jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)

Word Pronounciation!

1. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

Word Pronounciation!

What word or words do you have the most difficutly in pronouncing. Mine has to be anaesthetist. Also Antarctic I always say 'antartic'. Very annoying but I can't get my tongue around them!

2. txngalMT profile image60
    txngalMTposted 6 years ago

I would have mainly have trouble with "suggestion, suggest," I tend to use the word alot, but I couldn't get people to understand.  I would normally replace "suggestion" to advice.

3. Just Ask Susan profile image89
    Just Ask Susanposted 6 years ago

tsunami I really have to think about this word before I say it.
    Diverticulitis is another one. There are probably more but those two came to mind when I first saw your question.

4. FranYo profile image59
    FranYoposted 6 years ago

It's a little word, but I have trouble getting the word "rural" off the tongue.

5. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

First may I suggest your using the term "Word Pronunciation" (not pronounciation)  smile

I have trouble saying rural as well, and mostly I just have trouble spelling the word "fucsia."  Is that even spelled right?  I dunno lol..

6. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 6 years ago

For me, I had difficult to pronounce the word - Fluid

I used to say it as - flute

And that gets all my friends laughing their hearts out. It is kinda tongue twisting for me to get it right during my school days.

Luckily now I am able to get it right.

7. Rosie2010 profile image77
    Rosie2010posted 6 years ago

There are a lot of words I find difficult to pronounce.  I find it difficult to pronounce words with "th" such as "width" or even simple words "mother" or "father."  I must also mispronounce "fries" as I often get "rice" with my order instead of "french fries."

8. BaliMermaid profile image56
    BaliMermaidposted 6 years ago

Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious and
    antidisestablishmentarianism are the two that throw me. But seriously I cannot roll my r's and that makes a lot of words incorrectly mispronounced.

9. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

Ooopppps!!! Sorry about the gross spelling mistake pointed out by Faceless 39! My only excuse and it's a poor one, is that I had a few glasses of lovely wine before I wrote the question!!! LOL!

10. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 6 years ago

Good pronunciation is a good thing to strive for, but the main point for me is communication. Does the other person understand what you're saying?

I never had trouble with pronouncing "fuchsia" (FEW-shuh), but like Faceless39, spelling it has always been a hassle.

I've had the privilege to speak with a wide variety of people from many corners of the world. Learning to understand their pronunciation has proved to be a challenge, but a delightful learning experience. On the other hand, my learning to pronounce other languages has been a mixed bag. My pronunciation of Spanish was so good as a teenager, that a visitor to a neighbor from Dominican Republic thought I was native born and rattled off more Spanish than I had learned. But my greatest difficulties with Russian proved to be that of mastering sounds that are not found in English.

I remember when I was a small boy, my younger brother, Terry, could not pronounce "truck." It always came out "fruck," which cause great roars of laughter amongst the adults. Frankly, at the time, I didn't see what was so funny.

11. Freegoldman profile image37
    Freegoldmanposted 6 years ago

"advertisement,fiduciary,preternatural,obstreperous,consubstantiation,rambunctious" nd a few more

12. EmpressAwesome profile image60
    EmpressAwesomeposted 6 years ago

Haha! I have trouble with those words as well, Seeker7. Also, abominable and anemone. Maybe it's just because I don't say them very often.

13. Nellieanna profile image81
    Nellieannaposted 6 years ago

eleemosynary

I can spell it better than I can pronounce it.  Those double EEs are the snag.  They're not both supposed to be pronounced but I tend to try to.

14. Bubblegum Senpai profile image88
    Bubblegum Senpaiposted 6 years ago

Wednesday. I have a lot of trouble, and usually just pronounce it "Wensday"

15. jg555 profile image60
    jg555posted 6 years ago

I would have to say February and wednesday.

working