jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are the reasons why the American character has metamorphed from an independ

1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

What are the reasons why the American character has metamorphed from an independent, responsible,

and accountable one to dependent, irresponsible, and entitled one?

2. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 4 years ago

I think some of the bad aspects of today's America has a lot to do with our lives having become a lot more easy than in the good old days whose passing no one laments. Our dads and mothers worked hard from dawn to dark, sometimes seven days a week. We don't have to do this. We have medication that will cure many ills that we bring onto ourselves, so we can act recklessly with our health. If we act foolishly with our finances, we have easy means to recover and start over.

However, I do disagree that the American character (which logically would include all of us, not excluding you and me) has deteriorated all that much. Like beauty, perhaps character lies in the eyes of the beholder.

3. Lee Tea profile image92
    Lee Teaposted 4 years ago

It may have something to do with our idea of success.  Throughout our young history success was marked by having adequate or abundant means for survival.  Now it's more equated with money, an idea promoted through the current state of our entertainment-based media.  Having abundant money to buy all your survival essentials is achievable, and having enough to pay someone to handle it for you is a step up from that on the bank-roll ladder of success. 

It's almost as if having to be independent, responsible, and accountable for your own goods is a poor man's way of going about life, a mark of weakness, a lack of money and therefore success.  If you can't buy your way into and out of your impulses, you're not rich enough.  Of course you know my take on capability and character-building, but in general being a whiny, careless, irresponsible rich brat with a sense of entitlement is one thing we've been repeatedly exposed to, and even something the younger generation can't wait to tune into every week.  Heh, "programming"...

4. profile image55
    tbHistorianposted 4 years ago

It has metamorphed due to:
    1. too much government
    2. too little self-respect
    3. too much tolerance to evil
    4. too much welfare slavery
    5. too little acceptance of self-responsibility
    6. too much pandering by welfare-slave-politicians
    7. too much pursuit of a One-World boundary
    8. too many neo-liberal policies
    9. too much drug use by politicians
    10. lack of family breeding

5. junko profile image77
    junkoposted 4 years ago

Modern Technolgy has replaced millions of human manual jobs. Unregulated Capitalisms has shipped million of jobs off shore. There is far less jobs today than job seekers. If millions of American people can't provide for themselves, should they starve, be killed, imprisoned, or deported?