer than I think? Or has just shown up in the comments feature. Who knows?

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
      mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years ago

Yes, I have seen this happening for months now in comments on Hubs that look like they are rather short. I usually just add a few more words and it is fine.

Has there ever been an official blog post or post in the official forum threads to tell us about this? I never saw it before today.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
          mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Not that I know of, but I only noticed it by accident as I usually leave longer comments.

.. which you do. smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
              mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years agoin reply to this

LOL, I agree, I could never stop talking, so typing is like the equivalent of talking online smile

4. Moon Daisy profile image84
      Moon Daisyposted 5 years ago

Getting the message "Your comment is rather short.", would make me chuckle.  It sounds kind of like a friendly observation, rather than a warning!  I haven't experienced this so far, as I do tend to go on a bit in my comments.  I'd find it hard to write a one-word answer to anything, lol!  lol

The funny thing is that this message pops up before you finish your comment. Like, if you pause to think while in the middle of a comment, it's there.

I don't think it's a friendly observation. I think it's a way to cover HP's algo for determining level-setting for commenters. I'm a level-6 commenter, but plenty are higher than that not because they leave rich comments, but only because they comment...a lot.

Food for thought, especially in the absence of any word from HP.

5. Moon Daisy profile image84
      Moon Daisyposted 5 years ago

...But it is interesting to know about this. smile  Thanks.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61
      LindaSmith1posted 5 years ago

That has happened to me even though I wrote a complete sentence,at least.

So, we've got to wonder what this is about. I find it grossly annoying, as a message in bold and red text, but I also find it inappropriate. At least let this message appear when you submit your comment, but not before. And it also annoys me that there's been nothing from HP that explains what this is.

7. GmaGoldie profile image83
      GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

I had this happen too! Apparently, being concise is not what we are here for! Oh, boy, am I in trouble!

I don't think you are in any trouble at all...maybe HP is. To be concise is to make a point in few words. Whatever is going on here isn't discriminating between contributing and spamming.

Now that I think about it a bit more, is there a value HP is placing on numbers of words as opposed to the content of the words? This reminds me of the poetry debate.

8. bangingbeauty profile image60
      bangingbeautyposted 5 years ago

I got this same message before too when I typed the word "hi" and pressed the enter button accidentally big_smile

9. Sally's Trove profile image86

This is so interesting. Sort of like a ghost popping up now and again. HP at work on another improvement?

10. Tom Schirmer profile image59
      Tom Schirmerposted 5 years ago

Hi all.  There has been a minimum length rule for comments for quite a while, but we recently upgraded the code we use to detect and message it, which inadvertantly caused the error to be checked while typing, rather than just on submit, as it was before.  I'll do a bit of tuning to switch it back to being submit only.  Sorry for any inconvenience or confusion.

Ty, Tom, for the response, but that still doesn't address the question about the value of a concise and totally appropriate comment which may not meet HP's requirement for numbers of words. There is a world in a grain of sand (William Blake).

11. christmaswoman12 profile image61
      christmaswoman12posted 5 years ago

I got that message today

12. barryrutherford profile image36
      barryrutherfordposted 5 years ago

Unaccustomed as i am to making comment for the lack of brevity.  I find it far too hard to make short succinct comment but on this occasion i have very little to say in this thread other that an simple comment like nice hub smile

1. carol3san profile image59
        carol3sanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I've never seen that warning sign before.  I wonder just how many words you have to type before they consider your response a good one?

working