jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Why do many Americans obsessively worship celebrities? It seems that celebrities

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

Why do many Americans obsessively worship celebrities? It seems that celebrities nowadays are

considered to above and beyond the rest of humanity.   People seem to hang on to every word a celebrity says and every action that he/she does.   If a celebrities expesses an opinion,people act as if that opinion is the gospel truth!

2. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 5 years ago

All the other continents beside the two American continents, seem to be effected by the cult of the celebrity.  We are expected to cling on to their very  words as if what they have to think and say about any event is more important than yours, mine, or old uncle Tom Cobbley's.  Why, I don't know.  I suspect it is something to do with the paras...., sorry, agents, pushing for publicity.  The various news media do a good job of thrusting all the publicity down our throats.

3. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I've never met someone who absolutely adored EVERY word a celebrity said. If I did, they would get hit in the head a couple of times. Celebrities are just regular people who made it big on their looks and acting skills. Anyone who follows their words like a dog for a bone should get their head examined.

4. Bretsuki profile image78
    Bretsukiposted 5 years ago

I would dispute that Americans alone adore celebrities, it is a phenomena which affects most humans to some extent.

I would guess that it is in part we see celebrity as a measure of success. By becoming a celebrity they have found a key to success and so if we listen to them then maybe we too will have that key to make ourselves successful.

Of course the idea of success being something we can all achieve is a fallacy. Some people who become celebrities have natural ability, some work very hard for many years to achieve a goal, not neccessarily celebrity status maybe a top sportsperson or actor. Others merely latch on to others celebrity status in order to gain celebrity status or notoriety themselves.
    Even in ancient cultures people adored people whom they saw as fulfilling ideals of success. In Ancient Rome a gladiator might achieve celebrity status by bravery and victories in the games. Warriors became heroes another variation of celebrity all we need to do is read ancient texts and compare how heroes had all the answers much as celebrities do today, according to the tabloid press and fan blogs.

1. George Greene Jr. profile image62
      George Greene Jr.posted 5 years agoin reply to this

my god! Tom cruise says Scientology is the best thing there is! should we join this sinister cult because one of the greatest actors says so? let's get real people! Celebrities are nothing more than what the stupid media puts them to be.I
      I respect t

5. samnashy profile image80
    samnashyposted 5 years ago

It's just the same in the UK and Australia. I stopped buying magazines,nor even picking them up to glance in the supermarket.  People must think celebrities live more fulfilling , fun lives.  The are jst people who have the same ups and downs as everyone else.  It's more sad when the celebrities actually believe themselves to be very important.

6. Mazzy Bolero profile image80
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

Fame is held out as something desirable in itself. It's sad that kids nowadays, when asked what they want to be when they grow up, will often say they want to be famous.  They do not have anything they wish to achieve in order to gain fame, just the fame itself.  Fame itself is nothing, it's emptiness, as shown by so many "celebrities" who are just airheads with a brass neck.  Focusing on fame is like worshipping the silver wrapping paper and throwing away the gift.  It's good when we have events such as the Olympics, which show people gaining fame by actually deserving it.

Unfortunately, such events don't last and the media go back to filling their space with pointless photos of pointless pretty people. They have to fill their space with something.  People assume the amount of the attention these people receive indicates higher value.

7. profile image54
    gautams1posted 5 years ago

We do follow everything that celebrities do today. This is the reason whyTMZ and the E channel exist.  All the new television shows that come out are reality television shows that feature a person that was once famous twenty years ago. Great question.

8. MamaTschet profile image75
    MamaTschetposted 5 years ago

I agree!  But not only actors/actresses and other entertainers... the celebrity phenomenon has expanded to politicians, reality "stars" and people just  in the news.  There is an attraction to their fame, whether by fortune or misfortune.  People grasp at attention.  Almost like they seek out someone to tell them what to do, if that makes sense.