jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why does a daughter-in-law take over their husband?

1. profile image45
    Veena Paulposted 7 years ago

Why does a daughter-in-law take over their husband?

2. davidseeger profile image61
    davidseegerposted 7 years ago

I don't know but, there is an old saw that goes like this:
    A daughter is a daughter all of her life,
    A son is a son until he takes a wife.

3. IdaKenelm profile image59
    IdaKenelmposted 7 years ago

"For this reason, a man shall leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife."  ~Bible.

4. mikicagle profile image90
    mikicagleposted 7 years ago

Because it is ordained by God-plus she wouldn't be able to "take over" unless he allowed it.

5. profile image52
    meghancsmithnjposted 7 years ago

Remember, a woman "runs" the house and usually the social calendar. She will always want her family around for the holidays, especially if she is from a family whose holidays are celebrated differently from his family traditions...Try to make some of your own family time and invite them over or out when it is just you and not all of her family...it can be more comforting...

6. Chaotic Chica profile image71
    Chaotic Chicaposted 7 years ago

I do not believe it is so much about 'taking over' as it is taking her rightful place.  Whether it be for biblical reasons or simply following society's historical placement of women, marriage changes the relationship children have with their parents.  Just as she is expected to 'honor and obey' her husband, he has taken vows to do the same for her.  I have never heard vows that state " I take thee to be my lawfully wedded wife, to honor, cherish, and obey unless my mother disagrees with you, then I side with her."  It is a mother's natural instict to want to guide their children as long as they live but it is also a woman's natural instict to want to right by their husband and serve him in the best way they see fit.  Unfortunately, the two women have a long history of rarely agreeing on what is best for the man in question.