learning new words

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (173 posts)
  1. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

I have learnt a few new words, from other writers recently, but want to increase my vocabulary even further..... anyone got a word that sounds nice.... could be added to a poem, that is quite unusual.... please keep it clean... if you can....

latest new word ethereal.....

post a new word and it's meaning...

thanks

1. profile image0
      HubTubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have some very nice hubs.  A lot of people on here consider me to be a big pain; however, I just try to give friendly advice on grammar when I believe I can help.  Just a friendly tip on the word "learnt."  The correct usage and spelling is "learned."  Good luck with your continued writing.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is that a Fact???  Actually you might well consider yourself to be a big pain for perfectly valid reasons! hmm 

You are 'correcting' someone of English origin learned in Queen's English! (Not American English)
        Perhaps it would be a Great idea, if you are planning on making a career out of being a large pain... that you learnt that you are often mistaken! lol
        Just trying to give friendly advice; in a Humo(u)rous manner hmm

2. profile image0
        \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh right thanks for that..... any words you could share with us...

3. profile image0

not wishing to be smart, but according to wickepedia, this is the correct spelling..... sorry about that..... if you look through my work, you will find lots of grammatical errors... but i do love to get the spellings right, or is it write, no right first time..... or was it know, no right first time, eat your hat now.......

1. profile image0

Perhaps you have some different resources on the Internet that you use in your country.  However, I am only familiar with Wikipedia myself.  In doing some research I found that "learnt" is used more often in the British culture, so I apologize for trying to correct you.

I think I'll just stick to doing my own thing and lay off trying to make any comments in the forum.  Not that anybody has scared me off.  It just isn't worth my time.  I make more money and better use of my time when I don't rely on wasting my time fighting with people in the forums, even though that really has never been my original intention at any time.

Again, best of luck to you with your hubs!

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
            Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That would be lovely. smile

1. tantrum profile image61
              tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

2. profile image0

You are most welcome. smile

3. Eaglekiwi profile image75
              Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol nahhh HubTub ,stick around, we will show ya, ahem you the ropes and even how to talk proper..wink

1. wrenfrost56 profile image57
                wrenfrost56posted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL!big_smile

2. tantrum profile image61
            tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So why did you spent so much time in this forum ? Are you looking for fans ?

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58

I'm sure she'll be way too busy making huge amounts of cash in a highly educated manner to answer that. wink

Look back through this thread and notice that she is very selective about who and what she will respond to. lol

2. profile image0

I spent time in the forums to peruse useful information.  I came across something of interest to me, made a comment, and unfortunately started a whirlwind of pandemonium.

Personally, I do not believe fans are going to make anyone money, and I truly have no interest in having a fan club whatsoever.

I hope that answers your question.  :smile

4. shamelabboush profile image50
        shamelabboushposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you should re-review your answer about this HubTub bcz both words (Learnt & learned) are used but the difference is one is Britain and the other is American...

1. profile image0

we are talking English here man..... why did that person correct me, when i speak the queens english, what right have americans to change it anyway.....

1. shamelabboush profile image50

I know Brenda, I recognized that, but I was just clearing the issue for HubTub... Sorry if I bothered you though!!!!!

1. profile image0
              1. profile image0

Depression, can hit any one at any time...... Never tell a depressed person to snap out of it.  If they could they would.If the depressed person is close to you, try to spend quality time with them...... Listen to what the depressed person is saying,,,,,, and not saying..

Seek medical help..... A depressed person, can easily sink deeper and deeper into the depression, and medication, is sometimes necessary.  Ignore tears when you are talking to a depressed person if possible, tears are good they mean they feel comfortable enough with you to let go.... it will be a release for them.

Above all be kind to a depressed person, depression is a horrible nightmare..... it is nice when the nightmare is over.  Usually when a depressed person recovers, the person that has listened and helped, becomes bonded it is a wonderful thing....

