What Areas of History do you feel lacks attention?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (43 posts)
  1. RGraf profile image87
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

What areas of history do feel get missed when studied and discussed?

1. ledefensetech profile image67
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Reconstruction and it's aftermath in the US and early 20th century history.

2. sensu0s profile image64
      sensu0sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How come the human civilization already dwell at places before they were even discovered ?

2. neocobra5 profile image61
    neocobra5posted 14 years ago

Archeological finds that are connected to religions. When I was in school it was just ways to disprove hahaha.

1. RGraf profile image87
      RGrafposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Any particular religion or just in general?

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

scientific historical studies of religions

4. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

Social and economic history 1850-1950. How the West came to be a decent place for ordinary people to live (almost)

5. jaskar profile image68
    jaskarposted 14 years ago

The Burma campaign of the 2nd world war. the "forgotten 14th amry" and they U-GO offensive. all i seem to hear is D-day, Battle of Britain and El Alamein. yet tens of thousands of men were figthing in Burma against the Japanese. Completely missed.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice Hair!

6. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I'd like to know more about the Anazazi and the Mississippian periods in America and their ties to Mayan and Aztecs civilizations.

7. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

For Texas History...the Battle of San Jacinto always ends up as a footnote...when it was one of the most decisive battles ever fought in the history of battles...across the globe...for all time.

1. profile image0

Very True!

1. manlypoetryman profile image81
        manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks sneako...not to take anything away from the Alamo...It was an incredible act of courage and defiance...Then came the next phase in Texas History known as the Texian Army's path to San Jacinto!

1. profile image0

I sure would have liked to have seen Santa Anna in a dress!

1. manlypoetryman profile image81
            manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wonder what speed he hit...leaving the battlefield ? "The Napoleon of the West!" (in a dress!)

1. profile image0

That boy had no shame!

8. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

The so-called Dark Ages. It wasn't until my senior year in high school when I began studying Medieval music and literature that I realized that the conventional wisdom I'd been fed regarding that time period was quite inadequate and did not reflect everything that happened then.

9. Implicit Cogito profile image60
    Implicit Cogitoposted 14 years ago

I'm ashamed of this:  I never once thought about how history was socially constructed until I went to college.

In a sense, there is no "history."  You have to ask *whose* history.  Were the writers of history actually the winners of a military or ideological conflict?  If so, that makes a big difference.

1. William R. Wilson profile image59
      William R. Wilsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

10. William R. Wilson profile image59
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

I would say the history of labor struggles in the US.  Quite a few people died and went to prison so that we could have our 40 hour work week and sick leave. 

Also, I don't think people realize how radical the tactics of the Women's Suffrage movement were. 

I think the country would also benefit from learning the environmental history of North America - the mass kill off of Buffalo, the extinction the Chestnut tree, mass deforestation and logging, strip mining, etc.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very good list.

11. calpol25 profile image60
    calpol25posted 14 years ago

In my view the Holocaust lacks attention, because of the other victims of the nazis that rarely get mentioned like the gypsies, free masonry, homosexuals and disabled people as well as the jehovas witnesses and many others.

When people think of the holocaust all they think of is auschwitz and hitler and the final solution but they dont see just who else suffered under the jack boot.

12. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

Colonization needs to be analyzed more....it is so quickly glossed over...and its true effects are largely ignored...

13. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

In the UK, history in general doesn't get much attention.  It doesn't always get taught as a separate subject in schools anymore and a lot of kids have very little historical knowledge.

I think that this is a great shame, as how can you understand the world you live in today if you don't know anything about it's past and how countires developed into what they are now?

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree totally!  I don't know if you ever watch the quiz show Eggheads?  When you get teams of young challengers you always know that they're going to be completely stuffed if history ever comes up as a round.

Someone mentioned the Holocaust.  While I agree that the non-Jewish victims receive proportionately too little attention, I'm always puzzled that the Holocaust as a whole features far more prominently in discussions of historical atrocities than - say - Stalin's purges.

I think that economics/money has a lot more effect on historical events than people give it credit for.  Last night I saw a documentary about the British navy, and how funds were raised to pay for it at the tail end of the eighteenth century... by levying a new tax, for the first time ever in Britain: income tax.  And more generally, the fractional reserve system also has a profound effect on our economics and hence our culture.

14. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

History lacks attention all over.
    Don't forget that History is written by Man. and Man usually writes down what he thinks is the best. Not the truth.I see very little truth in History. I only pay attention to plain facts. The rest I disbelieve.

Examples
    the Nazis didn't kill only Jews, but you don't find records of other killings.
    the man on the moon . True, false ?
    History of Electricity.
    scientific discoveries
    the Templars,
    the Vikings
    the Egyptians
    and so on.

