jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do you love all your children equally?

1. weavesandbraids profile image80
    weavesandbraidsposted 5 years ago

Do you love all your children equally?

2. The Blagsmith profile image78
    The Blagsmithposted 5 years ago

I think we set out to be. However, we all naturally will lean towards people with behaviours that appeal to us. My youngest who is seven has a personality which to me I find very interesting whilst my oldest who is nine tends to do stuff which is very annoying. The youngest also is naturally tactile always coming to me for hugs whilst his brother is stand offish and will only hold your hand for security.

Due to this I do tend to find myself leaning more towards my youngest. However, I cannot treat them differently otherwise I am neglecting the attention of one child to the preference of another. This cannot happen so I take time out to make my eldest feel special when his younger brother is not around.

So do I love one more than the other? Yes and No. Love is not just about where your natural inclinations are but how you deliver your care for them. My eldest can with my attention help develop our relationship better over time. This may change meaning I may prefer his company at some point.

Which leads to the next aspect can we all treat our own children equally? No, as our love in the sense of care has to change to appropriate the attention that child needs. If a child falls ill - we need to give it more love. When a child has more independence it may not require us as parents to love them so much.

Our hearts however, how difficult it may be, have to give love equally and to do this we may need to give our care (love) more to balance that difference.

1. weavesandbraids profile image80
      weavesandbraidsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am comforted by this answer.
      I have a wilful extremely energetic son there's never a restful moment around him. Atimes I need some space, I was wondering whether that meant I don't love him as much as the others

3. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

i love my baby because every day she brings a smile to my face as i watch her learn. i love my oldest son because he has grown up to be an amazing man. i love my youngest son because we are like buddies in the things we do together, i love my oldest daughter because she is becoming the lady any dad would be proud of. i love my middle daughter because no one can love animals and people more then her. i love my middle son because he will make a person happy even in the saddest times. which one do i love the most? if i did love one of them more, i wouldn't be able to say or explain why because the love i have for them is complete.

4. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

Even though parents strongly purport to loving ALL their children EQUALLY, that is SIMPLY NOT  TRUE.  MOST parents love ONE or SOME children in the family BETTER than they do others. read more

working