1. profile image0

how did that get on here oops

2. shamelabboush profile image50

Thanks Brenda, you're such a wonderful persom. Spelling is my expertise actually as it's a major part of my study.... Anyway, I didn't go deeper into syntax or conjugation though lol... just a simple, small, tiny and microscopic rule smile

2. profile image0
            ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL Brenda, our forefathers were so pissed off at King George they dint want anything to do with anything the British or English. They changed to coffee and made their own spelling of words, correctly so I might add. LOL Learnt sounds so, so low class, hehe

5. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"What is the difference between 'learnt' and 'learned'? These are alternative forms of the past tense and past participle of the verb learn. Learnt is more common in British English, and learned in American English. There are a number of verbs of this type (burn, dream, kneel, lean, leap, spell, spill, spoil etc.). They are all irregular verbs, and this is a part of their irregularity." - Source AskOxford

I wish that I was here to respond when you insulted the great man World Of The Wise. Please get off of your high horse, or go back to where you came from. Picking people out for their spelling is in no way 'friendly', we have spell check to do that without the possibility of public humiliation. I hope that you have LEARNT something new today, and good luck with your continued learning.

1. emievil profile image67
          emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Er Ryan, if you were here, you would get another 3-day suspension. That thread really got everybody's ire up and believe me when I say it would have gotten yours, too smile.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75

You forgot to mention our excellant equine abilities Em lol

LOL, you're right EK. Xena would have been proud of us lol

2. profile image0

I know I would, I sat and read it all.... I was pretty furious myself to be honest. But Frogdropping's subsequent thread was all that needed to be said. I thought long and hard about setting up another account to have a pop, but everybody was dealing with the situation just perfectly - so there was no need wink

Despite my recent bitterness, I still love hubpages a lot, and the general vibe on here is ace, the people are great.

It is so much more relaxed and friendly then other online communities..... and that is worth defending..... smile

Yup froggy really played a big part in cooling everybody's head smile.

Glad you said the last part smile. We were really waiting for you to come back you know. smile

And Davina and Pearldiver began positive edifying threads too smile
                Just amazing and uplifting....

But hey just thought this morning ,havent seen Atoms for ages or Mark come to that , except maybe his opology ,if it was even Mark?

1. profile image0

Mark has emailed me today to tell me that he banned for a second time.... I hope that means that he can come back. Hopefully Atomswifey has d...d...d...d.... oh, that damn personal attack rule again. lol

Ok thats cool , I mean cool to know whats what.
                    My gut feeling is another hubber sounds alot like AW, like so much so to be maybe her, not absolutely sure .

I will just be myself all the same, but it does get sooooo tiresome different ego's all the same.

Has made me rethink my opinions on what I think a forum is now.

6. Lady_E profile image62
        Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Noooo!  Am I seeing what I am reading?

HubTub, Its nice to have you back in Forums. In respect of your comments above, all I can say is read the links below. Some Food for Thought. smile

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/22058#top

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/21166#top

7. profile image49
        jay raneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think  your "frendly" advice is correct,maybe you should go and read some grammer book

1. profile image0

This is exactly the point I was trying to make when I first made my comment on World of the Wise.  You come on this forum, having only joined just hours ago, and attack me.  However, you cannot even spell the word "friendly" or "grammar" correctly.  This is the kind of thing I was trying to point out.  I do not need to read any grammar books.  I know how to spell the previous two words correctly, and you obviously do not.

1. profile image0
            Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great.  But you still get a B in my composition class, due to comma splices and general quality of participation, wink.

1. profile image0

Hi Lita:

I really would appreciate it if you would be so kind to point out my comma splices in my previous comment.  The only comma splice I can possibly see that would be grammatically incorrect would be where I used this example:  "I know how to spell the previous two words correctly, and you obviously do not."

Otherwise, as far as I am concerned, the rest of my comma usage is correct.   smile

1. profile image0

Yeah, lol.  That would be it.  And I was talking about some of your other posts, frankly...on other threads.

Are you being serious here being so didactic?  It's just coming off as funny to me.

1. profile image0

Thanks for clarifying.  Yes, I am being serious.  Glad I am finally able to make you laugh.  You are obviously an intelligent woman.  Going back to the "beginning" of this entire ordeal, I would hope you would understand my position on why I made the comment I did.  Everybody makes mistakes, including myself.  I am sure you would not enjoy reading an article worded the way World of The Wise posted in the forum anymore than many other people would.  That was really all I was trying to say.  I am not an expert on the English language and have never claimed to be one.  However, I do take a little pride in being able to spell, capitalize, etc.  I hope you understand what I am trying to convey.

