jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)

The calamities of 2012

1. BakerRambles profile image83
    BakerRamblesposted 5 years ago via iphone

In December of 2012, what do you think will truly happen to the earth as we know it?  Let's deeply debate this for a moment, because in all honesty, no one truly knows.  Could it be a meteor, an enlightenment, tsunamis, earthquakes, a second coming?  What is the true meaning behind those Mayan prophecies?  What do you think?

1. Quilligrapher profile image90
      Quilligrapherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You are looking for deep debate about nothing. That is probably just what you will get.

BakerRamblesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well I'm not necessarily looking for a debate on nothing, mores on individual knowledge of ancient history that is continually being dug up and presented at scientific community seminars.  Also, religious debate is welcome, I don't feel as though people should be shot down for believing in nothing or something on that day or period.

2. A Troubled Man profile image62
      A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

We will probably see mass hysteria from those who believe in calamities based on ancient prophecies.

It is true, there has been recent selling of homes and the such from people expecting to have to resettle elsewhere from fear of planetary upheaval.  No one truly knows whateill happen, therefore it is logical to fear the unknown, it's simply human nature.

1. A Troubled Man profile image62
          A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I know plenty of humans that just laugh at such things, which is far more logical than being afraid.

Very true indeed, some will laugh, some will run, some will stand up and fight.  Whatever happens, whether catastrophic, political, or simply nothing...I guess the fact the we all entertain the idea by responding means there is that simple emotion of understanding or reacting to it.

2. rbe0 profile image59
            rbe0posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Laughing is never logical unless what you are laughing at is funny.

3. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm thinking that my hubs dedicated to 2012 (Is it real, How to survive etc.) will get lotsa traffic and make me a few dollars just in time for Chrismtas!

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ever the optimist, Simey.  Good thought.  I like it.

I love the optimism as well

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Isn't there already enough paranoia in the world. I mean seriously. There's no deep debate about it.

3. ThoughtSandwiches profile image85
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 5 years ago

I would have to agree with Cagsil on this one.  As you point out in your forum posting, "no one truly knows"  ...as such...I'm not entirely sure what we would be debating other then...IF it would happen...not HOW.  The notion of the IF debate, however, is such...that we won't find out until a year from now?  The thought of a year long forum thread is debilitating.

4. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 5 years ago

I think it just signals the end of a 26,000 year cycle that moves the heavens from Pisces alignment to Aquarius, but don't beleive much will change. Maybe a few tides will ebb and flow differetly and change a few shorelines over the next cycle but nothing major like WHAMMO on a single day or all of a sudden. Some say a polar shift which will cause massive earthquakes but if so I think it would be a minimal shift and minor plate shifting. Minor on a planet scale. I think the Mayans would just let the gear start a new revolution from the first prong again.

I like that you placed the cycles in there.  A friend of mine has a masters in time keeping and Mayan/Aztec history.  That was what he had stated as well.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I did read somewhere that the axis shift will be extremely small but will still cause some significant movement of water and ground.  What comes from that I guess will depend on where the shake up occurs.

Allegedly, this is the same time frame in which the French will test their theory concerning the Big Bang.

I doesn't hurt to have extra water, canned food, and a first aid kit on hand.

5. ajithknn profile image71
    ajithknnposted 5 years ago

Every year the earth crust is becoming unstable.We can see the climatic change in the world.It could happen any time ,we cannot say that much.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The earth's crust is no more or less stable than it has been for millenia.

6. manlypoetryman profile image68
    manlypoetrymanposted 5 years ago

I'm already getting prepared for it well in advance...

http://www.softwarereality.com/geekfiction/images/CrazyMan2.jpg

to "Panic"!

1. rbe0 profile image59
      rbe0posted 5 years ago in reply to this

oh, i thought you were constipated.

7. rbe0 profile image59
    rbe0posted 5 years ago

Baker Rambles. If you would like a better theory about what is going to happen on 12/21/12, go ahead and watch this video about Time Wave Zeroing Out.

A summary of the video is that time will be reaching its limit. Limit is a mathematical term used in introductory calculus. I have studied calculus, multivariable calculus and differential equations.

What he discusses here is interesting, but he does not explain how he developed his equation, he also does not provide his mathematical equation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoo44E2UYvA

8. BfoBarney profile image61
    BfoBarneyposted 5 years ago

A deep debate this could be indeed. However you are unlikely to find an opinion on the side that actually believes in such events, so really it won't be much of a debate.

But, it is sure to make for some good television. All those believers scurrying away to their bomb shelters...

working