jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Should healthcare workers be forced to get the flu shot or should they have a ch

1. aDayInMyLife1 profile image90
    aDayInMyLife1posted 5 years ago

Should healthcare workers be forced to get the flu shot or should they have a choice?

2. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

they should have a choice. i know people who get the flu shot and they still get the flu. there are people who have died from a bad reaction to the shot(mainly seniors though) . no one should be forced to get a flu shot since in all honesty , we don't have a clue what the long term effects are going to be.

3. Mom Kat profile image81
    Mom Katposted 5 years ago

Everyone should have a choice, including healthcare workers.  It isn't right to force something on people like that. 
    My hubby is in the national guard and they made him get a flu shot just the other week.  His side and shoulder have hurt ever since.  Military doesn't get a choice, which is crazy.  They are fighting for freedom, yet so many of their freedoms are taken from them because the government "owns" them even after their term of service has expired.... go figure.

1. Miss Tillman profile image37
      Miss Tillmanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree, and once they get the flu, its not like they can call out.

4. fitmom profile image84
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

I understand why healthcare workers need to be current on their vaccines, but the flu shot does not belong in this category. Getting the flu shot does not mean that you will not get the flu. I think it is terrible for anyone to be forced to get the flu shot.

5. aDayInMyLife1 profile image90
    aDayInMyLife1posted 5 years ago

Question is... How do I handle the situation? This is the first year that my Hospital is stating that the flu shot is mandatory and refusal can result in termination.

1. visionandfocus profile image71
      visionandfocusposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You could talk to your colleagues. Chances are most of them are not happy with the situation either. If you belong to a union, appeal to them. If not, draft a letter and have everyone sign it, detailing your reasons why you don't want the flu shot.

6. Miss Tillman profile image37
    Miss Tillmanposted 5 years ago

A choice!! everybody in America that isn't in jail or a crazy home, should be entitled a choice when it comes to their health and well being.  I have not had my flu shot in over a decade and my kids do not get one either. To me vitamins and eating right with antioxidant rich foods help prevent my family from getting anything besides a minor cold 2 x a year if that. The flu shot gives you a mild flu, to make your body more immune if a stronger strand comes around. I don't believe in a miracle shot.

7. beadreamer247 profile image70
    beadreamer247posted 5 years ago

Well, generally you should have a choice. On the other hand if you are working in a health care environment, you might have signed some paperwork and it might include some regulations that you agree upon, when it comes to such topics as health care and prevention for yourself and that the company requires certain measurements to be taken etc....If that is the case and you signed and agreed, you might have to take the flu shot.

1. aDayInMyLife1 profile image90
      aDayInMyLife1posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Nope I started working there 5 years ago and this is the first year they are attempting to make it mandatory. I never had to sign anything.

8. Pauline Davenport profile image61
    Pauline Davenportposted 5 years ago

Noooo!!!! has to be your own choice - has to be, something like that. Anyway, as a health care worker, especially on a medical ward, you develop an  incredible immune system. I remember years ago, all of us staff were tested for glandular fever as one of the patients had it. Turns out I had it but didn't know until I was tested and it hardly affected me at all. We never developed colds or flu or anything - tough as nails we were. I think it's one of those situations where nature should be left to take its course - just my opinion of course.