1. profile image0

lol  Well, OK...  Yeah, I do get it, actually.  And no, I don't read stuff like that.  You have to realize though, that some of the people here are actually attempting to make $$ off there hubs, etc...and more power to them.  I also taught a little ESL...and as I'm sure you know, surveillance and knit picking students doesn't help them.  Some ESL types have also related they come to the forums to practice their English.  Nothing wrong with that, right?

And actually, because there are a few people here who 'rule' the forums (or think they do), you probably caught someone on a bad day and it snowballed...  I always think that's quite a cute trait, too, when I see it here, wink.

2. profile image0
            cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I came to the forums to find some useful information, and found something that interested me. Then I commented on it and that seemed to get some people upset.

I don't think a big fan base is going to make hubbers any money, so I'm not really looking for fans. Does that help?

*the previous post has been edited for stuffiness and pomposity*

every writer, editor, or someone who presents themselves as a grammarian as you profess to be, no matter how seasoned or experienced, needs to consult a reference, whether it is Strunk and White's, the Chicago Manual of Style, etc. and apply those rules with precision. sometimes you need to bend the rules a little bit to avoid awkwardness - that is the hallmark of any good writer.

which you are not.

you give English and Communications majors a bad name, so kindly put a sock in it.

thanks! smile

1. profile image0

I will be more than glad to "put a sock in it" when you stop being so pompous and righteous and leading others to believe you, yourself, are holier than thou.  Are you perfect?  I am not!

1. profile image0

yay, you finally admitted it. thank you! smilesmilesmile

as for "leading others", i work alone. and as for being "pompous and self-righteous", you've got that market cornered all on your own, no doubt!

1. profile image0

Apparently you have missed several of my posts, as I have stated several times that I am in no way perfect.  Apparently you do not work alone.  If this were true, you would not be participating in this forum.  You come across to me as an extremely hostile person.  I have admitted my mistakes here on the forum.  Why do you continue to attack me?

1. Misha profile image63
                    Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why?

2. profile image0

you know what?

i'm not going to help hijack Brenda's nice thread anymore. you can say anything you want to further your own strange little Jihad, but you're not going to do it off of me. people like you aren't worth the attention. good luck with that! big_smile

2. Mrvoodoo profile image58

Brilliant! lol

Sorry I mean: I was perusing your comment when suddenly I felt the most compelling urge to chortle most heartily. big_smile

2. shamelabboush profile image50

Define NEW here Brenda? You might already know it!

1. profile image0

well words that we don't use every day....  words we may know but are not so familiar with.... i honestly do not have a very large vocabulary.... and some words i see for the first time i just fall in love with.... any word you like the look of, or the meaning of, but is not used too much share o.k.

Hope you're ok with these?

Celestial: extraterrestrial, ethereal….
          Hark! Poetical use. Listen up….
          Ambrosia: God’s food
          Verily. Indeed.

1. profile image0

oh yes i like those, all of them they are just exactly what i am looking for.  Thanks

3. profile image0

this one is good for poetry: propitious (means favorable; auspicious)

and these are just words i have always liked:

jettison

paradigm

connoisseur

oblivion

fuselage

ricochet

pentagram

ephemeral

tuxedo

panacea

labyrinth

soigné

parameter

absolution

idiosyncrasy

nadir (I like the meaning of it, and it has its poetic uses as in "The stars are walking to their nadir."

Words I hate, I mean, can't stand:

guesstimate

savvy

snazzy

AKA

verbiage

facilitate

reconnoiter

gallivant

nomenclature

copacetic (sounds good but it is way overused when people want to look cool)

gobsmacked

ubiquitous

imbroglio

tintinnabulation

blog

smile

1. profile image0

I like to be savvy and guesstimate the potential earnings of each post to my snazzy new blog Cosette. Sometimes I am dissapointed by the results, but I am often left gobsmacked by my earnings at hubpages. Its great that the staff strive to facilitate these potential earnings with a very high quality platform. Regards, ryankett AKA Ryan. lol

1. profile image0

big_smile big_smile

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Hello there.... did you see the light of day on another thread?

