jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

What 'one liner' did you Adopt from a movie, show or play - That is a personal m

1. LillyGrillzit profile image79
    LillyGrillzitposted 7 years ago

What 'one liner' did you Adopt from a movie, show or play - That is a personal mantra?

Forinstance, I love the Blues Brothers and Blues Brothers 2000. The saying, "on a mission from God", has become a saying I adopted. I am more 'Blues brother" than Saint, but it really means a lot, and comes up almost everyday...

2. Jillian Barclay profile image80
    Jillian Barclayposted 7 years ago

From "Everyone Loves Raymond", Ray saying to his brother, "You are an idiot wrapped in a moron!" Love it!

3. KewlWriter profile image74
    KewlWriterposted 7 years ago

I love the movie called Gattaca, where Vincent says "I never saved anything for the swim back". When you do something, you should do it a 100%.

4. Sweetsusieg profile image84
    Sweetsusiegposted 7 years ago

The general consensus from my kids....  "You know I love you more'n my luggage"...  I have a few that I use and this one came up first!

Olympia Dukakis -  Steel Magnolias

5. SteveoMc profile image75
    SteveoMcposted 7 years ago

I'm almost too embarrassed to say, but since you asked, it is from the cult movie Pulp Fiction.   It is from an awful scene in a gun shop where Bruce Willis asks Samuel if he is okay and he replies, "I'm pretty f'ing far from ok."

For some reason, I love that line and say it whenever I can.   LOL

6. ryancarter profile image60
    ryancarterposted 7 years ago

It's not from a movie, but from Between The Ferns with Zach Galifiniakis, "You ever farted on a cocker spaniel?"

I use it whenever I think someone is tooting their own horn a little too much.  Like the other day, this guy at work was talking about all his kudos he got in college, and I said "Man, you must've been something back then, you ever farted on a cocker spaniel?"

7. profile image50
    Jill Herschmanposted 7 years ago

From A League of Their Own: "There's no crying in baseball!"  Granted, "baseball" gets changed to whatever's being done at the moment, but the sentiment's there.

8. cascoly profile image60
    cascolyposted 7 years ago

"Life will find a way" whenever finding yet another example of evolution's beautiful solutions to environmental problems

9. Powerful Pierre profile image80
    Powerful Pierreposted 7 years ago

Frankly my Dear, I don't give a damn.... from Gone with The Wind is mine, I use it a lot but only on friends and NOT on my wife.

10. Fullerman5000 profile image62
    Fullerman5000posted 7 years ago

"He's at home, washing his tights" Joker from the Tim Burton Batman film. I always use this when people ask where someone is. To me it never gets old and my friends always laugh. I use "thats what she said" also from The Office.

11. Rob McKelvie profile image73
    Rob McKelvieposted 7 years ago

From Taxi Driver, Robert DeNiro practicing in front of a mirror:
    "Are you talking to ME?"
    "Are YOU talking to me?"

I use this sometimes when someone says something that's a bit rude. Not too many people get the film reference, but I have fun with it.

In second place is "I'll be back" from The Terminator. Arnold has had quite a few great lines in movies.

12. HannahRiley profile image58
    HannahRileyposted 7 years ago

Well...I love movies...so here are a few:)
    "I guess sometimes, there just aren't enough rocks."
    ---Forrest Gump

"L.I.V.I.N"....&...."I love them high school girls man, I keep getting older and they stay the same age."
    --Dazed and confused.

"VEDY NIIICCEE"
    --Borat

"Totes McGotes."
    --I love you man

"We're going streakingggg!!!! Everybody bring your green hat!!!"
    --Old School.

These are NOT mottos, or mantras. haha. I guess I just say these when they are appropriate. And now that I think about it, when are they EVER appropriate? hmm

13. LillyGrillzit profile image79
    LillyGrillzitposted 7 years ago

I love the Answers so far... another couple I have adopted...
    Faw-git-ah-bout-it! and "Are you talking to me?" Donnie Brasco

14. MystMoonstruck profile image82
    MystMoonstruckposted 6 years ago

"After all, tomorrow is another day." ~ Scarlett in "Gone with the Wind" // I am such a procrastinator, exactly like my father. We often quoted this one. It's not a film quote, but my dad used to tell my other-natured mother, "Rome wasn't built in a day, but that's because you weren't in charge!" I guess opposites do attract though my mom goes a bit crazy over me continuing to put off doing things.

Before I became disabled, I worked at a horrendously tough job (physically, emotionally, psychologically, the latter due to a boss from Hell). I would go home at lunchtime to check mail and just get away from it for about a half-hour. As I was going back, she would say, "Don't let them torture you, Gertie." to which I'd sometimes respond (depending on how bad a day it was), "I won't, Mary." This exchange takes place between Gertie and her mother in 'E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial". Also, whenever someone on TV says the word "alligator", I swear that, simultaneously in Drew Barrymore's Gertie-lisp, we say solemnly, "Alligators in the sewers." AND, when one of the cats (yes, we are crazy cat ladies!) forcefully decides s/he wants whatever we're eating, we'll say, "Don't get pushy, pushy." Gertie says that to the dog when he shoves past her into the bedroom.

My mother and I were dedicated fans of Shaun Cassidy's brilliant TV series "American Gothic". Whenever there's a knock at the door, one or the other or sometimes both will say, "Someone's at the door", imitating Merlyn's creepily lyrical delivery.

We once saw a pilot for a failed TV series titled "Claws"; in fact, I taped it. In it, we hear what the cats are thinking, and it has so many funny lines. After I showed it to my best friend and my sister, all of us would quote from it: "What are keys?!"   "Hey, I MEANT to get out of that car!"   "Nobody paid YOUR parents to get together."    "My little noopynoos!"   "We marked it! It's ours!"  "I prefer to be called Harrison." // What a shame this pilot didn't get picked up! Cat lovers would have adored it!

Our family quotes films and television a lot! My mom isn't a big film fan, but she still remembers a lot of lines.

working