Is there any way of blocking someone from commenting?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Bard of Ely profile image78
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

I have a recent hub and a new hub that I am having problems with a crazy person I know who is posting comments under various anon identities. Is there any possible way of blocking them from my account on HubPages? The best I can do at present is keep deleting their often very rude posts.

2. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

That must be really annoying, Bard! There ought to be restrictions on people with Anon identities posting things on hubs. But then I know some people who love getting them when their hubs go viral! You should email the support folks and say it to them!

3. sparkster profile image84
    sparksterposted 12 years ago

Hi Bard,

I've recently had the same problem.  You can change your settings so that all comments must be moderated before you approve them and then you can delete unwanted comments.  The only disadvantage being that comments won't be visible until they've been moderated so there can be no real-time conversations happening.

You can this for each hub in the comments section or you can do it globally so it affects all of your hubs.  Hope that helps.

1. CyclingFitness profile image86
      CyclingFitnessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bard

While it may seem annoying the great thing for you is someone is spending heaps of time on your page while commenting which subsequently helps your bank balance!

This person is actually helping you

Might be worth letting them comment for a while, then going backing and 'denying' their comments

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
        FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As someone who had a troll posting 15 comments in a short period just making fun of my choice of photographs, I have to disagree as the person was not even reading the hub. However, this is indeed why all my hubs are moderated. Even though I still see bizarre spammy comments, at least no one else does.

2. Bard of Ely profile image78
        Bard of Elyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The problem is this person is really hard work. I had the misfortune to get in correspondence with them over 10 years back on the mp3.com forums. Basically if you agree with them they are sane and intelligent and friendly but dare to disagree and all manner of insults come pouring forth in a torrent of abuse! It is impossible to reason with them when they are like this. The person is a musician and songwriter which was the mutual interest factor that started me talking to her all those years back but I know no way of getting rid of her stalking what I post. This has all erupted because of a woman singer-songwriter I recently posted about and whom the person causing problems is very jealous of and used to post outright lies about on mp3.com and elsewhere! I am tempted to publish a hub about who this is which would get an awful lot of traffic but it will be so much work moderating and deleting comments!

This person can post a tremendous amount of text and once sent me 20 emails the same day.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
          FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

if she is a stalker than HP staff needs to be notified. One of my followers had this issue with her ex and he was banned from the site as a result.

My friend Priscilla, who is a singer-songwriter who has had problems for years with this person who used to be known as Marissa Marchant - if you want to Goggle her - regards her as a stalker. I can see why. Basically she singles people out - usually women performers and then posts insulting remarks on forums and on videos. It is not just my friend because Norah Jones, Madonna, Celine Dion and Taylor Swift have also been targeted. Marissa is impossible to reason with! I have tried again and failed and so I have now reported the matter to the team here. Marissa told me some time back she was off the Internet and didn't want any publicity and I accepted that but she is back with a new site, a new name - Peoniesfleur, and a YouTube channel. She got an incredible amount of publicity years ago, both wanted and unwanted, and probably will again mostly because of her antisocial Internet behaviour not her music. Her behaviour is abusive and bizarre (she is very arrogant and egotistical) but she is also a talented musician and can make logical points about the state of the music industry and the world. I don't know what the answer is. If I allow her to post what she wants to say my friend will be offended as she has been by abuse from this person in the past! If I keep deleting then more comments get posted and I have to attend to them. My mistake was ever having begun correspondence over 10 years back!

4. sabrebIade profile image77
    sabrebIadeposted 12 years ago

I had to do that with someone.
    They kept making ugly comments and they got uglier and uglier till I finally pointed out HP's rules against "Hate Speech" (the comments were getting quite racist) and they stopped.
    I then went back and deleted all their comments.

5. homesteadbound profile image81
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

If they are all coming from the same IP address, and they are spam, I think the HP staff can block that IP address.

I hope you are right because it may come to this. I have just cleaned up the hubs that were affected and am praying they will get the message and go away. I had posted I do not want to argue.

1. homesteadbound profile image81
        homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good luck. After reading further comments, I think you should probably notify the staff. You may not be the only one that she is harrassing. But if I remember correctly, you should be marking her comments as spam rather than deleting them. That gives the staff the leverage they need and the information they need to make their decision.

She started out being complimentary but later on in her comments became very insulting calling me "wacko" and a "lowlife" amongst other things. I got rid of them all and hope she doesn't come back!

2. Bard of Ely profile image78

It is likely to only be me because I am the only person on here she knows and her behaviour is repetitive and selective eg she will only pick certain hubs of mine and then keep posting comments in them whilst ignoring others. She also repeats herself over and over again and has done for years!

6. MarloByDesign profile image77
    MarloByDesignposted 12 years ago

Email HubPages 'Contact Us' to get them banned. Also, provide a link in your email to HubPages so they can easily see the 'bad' comment.

I have now done this because I am sick of having to read and delete the comments that were kept up all night and more this morning.

7. Pearldiver profile image69
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

A 10 Year Relationship Bard?  yikes

Perhaps she is seeking spousal rights big_smile

Have you considered writing a hub on the difficulty some men have when they can't pump their tyres up successfully? 
    Or perhaps a hub on 'How To spot a female stalker in 10 easy years?'

Be proactive rather than reactive mate... Valentine's is just around the corner! smile

Write a New Specific Hub that 'bursts her bubble' indirectly and I think you will solve your problem!  At the same time Turn Off ALL your comment capsules, so that no body can comment.... and then watch the source of your views to the new hub!

Bit of a pain... but hey sometimes you have to shake the fleas of your dog! sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)