My Word is: Scullywag.

It means: A hard case (funny, witty person) who has mischievious ways and is affectionately thought of. smile
    I might have spelt it wrong? hmm

1. profile image0

well hello darling, an extra little bone for you today....have you seen Not Telling..... wonder if he has a word for us

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Is Scallywag youre middle name by any chance wink

3. R P Chapman profile image61
      R P Chapmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Might have been corrected already, but it's scallywag (with an A), and is often shortened to scally in popular usage in the scouse dialect on Merseyside (liverpool).

3. Pare Bellum profile image57
    Pare Bellumposted 14 years ago

Not new but underused,

Apocalyptic - prophetic of devastation or ultimate doom

1. profile image0

yeah that fits the bill...... thanks for that

4. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

Hey Brenda here are a couple of words I like:

Undulating - to move with a sinuous or wavelike motion;
    Strumpet - an old English word for a tart.
    Quixotic - Caught up in the romance of noble deeds and the pursuit of unreachable goals; idealistic without regard to practicality

smile

1. profile image0

Quixotic are us...... how about that for a title of a poem eh?????  i love that word

Oh yea havent heard strumpet for ages lol luv it

5. profile image0

wow i am liking this thread already..... some of these words are quite scrumptious ...... is that spelt right??????

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Shouldn't that be spelled? big_smile I know spelt is correct...

I don't know how we ever got on without HubTub roll

I'm as much a grammar Nazi as the next person but I don't correct grammar on forums or emails... it's bad form...

6. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Hi Brenda. Great thread smile.

I can think of one word (though I don't know how this will fit in your poetry and if it is really new to you):

pedantic - overly concerned with minute details or formalism (dictionary.com) smile

1. profile image0

yes that is perfect..... it actually does not need to go in a poem even...... as long as i have some new words to play with, who knows where they will go.....

7. shamelabboush profile image50
    shamelabboushposted 14 years ago

This is another dose Brenda smile

-Libation: rubbing the body with oil in preparation for the festival according to the Greeks. It was used in the Odyssey and The Iliad.
    -Sylph: a very graceful and beautiful girl. Nymph.
    -Anthropomorphosis: transformation into something else.
    -Jettison: making the ship lighter by disposing heavy materials off the ship in a stormy weather.
    - Gunwale: /gunl/: the upper edge of one of the ship sides.
    -Exsufflication: exaggeration. Invented by Shakespeare I think and was mentioned for the first time in Hamlet!

1. profile image0

i am liking them and you thanks soooooooooo much, you are a great man, honestly you can deliver....

***SHY***
        big_smile

2. emievil profile image67

Wow, some of these words I didn't know existed. hehehe Just want to add my thanks to Brenda's.

8. profile image0

you are not bothering me Shamel i am always delighted to see you.  Hub Tub should look before leaping

9. profile image0

here here or hear hear or whatever stupid old fart

10. GeneralHowitzer profile image68
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

amicable and this is you hehehe, hi kiwi girl...

Aww how gracious of you General smile

ps. Can you please give me a ping site, my neon bulbs have quit on me lol

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image68
        GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Im using pingates and ping o matic hehehe... its working for me I guess but I think one of my hub being featured is the one thats making me click I guess... Cant see our views with Hub Statistics not working well... I'm just relying on adsense account to see my page impressions...

Ok cool thankyou berry berry much smile

11. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

peripatetic, or how 'bout portmanteau?

"portmanteau"!!!!!!!!!!! What is that??????? An archaic one smile So funny... I havent seen or read that for many years... lol

Ohhhhhh its a hat or suitcase?? my dad used to use that word

2. profile image0

what do those words mean?????

1. profile image0

Well dear, that's why you are here innit? Look 'em up and use them. LOL one has to do with travel and the udder has to do with, er, wordplay.

