What do you think about 2012?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (27 posts)
  1. awoodog profile image60
    awoodogposted 13 years ago

What do you think about 2012?

Do you think the world will cease to exist? I don't but I would like to hear what you have to say.

2. rafken profile image77
    rafkenposted 13 years ago

The World will still exist, the question is, will anything happen to us? Even if a new ice age started, it wouldn't happen overnight, so most of us could prepare and survive.

3. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

It's a nice year.  I'm partial to 2013 personally.

4. Powerful Pierre profile image62
    Powerful Pierreposted 13 years ago

I for one don't believe for a split second think that 2012 will be any different than 2011 or 2013. As a Christian there are still many events that need to occur before the end can come. It would be a good year for a Rapture though Amen!!

5. profile image57
    foreignpressposted 13 years ago

The year 2012 is going to be very exciting. You might need a scorecard to keep up. The Presidential race is up for grabs. At this point anybody could win it. Hillary Clinton says she isn't running but don't believe that for a minute. Obama has impressed very few so far. And don't forget the global devastation on tap for later that year. The earth's poles are supposed to reverse and that will wreak horrible havoc. Also, a solar flare is predicted for 2012. These are common enough, but this solar flare will knock out the communications satellites, land-based power grids, and most forms of transportation. I've already bought an easy chair and snacks. Let the show begin!

6. giwrgos12 profile image58
    giwrgos12posted 13 years ago

The Mayan Long Count calendar rolls from Baktun 12 to Baktun 13 on that day, but it’s not an ending.  It goes up to Baktun 19 and then Pictun 1 begins (A Pictun is 20 Baktuns; a Baktun is about 400 years).
    For some reason people think the Long Count calendar is very mystical. It’s not. It’s very simple. It’s like an odometer, only in most spots it counts to 20 instead of 10.  It was not a religious calendar.
    The calendar doesn’t predict anything; it just counts days since the beginning of the world (according to the Mayans, on September 7, 3114 BCE).  Not sure who the "they" is who "say the world will end" that you reference in your question.  Modern Mayans don’t use the Long Count anymore; they only use the 260-day sacred calendar--that was/is the religious calendar.
    The general belief of the Aztecs and Mayans was that the current world would end during a 5 day period in their other civil calendar (the 365-day one).  Right now this five day period falls every year at the beginning of April (moves 1 day each leap year)--not anywhere near December 21.  The Aztecs in specific believed that the last day would be 4 Earthquake (which comes around every 260 days in the sacred calendar)--12-21-2012 is 4 Flower.

7. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 13 years ago

More than anything else, I am really excited about the fortunate event of a solar flare knocking out all communication channels which means no cell phones, no TV, no Internet. Oh! It will really be blissful!

I will retire to my terrace with my favorite book in hand, relax in an easy chair and idly watch the sky! Sure to bring back childhood memories when life was so simple yet wholesome with none of the present day communication nonsense to disturb tranquility!

8. The Loan Arranger profile image61
    The Loan Arrangerposted 13 years ago

I am going to dust off the armchair I used whilst presiding over both the Gulf War and the sequel, Gulf War II and settle down for a good session being armchair general for the local derby in Korea which should be reaching a dramatic finale around about then.

Whoops Apocalypse!

9. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

Well, if the world ends, then that proves the existance of more to life - so why worry?

If the world doesnt, well, we just carry on as we have done - so why worry?

10. lindajot profile image66
    lindajotposted 13 years ago

There have been many dates in the past that have been speculated to be a big event, or "the" event, and they have come and gone.  I'm having too much fun here and now, and tomorrow will be another adventure.

11. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 13 years ago

The world as we know it, will cease to exist.........I can  even see this in my own lifetime.........from pen and paper to computer.....debit cards, pin numbers......there are many things I use today, that I never heard of as a child.   My kids can't imagine a TV with only 3 stations, AND you had to walk across the room to change the channel!  If they have even seen a rotary phone, it would have been in a museum.

Will all human life cease in December 2012?   I think not.  2012 will come and go, and we will celebrate 2013.

One day, the world will end........but that date is not known to us.

