What is the best war film of all time?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

What is the best war film of all time?

I'm not a huge fan of films, but I sometimes watch older films - not too old, just aged a few years.

As for myself, I'm a fan of fantasy, really, but films based at least in part on true history are fun to watch too - but always study the REAL history behind them, lest you become a bit deluded as to the facts.

Anyway, what is your favorite history based film concerning war?  War is a nasty subject, but the heroes often had a lot of things to say that ought to be heard again.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7398816_f260.jpg

2. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

I am not a fan of WAR movies, that's for sure.  However, I must admit to having watched a few in my day.  One that I actually thought was fabulous and I have never forgotten, is "Full Metal Jacket."   1987, Stanley Kubrick movie, based on the 1979 novel, "The Short Timers," by Custov Hasford.
    Viet Nam war era.........excellent.  If you haven't seen it, make it a point.

Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I need to download that one!

I should also download/watch "Apocalypse Now," as I've never seen the whole thing.

I'm a bit weak in the stomach  (no really!) with these types of film sometimes....but I ought to get over it in some cases.

3. Goody5 profile image59
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

Without a doubt it's "Kelly's Heros" for me.

Never heard of it - can you give some details?

2. Goody5 profile image59
      Goody5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You've got to be kidding, and if you're not it's a world war two movie from 1970 that starred Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalas, and Donald Sutherland to name just a few. You've got to see it!

4. Greensleeves Hubs profile image91
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 11 years ago

For pure action and adventure I would probably pick 'Zulu' or 'Master and Commander' or - if you want to go back a really long time (and to a place far far away) - 'Star Wars'. Can that count as a war film? The clue is in the title, but perhaps you won't accept it :-)

On a more serious note, I recommend 'Downfall'. There's not a lot of action, and the dialogue is subtitled because this is a German film with German actors, but it's a brilliant psychological study of the people in Hitler's claustrophobic bunker at the end of the war, and in the war-torn streets of Berlin up above.

5. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image71
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years ago

"The Deer Hunter." Robert DeNiro, Christopher Walken, Meryl Streep, among others. 5 Academy Awards. Parts of it took place in Vietnam and other parts in a place in western PA I am very familiar with.

6. Alastar Packer profile image72
    Alastar Packerposted 11 years ago

This ones from the 70s but still a very interesting film from director Sam Pekinpah- the guy who made the 'Wild Bunch' and so many other great movies. It's called 'Cross of Iron' and is about a German officer willing to sacrifice his men on the Russian front to gain the coveted Iron Cross medal for himself. It focus's on one squad of soldiers trying to survive and is quite good viewing.

7. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 11 years ago

I don't care much for battle scenes in "war movies". But if I was to pick one that I think is the most all-around entertaining and meaningful it would be "Catch-22".

8. multiculturalsoul profile image70
    multiculturalsoulposted 11 years ago

I teach a course titled "World War II in Film" (since it was the first "filmed" war of note), and my students consistently rank the following movies highly: Bridge on the River Kwai, Saving Private Ryan, The Dirty Dozen, and Band of Brothers (the HBO series). My personal favorite is Saints and Soldiers. Made on a shoestring budget, it focuses on men surviving despite incredible odds.

9. GuitarGear profile image60
    GuitarGearposted 11 years ago

I'll pick Apocalypse Now by Francis Ford Coppola.  It left a lasting impression on me having been a prospective draftee during the Vietnam war.  Thankfully I had a high draft number. I lost a lot of friends to that war and this movie really brought it home to me. It scared the hell out of me.

Why do I ALWAYS think "Apocalypse Now" is a Stanley Kubrick film?  I swear....Oh well, guess I can just be wrong on that one...I had to Google...
      That film is based on a book not even about Vietnam...I can't remember the name of it now...

10. uzma shaheen profile image71
    uzma shaheenposted 11 years ago

"Braveheart" is my all time favorite. after that I loved watching "body of lies" satrring tom hanks and leonardo dicaprio, its worth watching.

11. Angela Blair profile image67
    Angela Blairposted 11 years ago

My first thought is of an old WWII movie called "God Is My Co-Pilot." I was a little kid and heaven only knows why I was taken to a war movie (but then that was the favorite theme of film makers during WWII). The most amazing thing about the war movies of this particular time period is that they reflected the heart and soul of this entire natiojn -- back then we were all on the same page and how one felt individually didn't matter -- we stood together and fought to the death -- and there were, as we all know, many, many lives lost. Would that such a mindset could return to this country and we could once more "present" as a cohesive, dedicated populace. Excellent question!

12. Beata Stasak profile image79
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

I loved one of the first war movies of Mel Gibson's: GALLIPOLI, and also Clint Eastwood's 'The Flag of our Fathers' and its Japanese version as well. Recently I watched 'The Red Cliff' about the Eastern wars and it was great.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)