12. profile image0

WERE YOU SURPRISED AT YOUR POPULARITY, OR DID YOU KNOW YOU WERE EVERYONE'S FAVE GUY

1. profile image0

I was very very suprised Brenda, but very proud and happy too. But I think that everybody has been pulling together against a couple of bad eggs, the same kind of thing would have happened if you or one of many other people had left smile

I wouldn't say that I am everybodies fave guy lol, there are a few very good guys on here that don't like me... but I admire their honesty with regards to that. I just people that can be themselves. It was just me being a bit passionate and emotional, was never gonna leave in the first place. But, if I was going to leave, everybodies reaction that would have changed my mind big_smile

I suspect that I will be banned again one day. Next time I will go without the fuss lol Mark Knowles (for the second time) and PirateGirl are currently banned, so lets look forward to welcoming them back in a few days.

1. profile image0
        1. profile image0

lol only when I'm on form..... I have been told that I can be a bit selfish in bed, have to work on that wink Other than that no complaints!.....

1. profile image0

what's the language like.... all men are selfish.....

I love Ryan cuz he helps me ( in a challenging smart arse kinda way) 'unprolific writer indeed' lol, and sometimes his fiery nature spills over into um the bakery section lol but I know when that fire is under other topics , wooooohooooo, Guy Fawkes would be proud of him!

edit : (sorry if smartarse is on the disallow list)

13. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 14 years ago

INDELIBLE!  I love that word.  Not sure why, and I never get the chance to use it (i live in french), but for some reason I love it.  It means indestructible, everlasting, enduring,  ineffaceable...and the list goes on.

Hope you like it.

1. profile image0

i likes it a lot.... i have heard of indelible ink, ages ago but had forgot the word...... thanks a lot

14. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Good points Ralwus and yep is a Brit/American rival thingy.

Kinda cool though because I notice in NZ and probably other Western countries we have a mix of English/American language now ,specially noticeable amoung our teens big_smile aight lol

Wasnt English actually a collection of many languages throughout Europe and not specifically England at all?

1. profile image0

Ya, it's why English is so hard to learn for non-English speakers. Chit, it's hard nuff for me. LOL So many words and dialects, where to begin?

My dad always said English and Japanese were the hardest languages to learn , English wasnt his natural tongue ,but he had an excellant command of it and hated us to be lazy speakers/communicators.

I lost count of the times I would ask him how to spell a word and he would pass me the dictionary , grrrr ,he told me Id wear his brain out, lol and he hated the phrase 'What'? dunno why , but now Im in the USA I cant get away from it lol

1. profile image0

Hahaha, that's funny. My wife drives me nuts. She just never could spell. A dictionary doesn't help because she can't spell the word anyway so she is always asking me how to and I get very frustrated. She is an avid reader but some people just can't remember how to spell certain words. Funny that.

That was my protest, how can I use a dictionary if I cant spell any of it , but my protests fell on deaf ears, sound it out and look , then look again lol. It did help ,but it also made me use a different word , even now if I cant spell a word like physcology always trips me up (all the phsyco ones ) I usually say something like head games or intellectually challenged lol

2. profile image0

I'm sweet with the whole differences in language..... it never bothers me in the slightest, UNLESS.... an American tells me that I have spelt something wrong by using the English way.... if you take away the old 'empire', most of the world learns to speak English in solely the American way.... simply because most of them buy American text books.

15. profile image0

Nothing written so beautiful as the King's English. I will now coin a portmanteau for Brenda, Dinglish, of dialects and English. Can you speak Dinglish?

16. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 14 years ago

generally, everyone will tell you that their language is the hardest to learn.  Take it from me, I live in french and the French love to state how difficult their language is and that it is harder to learn than most languages.  However, though it was in fact difficult for me to learn french, I imagine it would be simple for a Spanish speaker to learn it.  Seeing as the English language is Germanic, a Romantic tongue is harder for me.  But German on the other hand, is easier for me to pick up and much harder for french people to pick up.  It is all relative you see.

On the other hand, I do agree that English is difficult whenyou include the vastness of our vocabulary and expressions.  Initially, learning to communicate on a basic level may be fairly easy, but conversing at an advanced level, well, thats a different story.

Of course, all languages have vast lexicons, but english is so damned adaptable and far-reaching, that it has more words (supposedly) than most languages, thus the difficulty for non-english speakers to continually adapt and keep up with the changing language.

