Would you listen to instrumentals?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (47 posts)
  1. hinazille profile image82
    hinazilleposted 12 years ago

I manage my husband as a producer out here in the Caribbean and he makes a lot of melodious instrumentals... would you listen to instrumentals or do you need vocals on a song for you to enjoy it?

1. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't see any problem with instrumental music. I like to listen to some when I'm reading or writing. A vocal track can be distracting

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I usually need the vocals.  Because in them is contained the meaning.

3. profile image0
      Olde Cashmereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Instrumentals can be just as powerful as songs with lyrics, if not more. Piano instrumentals are relaxing to listen to and I've always loved older Jazz music. I have to say my favorite instrumental is probably Metallica's "Orion" or Miles Davis's "So What"

hinazilleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks for participating in this discussion, im hearing a lot of music i mightnt have heard otherwise! i will take a listen to the two you mentioned... in the meantime i would love to hear what you think about Teardropz, a beat produced by my husband..

you can scroll down a little and see the link (i'm thinking if i post the link too many times, i might get flagged up for spamming or something similar)...

1. profile image0

Just finished listening to the beat your husband made. Really relaxed and cool vibe, I dug it. I enjoyed the instrumentation throughout it especially the passages where it became more lush. Great work

thank you for listening to the production detail... its greatt to have your support! its one of my favourite beats... you can check out more of our beats here... http://imcinc.weebly.com/beats-by-imc-inc.html

he produced this particular beat whilst studying engineering at Point blank music college in London...

1. profile image0

Really good work. He needs to stick with it, I can tell there's a lot of imagination in his music. Tell him to keep up the good work. Great job

your words of encouragement are much appreciated smile

4. jaybird22 profile image68
      jaybird22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think this depends on if it is from a known song or not.  If it is the instrumental of a well known song, most people would prefer to just hear the song.  If the instrumental is created as an instrumental, I think people would be fine with that.

this is particularly true for certain types of beats - a lot of the riddims that caribbean artists drop lyrics on are relatively bland by themselves... the lyrics showcase the potential of the beats...

5. LVidoni5 profile image77
      LVidoni5posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I really like instrumentals. Jazz, chill beats, that sort of thing. I put them on when I'm reading, writing, drawing, or painting. Sometimes lyrics can distract me when I'm trying to be creative myself.

i know exactly what you mean - sometimes lyrics can detract from the entire track... when i am writing articles or hubs i can easily listen to an instrumental it can even enhance my productivity, but songs with lyrics can throw me off my train of thought...

I would love to hear what you think of this instrumental my husband produced ...

http://soundcloud.com/imcinc-instrument … -like-that

6. Palomides profile image61
      Palomidesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Instrumentals and classical music definitely have their place -- I listen to them when I study, read, or write.  Anything when I need to be focused, but like to have some ambient noise.

2. jponiato profile image89
    jponiatoposted 12 years ago

There are a great many instrumentals in different styles that I like.  From big-band jazz to instrumental rock (including the "surf" music from half a century ago), and even some classical.  So yeah, if it has harmony, melody, and rhythm, then I'll listen to it.

thats interesting...for me the melody of the instruments & their harmonisations are the two main things that either attract me to that beat or make me never hear it again...

R&B beats tend to pull at the heartstrings a little more, whereas the swing genre beats transition me into another type of mood...on the other hand, certain dancehall & reggae beats are addictive, but then again i love rock too & indian instrumentals are great also!

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

If it's the kind of music (melody) that I like - instrumentals are among my favorite kind of music.  If I like the vocal version of a song I'll usually want a few different instrumental version of it too (solo, orchestra, band, whatever).  Then there's classical too.  (I don't happen to like most traditional jazz, and Big Band kind of makes me want to kill myself or someone else -but that's just me.   lol )

lol i know exactly what you mean, but loud noisy goth-rock type music has that effect on me...

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

sure...luv instrumentals...various genres, styles...and from different parts of the world

5. hinazille profile image82

wow! before i met my husband i never really listened to instrumentals, but i heard one particular beat he made that felt like it was playing with my heart lol.. are you open to hearing it?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sure!

www.soundcloud.com/azillec/teardropz

Let me know what you think smile we are recording a song on that currently & hope to release it too in the next few months..

6. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

Yes I do! When an instrumental piece is done extremely well, vocals are not needed. There are quite a few songs that I prefer the instrumental over the vocals.

i agree. take a listen to the instrumental i posted below - would you listen to it by itself?

7. hinazille profile image82

cool...

http://soundcloud.com/azillec/teardropz

id love to hear what you all think of the composition & the overall sound of the beat...

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, there's well produced instrumentals and then there's fooling around with a synthesizer and drum machine, which appears to be the latter here.

some of the major producers making a hell of a lot of money nowadays are all fooling around with synthesizers and drum machines... so it seems the latter is not so bad after all smile

8. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

Instrumentals are much better than a lot of what passes for "singing" these days.

that is definitely true. soldier boy's first track, nicki minaj's latest track...leave a lot to be desired

9. PerlongMedical profile image60
    PerlongMedicalposted 12 years ago

take a listen to the instrumental i posted below

10. TheHeavyReview profile image69
    TheHeavyReviewposted 12 years ago

A band who can make a good instrumental always gains my respect and appreciation.  So the answer is no... I don't need vocals to enjoy music.  However, I do respect a talented singer.

that's encouraging! we are always releasing fresh instrumentals for artists & music lovers, but the interest seems to be considerably higher with artists than with casual music listeners.

I tried posting a beat or two here to get your opinions, but it seems we are not allowed to do that as it isnt showing up...

scratch the last statement above, it IS letting me post the beat... if you scroll up you should be able to see the link...

would love to hear your opinion on the melody, composition & engineering...

11. soundtrack junkie profile image60
    soundtrack junkieposted 12 years ago

some music are best heard without lyrics

very true... what genre of music do you tend to lean more towards...

12. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 12 years ago

For me, it really depends on who and what.  Some music is excellent with out vocals, while other pieces of music are worthless without vocals. 

Some have vocals that would be better off without...  IMHO, Lulu is one such example.

its true! sometimes I hear a beat by itself and cant really connect with it, but when i hear the same beat with an artist on it, it really doesnt sound too bad...

let me know what you think of the instrumental i put up - my husband produced it whilst he was studying in London...

13. vmartinezwilson profile image79
    vmartinezwilsonposted 12 years ago

I like instrumentals.  Two of my favorite Duran Duran songs are Tel Aviv and Tiger Tiger, both without the vocals of my fav Simon leBon.

i think some instrumentals are so melodious themselves that no vocal is needed to showcase the beat.... but other times, the beats can be monotonous & require the vocals to really light up the track...

but interesting - you obviously really love those instrumentals because you don't mind that your fave is not on them! did you get a chance to listen to the instrumental i put up? i'd love to hear what you think...

1. vmartinezwilson profile image79
        vmartinezwilsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I did.  I enjoyed it, it had a very melodic tone while still having a dominant drum bass.  It started off kind of like The Clannad, but the beat gave it a more jazz tone the further I listened. 

He does good work!

Thanks for your kind words smile He loves making beats, so its always good to know when someone appreciates his effort...

i've never heard of the Clannad but i will check it out...

14. profile image0
    TTC12posted 12 years ago

I listen to many instrumentals - guitar-based like Shawn Lane and Joe Satriani, electronic music by Steve Roach or Jon Jenkins, music scores by Mark Isham, Thomas Newman and Hans Zimmer, or modern surf music by The Mermen. All good stuff to let your mind wander to.

interesting mix! I will check a few of those out for sure...

you mentioned you like guitar based beats.. what do you think of this one?

http://soundcloud.com/imcincorporated/g … t-you-want

15. bubblleess profile image60
    bubblleessposted 12 years ago

ii would .. it depends thou ..

depends on...?

16. profile image0
    Lisa Catherineposted 12 years ago

I think that an instrumental song is a wonderful thing. Although, I do love meaningful lyrics, I can be moved just as easily by a well crafted, dynamic, and passionate instrumental.

I do agree with a previous post that while writing or reading instrumentals are a much better fit. Unless you want the lyrics of the songs influencing whatever you are writing of course.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Early Black Sabbath had some good instrumentals. Emerson, Lake and Palmer, also.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)