jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Is it wrong to tell someone in your family that they are useless and good for no

1. whoisbid profile image76
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

Is it wrong to tell someone in your family that they are useless and good for nothing?

If it is wrong, why do you think it is wrong?

2. skgrao profile image72
    skgraoposted 6 years ago

YESSSSSS, please do not show one's weakness the person knows.Try to induce some motivation.

3. profile image0
    melafxposted 6 years ago

i think sometimes it is wrong, others not, depends on the situation. for example, if i have someone of my family, that because of his addiciton he's ruin the family, yeah, i think would say that. but in other cases it might be strong words to say..

4. instantlyfamily profile image81
    instantlyfamilyposted 6 years ago

Yes. In my opinion, it would be wrong to tell ANYONE that they are useless and/or good for nothing. A person appearing to be unproductive may actually be suffering with depression caused by things you may be unaware of.  And by telling them that they are useless, you may actually be causing more harm to them.

5. Blond Logic profile image98
    Blond Logicposted 6 years ago

This is an interesting question. I normally would say no, don't tell them. Often people put down someone else only to make themselves feel better. What good will it do? Who will benefit from it? Words of encouragement are better. Some people will always be spongers, it is better to consider yourself first, disassociate with them and move on. This isn't always easy when it is a family member but it has to be done.

6. profile image52
    michelegoldsteinposted 6 years ago

Yes, because it becomes what they say to themselves,  then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and they will continue to meet your expectations of being useless and good for nothing. Encourage, inspire, and believe in them and they may start to believe in themselves. Tell them what is good about them; their strengths, skills and talents, which they may not be aware of.

7. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Yes, it is wrong to tell someone that--even if by your estimation it is true.  All people have feelings and just because they don't fit into our idea of success doesn't give us the right to be unkind and cruel.

Telling a person that will not change them, or open their eyes to their faults--it will hurt and knock them down.  Be better than that, stay positive.

8. auge profile image60
    augeposted 6 years ago

It is good to be honest, but in most cases it is not the best way. Firstly, you should make sure what people are in all situations. If they are really useless, and good for nothing, like just being badass and not helping family, doesnt do anything for it and just absorbs its budget or drives everybody mad, and you did not notice anything nice in the person, then it is good to talk about it with person. He/she may not see how bad they are, and must be told it strictly, but not offensive. Honest talk is needed.

9. delaneyworld profile image79
    delaneyworldposted 6 years ago

I believe everyone has a purpose in life.  It may not be a purpose that you understand, but they have a purpose.  I believe that you get what you give and if you allow yourself to make that judgment, it not only brings your family member down, but you as well.

working