Still digesting all of that lol j/k smile

17. Eaglekiwi profile image75

English is Germanic?
    Oh I thought it was Latin based.

1. megs78 profile image61
      megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

English is categorized as Germanic, although it does derive many of its words from Latin.  Hmmm, couldn't tell you exactly why we are classified as Germanic, except to say that Latin based languages are generally the Romantic ones...french, italian, etc.  Strange stuff eh?

Ok thanks for that, yea its amazing how language has evolved, even within cultures.
        I wished Id learned more of my fathers native tongue ( New Zealand Maori) and still could since its a beautiful Polynesian sound ,but as a teenager I chose to learn French ,more out of rebellion. Pretty darn stupid since I learned very little in 12months with an attitude like that. Actually there was more to it than that, but hey I can say J'mapelle Danielle smile

2. profile image0

I have read about this so much..... and still dont understand it. It has something to do with the way that we actually speak the words. Take a look at the graph title 'Diachronic'.... and you can see just how many influences go into the development of a language http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_languages

'Anglo-Frisian' is what the English apparently speak..... and that is classed as a form 'West Germanic', whilst scandinavians speak 'North Germanic'.

Remember that the saxons, or 'Anglo-saxons', settled in England long before the latin influences brought over by the roman empire..... and they came over from, well..... the land we now know as Germany. The 'Normans' settled in the north..... and they were themselves descendants of Scandinavia, who had settled in parts of France..... the scandinavians speak what is known as 'North Germanic'.

I still dont really understand it, I would need to do a PHD on it rather than reading reliable old wikipedia, but in the days before Romans...... the English were made up mainly of Saxons and Normans. Where I was born, most people are mainly of Saxon descent..... in Northern England, most people are of Norman descent. And that is still apparent in the genes, they did a big study on it recently.....

18. profile image0

Well I know garage is not German based. What do you think it is? English is made up  many I think. Doesn't Sanskrit come in there somewhere also?

19. profile image0

any more new words anyone like the word juxtaposed it is my fave word

20. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

cognoscente: a person with special knowledge.

Hope its useful!

~thranax~

21. R P Chapman profile image61
    R P Chapmanposted 14 years ago

sesquipedalian is moderately amusing as it means given to or characterised by the use of long words. smile

22. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Words that really bother me:

Hub
    Tub

big_smile wordscribe, that was very funny, made me laugh loads big_smile

Thank-you to person who started the thread, brilliant thread just read it all the way through, laughed and rolled my eyes a lot!wink

Infact I enjoyed it so much I nearly forgot the really cool new word I learned today 'look's in dictionary for correct spelling ect' solipsism, docrine that self is the only thing to exist.

2. profile image0

You bad! LOL

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

solecism, breach of grammar or ettiquette! big_smile

What a gorgeous expressive face you have Word!! a natural beauty shining through hubland smile great pic an yes you are bad lol

1. profile image0

Thank you, Eagle!  I like the picture because there's a big honking piece of gum showing.  Check it out.  lol

Oh yeah lol well see a la natural ,best kinda pics wink

23. profile image0

She's gorgeous, almost as pretty as you Eagle

Thats quite a compliment almost lol

My windows installer is messed up and I cant upload pics from my digi, but maybe I gotta old pic of me somewhere in documents, hard to find one where Im not eating lol

1. profile image0

I am sure I saw your real photo before. Beautiful. Wouldn't kick you outa my bed. Hehe now where did I hear that one?

24. profile image0

I noticed the gum. endearing too. such kissable mouth

1. profile image0

AWWW, ralwus.  So sweet.  It was kissable that night, very minty fresh.  smile

25. profile image0

I just want to pinch yer cheek. hehe I bet it was too.

26. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Comma splices!!! I love it, Lita.  Can't she please give it a rest?

1. profile image0

smile

Thought 'she' (or whoever) was an alter ego.  Nobody could really be SO enraptured of grammar, could they?

1. profile image0

You wouldn't think so, Lita.  However, I've noticed her doing this in a number of other posts also.  More than just two.  I'd imagine I'd have better things to do with my time.  I'm perplexed she keeps coming back for seemingly the same purpose.  Perplexing, I must say.  I suppose she really does enjoy "perusing" the forums.  I mean, come on, WHO says that?  I might have used that in a grad school paper, but not in a normal conversation.  roll

1. profile image0

Sorry if you do not approve of my use of of the world "perusing" or some of the other I words I use.  Different vocabulary for different folks.

