Tell the truth -- Do you watch The Kardashians?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (27 posts)
  1. grand old lady profile image84
    grand old ladyposted 11 years ago

People either love them or hate them. But it is a fact -- they are an enormously famous and successful brand. Do you secretly watch The Kardashians? If yes, why? If not, why not?

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I read and stuff, so there is nothing I can relate to except the first famous one's boobs, which I can see with no time sacrificed every time I'm in line at the grocery store. Which is great, because there is no reason to subject myself to the vacancy that makes up whatever it is that she does to get herself on those magazine covers—everything she has to offer is right there on the rack for free. (Not that I'd pay for it, obviously, because if her cleavage weren't up there for free, someone else would have replaced her already. There is never a shortage of chicks willing to make a spectacle of themselves for a chance to be the most famous bimbo in the world.)

2. anuws profile image61
      anuwsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I used to watch as I was curious to know what is their life style. But later I was bored and stopped watching! So much drama!

2. know one profile image61
    know oneposted 11 years ago

Once. I just couldn't get anything out of it for the cost of my valuable time. And I'm not averse to a bit of reality TV.  I think the self-promotion within the structure of the show was just too obvious/too scripted/too set-up.  And the result was just a big wad of nothing.

3. kittyjj profile image68
    kittyjjposted 11 years ago

I try to stay away from all those celebrities gossips.  But sometime it's hard to avoid seeing the images and headlines about her at places like grocery stores as Shadesbreath mentioned and online news.

4. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I've never heard of The Kardashians.

5. grand old lady profile image84
    grand old ladyposted 11 years ago

Ok, I have to tell the truth. At the risk of sounding shallow, I have to confess (burp) that I watch The Kardashians. I also watch Khloie and Lamar, and their New York show. And, since I'm being totally confessional, I also watch The World According to Paris, Rachel Zoe, The Survivors, and some other reality shows. I am a TV reality show junkie.

If it will help to shore up my reputation, let me say my daughter introduced me to The Kardashians. I appreciated watching this unconventional family, and the girls are really so beautiful. When I watch TV, I want my brain to relax so I shy away from the more intelligent shows (although I was crazy about House). Sometimes, nothing works better than flotsam and jetsam for me. Which is one heck of a way to describe these very rich people who by comparison would better consider me flotsam and jetsam in light of my "financial empire."

BTW, it took courage to say this...

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I have no idea why they're famous.  I've never watched their show, I didn't even know they had one until recently.

7. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

I catch it from time to time,especially if I have nothing else to do.LOL
    I find it to be very scripted and not very real.wink

8. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

I'm not really interested in the K's at all and find their show boring and tedious. However, while we're admitting to our guilty pleasures, I will admit to being hooked on Dance Moms. It is trash TV at its worst, but I find myself tuning in week after week to marvel at the incredible behavior of the people on that show.

grand old ladyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

'We don't have "Dance Moms in the Philippines:( . I am beginning to feel, uh, deprived...

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
        SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry. It's for the better, LOL. You are not wasting that hour every week like I am. I think it's destroying my brain cells, too.

9. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

I watch it sometimes when there is no football game and I am done with the news. I don't analyze it, I just watch it and wonder which parts are staged. It is better than news at times - specially political news which gets uglier everyday b4 election. Yes I am escapist, LOL! smile (I tend to not bother with problems that are real, that is bec. I tend to analyze anything sociologically and sometimes it bothers me).

10. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I must confess I don't know which one is which, which one is divorcing her black football player husband, which one is yearning to get pregnant, or which is the one with the ginormous booty.
    That's the sum total of what I know about the Kardashians. It's a compilation of what I (like Shadesbreath) have gleaned from supermarket checkout and my bimonthly visits to the hairdresser (the only place I "read' People).

Oh wait, there's one more thing. How in the heck did Bruce Jenner get himself dragged down into this mud?

Yes, they are quite a brand.
    It's pretty sad that in today's culture anyone can become this famous for doing absolutely nothing.
    Waiting for the backlash that sends the K sisters, any/all "Real Housewives" and Jersey Shore denizens back to obscurity where they belong.

11. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I don't watch the show, and don't really watch much television at all - and yet I know who the Kardashians are, so they've done a really good job of getting their name and faces out there.   I don't hate them, by any means.  To me, they're just kind of like, say, my neighbor's car - out there , and showing up every so often.  Good luck to them, though. With what they've managed to do in spite of no overt signs of any particular talent, they're apparently smarter people than I'll ever be.   smile

Oh... and as of a couple of days ago, I now also know who Honey Boo Boo is - another case of peculiar fame.    hmm

We don't have Honey Boo Boo here, but I would like to watch it. I saw her on the Anderson show and felt kinda sad for her. But maybe if the family is just like that, it would be understandable.

I know these "reality shows" are scripted. I dunno why I watch them anyway. But if it is any indication of a process of cure, today I thought the episode of The World According to Paris was rather lame.

12. lindalou1963 profile image59
    lindalou1963posted 11 years ago

I know who they are, but have never watched the show. I work in retail and their faces are all over because they have their own line of clothing. I know Bruce Jenner (antique tennis player) is (was?) married to their mother.
    Honestly, I can't stand the way famous people exploit themselves. Being an actress, actor or even a singer is one thing... it takes talent. I have yet to see where any of the Ks have any talent other than showing off. Kind of like Pam Anderson and Jessica Simpson.
    Just my opinion of course!

I used to watch Jessica's show when she was married to Nick Lachey. It was rather clear from the start that they weren't gonna make it, but they did marry with intentions of wanting to make it last.

13. pstraubie48 profile image80
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

No. I did for a while just to see what it was all about...that was last year. And then I found it was pretty much the same old same old each time. It wasn't funny, it was thought provoking, it wasn't uplifting, it wasn't anything much but a bad soap opera.
    Now that does not mean that i disrespect them as that is not true. I just do not think that video taping what they show is worth my time.
    That is what is interesting about humanity...we all have a different take on things..what a boring world it would be if we all liked the same things.

14. rustyangel profile image76
    rustyangelposted 11 years ago

No. I think Kimi Kardashian is gorgeous and from the little bit of I've seen of her, she seems to be a nice person. But, just like with Jersey Shore, I have zero interest in her actual life or in watching her show.

15. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

I don't watch reality shows because there is nothing "real" about a camera crew following you around as you go about your so-called life.  But, it makes for good television, and people are hooked to certain shows.  Bruce Jenner is a past Olympic champion, and won a gold medal in track and field (triathlete) --not an "antique tennis player."  Some people must have money and fame.  In the case of the Kardashians, they are merely taking over where Paris Hilton left off.  It goes to show you what constant media promotion will do.  If all of them disappeared off the face of the Earth, would we miss them?  Probably not!

16. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Never.

1. vmartinezwilson profile image78
      vmartinezwilsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

indeed.

17. profile image52
    gautams1posted 11 years ago

Absolutely.

18. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

No. Who are they?

1. ritsukakunx profile image62
      ritsukakunxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nobody overly relevant!

19. ritsukakunx profile image62
    ritsukakunxposted 11 years ago

I don't even have cable xD (weird, since I write about celebrity plastic surgery alot here...) and I don't watch reality shows. O__O However, my mom watches this stuff religiously! I never have seen the Kardashians, so I suppose I cannot outright diss it, even if I do want to. :p My brother-in-law watches, but I'm pretty sure it is only because he has the mentality of a 14 year old and thinks Kim is sexy... I can understand that; she is attractive, but I don't think I'd want to watch it for that reason. hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)