The Question of Suicide

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/9185769.png
    What circumstances and situations is suicide ever justifiable?  What legitimate reasons is there for suicide?   Do you contend that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES is suicide ever justifiable?  What are YOUR thoughts, opinions regarding suicide?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

I think that if a person is in their right mind, and has a rational reason to want to end their life with no outside coercion it should be permitted. For example in the case of a progressive and terminal disease that leaves them with no enjoyment of life.

3. God shet profile image60
    God shetposted 8 years ago

what if - we were to live for ever?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you commit suicide it is very bad Karma.* It shows you do not respect the Gift of life that God gave you. The Karma is this: To learn to appreciate a sound body, you reincarnate into a body which is not perfect. Once I worked with kids with pretty severe special needs. They were mentally disabled, autistic and some had downs syndrome. Many of the older teens and one in particular had a fascination with weapons, guns and knives.  One time the one wrapped a curtain cord around his neck and said, "BYE BYE, Cheyenne."

I was pretty creeped out.

*This consequence/karma is a given in metaphysics and esoteric teachings.

1. God shet profile image60
        God shetposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I meant ~ what if - we were to live in this very body for ever?

1. Say Yes To Life profile image80
          Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually, according to the Near Death Experience site, terminally ill people who commit suicide go to heaven.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
            gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Ms. Hill was addressing I believe is  willful suicide.  That is people who commit suicide to escape from their problems or a less than perfect life.  For example, a person has not succeeded in the way, h/she wants and is living a life far below his/her human potential.  H/she sees his/her life as one, long purgatorial angst.  So instead of living such a life, h/she believes that suicide is the alternative as such a life will be no longer.  What Ms. Hill is proposing is that suicide as an escape from a less than perfect life only incurs more negative karma as that person has to relive the events of his/her life yet again until the problem is solved.  I read such a premise in many books dealing with reincarnation and listening to some programs on the topic on some afterlife blog radio shows.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
            Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would not agree, but then I have never known that type of pain. 

http://news.yahoo.com/assisted-suicide- … 17734.html

2. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

Simple and sad fact , we will never understand suicide ! Nor control it either ,  It is simply too many different things ,  a cry for help in one attempt  , another is a absolute way out of a painful existence , you're not going to stop that one  if he so choses ,   Terminal sickness for one means they are really  not even going to "reach out " for help!   It is also already illegal in many states . I believe it will be around forever .

3. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 8 years ago

I think each person should be allowed to determine their own path. People seem to have a couple different reasons for being against suicide. I often see people say that if someone is depressed they shouldn't be allowed to commit suicide because they are not mentally stable. Yet if this same depressed person were to walk in a theater and kill 15 people they would still go to jail, depressed or not. So we can't really pick and choose on that aspect unless the person has become more delusional. Other people claim it is against their God. This also is an invalid argument because one person's view of their God may not be the same as the person wanting to commit suicide.
      Life can suck for many. If someone feels the only way to solve the problem is through suicide I am not one to stop them. Life is different for each of us. I saw someone commit suicide when I was in foster care.Just as I was looking out of my window I could see him through his window kicking a chair out from under himself. I could not get to him (boys and girls were separated into different wings of the building). I ran to staff and told then ran back to my room. By the time they got to him it was too late. He was a 13 year old boy who was in the facility because he had sexually abused his little sister, he had a ton of guilt, and his parents never came to visit him. At the time this devastated me. I look back on it now and think he was way too young to make an informed decision, but it isn't my place to dictate what anyone else should think, feel, or do. Life is personal.

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Peeples  ,  That is so sad , I don't know anyone with any humanity at all that wouldn't  or shouldn't try to council someone against taking their own life , Especially a  13 year old .

2. IslandBites profile image88
        IslandBitesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Agree 100%.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

In the news today.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/a … /64347.htm

His wife said they could have worked through it.  What would cause such a man in this position to take his own life? I think it is a matter of extreme self-orientation.
      He could have cared more about others. His family is devastated.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

My friend's mother had dementia and got to the point where she really didn't want to live. She had very little appetite and one day her daughter exclaimed, "Mom, if you don't eat, you could die!"
      This made sense to the woman and she stopped eating.

I've heard that in some Native American tribes, once an older woman got to the point where she was quite feeble, she would set off for the mountains to die alone.

On the other hand, my 83 year old neighbor had become so sick that it seemed her time was up; but after a year, her health returned. Even though she looks older and is thinner now, she is strong enough to have another garage sale.

6. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 8 years ago

It's a hard question. One should have the right to make decisions for themselves but, other than in the case of terminal illness I can't imagine being able to find a way to set up a system where we could ensure that the person contemplating suicide was making a sound choice for themselves. I personally know of no suicides which weren't tragic examples of humans who wrongly believed their lives were ruined. Each one ruining the lives of those around them because the ones left living would always wonder what they could have done to prevent it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)