jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you think it is okay to smack children for punishment?

1. Hawkers Bazaar profile image57
    Hawkers Bazaarposted 7 years ago

Do you think it is okay to smack children for punishment?

2. Nikki D. Felder profile image74
    Nikki D. Felderposted 7 years ago

I feel it is okay to smack a child on his or her bottom for punishment.  Then, follow that smack up with words that clarify your action, teaching the child not to do the infraction again!

3. eculligan profile image73
    eculliganposted 7 years ago

Nothing wrong with smacking your child on the bum to get your message across.  People are to worried about being to politically correct and so people are afraid to smack there child.  I witnessed a small child about 5 years old tell his father to "f" himself in the store. That is something my kid would never do.  That deserves a good smack on the bum and perhaps with a belt.  Disciplining your child is needed for his own good.  Your only doing your child a favor.  Without teaching your child respect, means he will probably grow up and never maintain a job or a good relationship.

4. Springboard profile image82
    Springboardposted 7 years ago

I am strongly for corporal punishment. I also think too often people confuse corporal punishment with abuse. In my view, the two are very different things. Corporal punishment serves a purpose in as much as jail time does. It simply is one consequence to bad behavior. Perhaps it's a more severe punishment, but like all punishments, there are degrees which are determined by the severity of the offense.

5. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 7 years ago

A small smack on the bottom with an explanation as to why you hit the child is ok. Anything more than that is child abuse.

I actually believe that taking away privileges such as TV, computer time, not allowed out, etc work better than a smack as children get older.

Taking a mobile phone (cell) away from a teenager for even a day works really well.

6. womenintouch profile image60
    womenintouchposted 7 years ago

It is neve rgood to smack children. Why would anyone want to do that. I do not care what a child does they do not deserve to be smacked. Think about this have you ever been smacked? How did it fee? Then imagine the way a child would feel. Smacking is abuse and no child should have to tolerate that type of abuse from anyone .

7. Jarn profile image83
    Jarnposted 7 years ago

I'm inclined to think it's better to smack children for punishment than it is to smack them for enjoyment. Man, that could be rough, let me tell you. Everytime dad was in a good mood we'd run for the hills.

working