12. point2make profile image60
    point2makeposted 13 years ago

Here's a thought.......Since there was no year "0" and there is some validity to an historical argument  pinpointing  Christ's birth as having occurred between 4BC and 2BC an interesting possibility emerges. Depending on the actual year of Christ's birth our calendar could be in error by at least a couple of years. We could already be in the year 2012, instead of 2010, which means the anticipated date of December 2012 that everyone is curious about could actually arrive next week instead of two years from now!!!!...I'm just saying......

13. Mark Upshaw profile image60
    Mark Upshawposted 13 years ago

Regardless of the year things are happening all over the world.  Our world will not cease to exist.  However, our world will be changed dramatically.  It is inevitable.  Whether it be scientific progress that results in cultural changes or new catastrophe's that transform our geography - great changes are coming.  The inevitable is upon us.

14. MoneyCreator24 profile image58
    MoneyCreator24posted 13 years ago

The question is: which world will cease?
    Sure - something will happen, something will change. But life wont stop. As life is change and change is life.

15. qwark profile image62
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

...It's pure BS!
    All who understand human ignorance have already come to that conclusion.

16. profile image57
    lifegirlhelpposted 13 years ago

awoodog, in the bible god says  he is coming for us one day and signs will be given but don t get the mark of the beast xxx or else you have betrayed me Revelation dont believe that junk nothing will happen except if god come bye hope that answered your questions

17. profile image49
    028863posted 13 years ago

guys the world will not end in 2012 if you see the news about the world ending in 2012 dont listen to them they just liers they are trying to scare people only god knows when it will happen but is not in 2012 the way to make life to continue is to keep getting great grades,passing to college,getting a job and my favorite game is coming out in 2013 or in 2012

18. dragonlady1967 profile image69
    dragonlady1967posted 13 years ago

I think life will go on as we know it just like it did with the year 2000.  We will still have to go to work, pay our bills and taxes, and so on...  It's a boring thought, but probably the most realistic one.

19. alex.chen profile image61
    alex.chenposted 13 years ago

i wrote a hub on this...
    i think that the world will not end, except i have a new theory. worldwide massive panic will cause destruction, but not enough to end the human race. we will see xmas that year

20. bruzzbuzz profile image59
    bruzzbuzzposted 13 years ago

It seems odd that our economy is reeling and that experts say that the year 2012 maybe the worst of it.  It would be easy to put that with all the stuff people claim will happen with 2012 but then again, it was probably easy to say the same thing when Hitler roamed the earth and I also remember people saying that the world was at an end when the 7 Day War began in Israel years ago.  I doubt that we will cease to live in 2012 but I do think life will change as a result of our world events regarding the economy and wars.

21. Airikah profile image60
    Airikahposted 13 years ago

well, I am a firm beliver in LIVE and LOVE like no tomorrow, BUT work hard as if YOU have a future.

22. princess7993 profile image61
    princess7993posted 13 years ago

apocalypse means the end of the world,but logically an end depicts yet another beginning right? i dont think anything noticeable would happen specifically in 2012, but the world IS changing isnt it? 10 years ago, people would have laughed at the mere idea of the likes of barack obama being the president of the US of A........... so.......who knows??? maybe ithiopia would turn into a world super power????

23. TwoDee profile image69
    TwoDeeposted 13 years ago

The mayan calender theory can also be interpreted as the end of an age and the beginning of a new age, the same way the stone age ended eventually. It could just be a transition of a world age, maybe for the better or maybe worse.

24. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image36
    DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 13 years ago

i saw an answer to that just cracked me up-she said in reference to the movie 2012 she was going to watch that movie in january 2013 and laugh.....Dr. Mike

25. davidb95 profile image60
    davidb95posted 13 years ago

I think for a few, the idea of the end of times is very profound, but for most of us, it is a curiosity and something to have a conversation about.  Besides if the world as we know it abruptly comes to an end, how many of us have the skills to actually survive?

26. deutsched profile image59
    deutschedposted 13 years ago

No different than 2011...
    The whole end of the world propaganda just makes me laugh

27. marksmommy profile image58
    marksmommyposted 13 years ago

i think its all thrown out of proportion.only god knows when the world will end and when that is we will never know.its stated in the bible that he will come like a thief in the night.just be saved and live for him and you will have nothing to worry about.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)