Do people bully because they are insecure with themselves?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

Do people bully because they are insecure with themselves?

Why do people really bully? Are they insecure with themselves? Why would others act so viciously? How would they feel if the role were reversed?

2. Peter Leeper profile image60
    Peter Leeperposted 12 years ago

I think people bully for any number of reasons.  I think it can be a learned behavior based on how they are raised.  I.e. if parents gave into their demands when they were being very pushy, it could manifest into bullying in adolescence.  If a father bullies his mother and gets his way, it could be learned that way too. 

I also think that some kids who are bullies have lives that are out of control and they bully as a form of being able to "control" something.  They know if they threaten and the other kids wimpers, they caused it and can do it again and again.

They are also insecurity and think this is the only way to get attention of "respect/ fear" from anyone.  Bullies are often very frightened people who are acting out to cover up their fear.  In some people this manifests itself in humor.  Humor is what distracts themselves from feeling victimized although they are victimized nonetheless.

In growing up, I witnessed many times that the bullier and bullied grew to be friends as they were older.  It always seemed odd but it happened and evolved into a "normal" relationship.

The unfortunate thing is when the bullied are pushed beyond what they see as the brink and bring themselves to hurt themselves.  It is those times that I hope i have good communication with my son so that if he is ever having trouble, he can talk it through with me and not think he is all alone in his plight.  This stands true if he were the bully too as I would do anything I could to help him find the root of his insecurities and not take them out on others.

Good question!

3. Melis Ann profile image84
    Melis Annposted 12 years ago

I believe this is one of the main reasons, but I'm sure it's more complicated than that. I tell this to my kids so they can attempt to understand and not take things personally if they get bullied.

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

When I was researching for an article on bullying, I discovered that a common thing for bullies is that they think too highly of themselves and can often have narcissistic leanings.  Bullies are known to be more likely to come from a home where they have experienced or witnessed verbal and/or physical violence.

Basically (and this is just personal opinion here), I think bullies want, need and/or like to be "Number 1" (if not in every situation then at least in the occasional one).  I recently saw some videos by Patricia Evans (known for writing/speaking about verbal abuse).  The subject may not seem to apply to a lot of bullying, but she says things her in videos that really help point out the thinking of people who want to control or undermine others.  She points out how when someone wants to undermine/control someone else, and says something in his attempt to do that; he isn't "seeing a person".  So, as with narcissists, the person doesn't even see someone else as a person (so there's no "what if the shoe were on the other foot" factor.  That would be kind of like saying to someone who pounds a table, "What if the shoe were on the other foot?"

Lack of empathy is responsible for a lot of victimization, and one problem is that empathy is something children learn and have nurtured in their first few years.  I think bullies are just aggressive, egotistical, people who can't control the wish to control or belittle someone else whom they think deserves it.

5. Sky9106 profile image65
    Sky9106posted 12 years ago

Bullies are mostly who cannot easily be alone they are not comfortable in their own skins, so they must get some others to distract the direct attention each and ever human receives.
    They are actually cowards. They are the people needing the most help in life. Whether young or old , they are never happy .

6. rocknrollcowboy profile image60
    rocknrollcowboyposted 12 years ago

I think they are insecure with themselves but also think they feel it gives them power over others and it makes them feel good

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)