1. profile image0

Well, if I were to "give you some friendly" writing advice, it would be that the way you use these words stick out like sore thumbs.  You over-write.  It seems forced...not academic, even...forced and unnatural.

What, you didn't major in English or something in college and now are trying to compensate for it?  ?

27. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Ego vs Ego!

1. Misha profile image63

Pass me pop corn please lol

1. profile image0

Exiting.  Yawn, yawn, yawn.  Woosh, woosh, woosh...over the top as usual.

2. Colebabie profile image59
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Popcorn is the boy and I's codeword. Thats funny.

1. Misha profile image63

I'm scared to ask for what? yikes

1. Colebabie profile image59

Uh for sex Misha. See? Not scary.

1. Misha profile image63

In case of me and TK? pretty scary I tell you lol

1. Colebabie profile image59

And why is that?

1. Misha profile image63

cause I am scared of his dog tongue

3. tksensei profile image59
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LLLLlllllllet's get reeeeeeady to blaaaaaaaaaather!!!!!!!!!

28. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Yeah.  Good luck with those antelopes, wink.

29. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

And to answer your question Brenda, I like the word "Dalliance"

30. tksensei profile image59

Ego vs Ego vs Ego?

31. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

actually it is a case of i-am-sick-of-self-appointed-grammar-police.

Me too, IMHO writing is about so much more then spelling and grammar and I pop in to the forum because most of the time there are good threads and it's fun. Not because I want my post to be told how incorrect it is or that I or others are not really 'writers' because of the post's inacuracies.

32. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

p.s. "work alone" is an expression.

it means that, while i have fun in the forums, i am for the most part, a solitary hubber. mostly because i don't know anyone very well.

got that?

good!

i have told you that i wasn't interested in continuing any dialog with you and went on to post on other topics and yet here you are, slandering me and casting ignorant assumptions about me and my character, which i do not appreciate. if they decide to ban me over this, whatever. but i am not going to let you lie about me. "thousands of posts"? um, i have 608, can you even read?

ok, will anyone on this forum who feels that i am "working" them or this forum or schmoozing them for sinister purposes only HubTub knows about or who doubts my sincerity please raise their hand?

thank you.

good night. if i don't log on tomorrow that means i got banned.

meh.

33. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Em.  According to just quick research, she seems to be a real person living on the East Coast who just made a point--but did it kind of in a bad initial tone.  And if Misha actually saw her picture, he'd be flirting with her like there is no tomorrow, lol. wink

I say:  Let there be peace among the forum threads.  This one was just too silly.

1. profile image0

I agree with you, Lita.  Again, if it was my fault, I apologize for the last and final time.  I'm all for peace at this point.  smile

1. Misha profile image63

Wow! That's the line I was never hoping to see. I drop my case. smile

2. profile image0

i apologize as well.

onward... smile

i just wanna have fun Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun

1. profile image0

Another girl with class, smile.

2. Misha profile image63

And I actually saw her picture. You have something to adjust in your picture of myself. smile

1. profile image0

Doubt if you saw the one I'm talking about, wink.  And I realize you don't like ladies who you think "bite," but seems like then you just seem to follow and make fun of them.  I should know.  lol

34. tksensei profile image59

Stalker to the rescue!

35. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

aïe sink you allll arre a beet crezy, but I laïke you.
    sorry, Eengleesh is not my mozerr tong !

I post, ergo I exist ...

36. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Maybe tis Hub'T's promotional angle

Y'know those adverts on TV you love to hate, but they ring on in ya brain uninvited anyway ...

37. profile image0

ouh la la !
    you do have accounts to balance.

Let's play :
                  furtiveness
                  furor
                  deliquescence...

delphic.

"Knowledge & Education" was the forum topic.
    hehehe

38. profile image0

er right so new words, any more...... any one

some great ones already will put them all together at some stage,

39. profile image0

Hi Brenda.
    Nice fresh bouquet you got.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)