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is a tough one, but there is so much history to learn and so little time to learn it. At school, we were taught a lot of Viking and Roman history, because they were the biggest influence on the area. In Greece, they could teach nothing but Greek history at school and barely scratch the surface.

Still, if people love history they will search out their own subjects and explore new areas.

On a world scale, I believe that pre-colonial African history is woefully neglected - they were not just 'savages.' smile

1. drej2522 profile image69
        drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed...you can really just rattle off any pre-colonial society where the majority were considered 'savages'...For instance, the Americas and Africa

1. wyanjen profile image70
          wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is why I love you guys lol
          I came in here to say this exactly.
          We know that so many of the names of our cities & states are taken from Native American words, but we for the most part have no idea what those words mean.
          American schools teach about Geronimo and the Trail of Tears, but why not be teaching more of the pre-colonial history and culture?

2. calpol25 profile image60
      calpol25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

About the records of Nazis and  their other killings look at my pages on jehovas witnesses, homosexuals and mental and disabled  victims i got my facts but it took ages to find them plus they are only estimates as the total number exceeds all of the ones.

But they should teach all about the other victims of the nazis because not many know the persecution others went through like free masonry and the gypsies.

15. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

I think the bit where no weapons of mass destruction were found where we were told they would be found...perhaps we could look at that bit of history again......

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Imagine how many of thess 'facts' are hidden bellow mountains of lies !

16. theirishobserver. profile image61

hello Tantrum....yes indeed Iraq inquiry going on in England at the moment....Tony Blair says world a safer place without Saddam....tell that to the 100,000 people butchered in Iraq....including American and British Solidiers.....plenty of lies and spin......

Lately I see all this 'stuff' in a humourous way. As In the end we all will  get killed one way or another.
      I'm just curious as to where all this New World Order thing will lead.

lol

17. theirishobserver. profile image61

The new world order will look very like the old world order.....the people with nothing will continue to have nothing and the people with plenty will have a little more....

I think
      the people who have nothing will have even less, the people who have plenty, will have even more, and all the rest will die in the process
      lol

18. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

"Follow the money"  Where did the French get financing for their revolution, the Russians as well.

Who financed the Third Reich?

I think the history of where credit was acquired would answer a lot of our historical questions.

19. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

United Fruit, and the U.S. conquest of Central America...

20. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

mainstream history is the one much talked about

history nowadays is about those who ruled the world and their colonization and domains etc

what is lacking is local history in each and every nation so that they will have a sense of belongingness, I have noticed that colonization is much given emphasis instead of history before colonization

I am amused by ancient history less wriritngs because there is no written record only archeological facts

21. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

I think learning more about the United States before it became industrialised would be interesting, since they try so hard to sweep recent american history under the rug. If it doesn't involve a war, or someone running for office, or killed in office, it doesn't get included.

We learn a lot about our war presidents, like Lincoln and Roosevelt, and those invovled with the world wars. But, not a lot was said about our history during times when there were no wars. Where is the in between?

For example, we never really talk about what life was like for the average person during the years when America was segregated, other than what we hear about the supression of african americans. I think it would be interesting to learn what life was like for both sides before Martin Luther King.

Another thing that we seldom discuss, is what american life was like before they acted on child labor laws, and getting children out of the factories. Which is somthing we cry foul on today, even though we had it here for years, and hugely wealthy american corporations tried very hard to keep the kids working.

There is a lot of our culture that is pretty much grey. And, I think diving into that would be interesting. There is a lot more I would like to say, but I would probably get burned. As
    in, why is it so hard for our government to work together to
    solve problems in this country. They seem to have no problem
    thumping the grounds every where but here.

22. yenajeon profile image70
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

I feel like US schools need to teach more about world history. These students know about Thomas Jefferson's favorite color, quotes and where he lives but they have no idea that Omar is a country or the capital of Spain!

23. AnythingArtzy profile image67
    AnythingArtzyposted 14 years ago

I love ancient history. Had a course in high school and loved it.
    Egyptian
    Aztec
    Greek
    etc.

24. thebolesfamily profile image73
    thebolesfamilyposted 14 years ago

The entire period of American colonial history from just after the founding of Plymouth in 1620 until the beginning of the French and indian War in 1754.  This period is barely ever mentioned in high school and college American History classes, and that is a shame because in it we find the first clues of the causes of the American Revolution.  How many people graduate from high school knowing that the English and the French fought at least three major wars in Europe and the Americas before 1754, and that American resentment of English colonial policies dates from these conflicts?  Probably not many, because it's never discussed.  I also think that there needs to be more coverage of American history from 1963 to the present--American history does not end with the Kennedy assassination, and yet most survey courses tend to conclude right there or shortly after.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)