jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Could you give all that you have to someone in greater need than yourself?

1. Bella Nina profile image74
    Bella Ninaposted 5 years ago

Could you give all that you have to someone in greater need than yourself?

If you had five dollars to your name, could you find someone who was in greater need than yourself . . . and then give it to them?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7121543_f260.jpg

2. Mom Kat profile image81
    Mom Katposted 5 years ago

Yes. I have actually done things similar to this many times in my life.

I guess it's because the feeling I get from giving to others is grater than the satisfaction of keeping something for myself.

1. Bella Nina profile image74
      Bella Ninaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I believe that when we give, we always get something good from it.

3. Trish303 profile image73
    Trish303posted 5 years ago

Yes and I have done it. At one time me and my husband was homeless and because of it we had many good friends that where also homeless. Every now and then we would get temp jobs or donate plasma and we would give the money way sometimes to friend that could not earn any so they could eat or get something they needed. Even today while we are no longer in need we still once a week try and find someone that needs help.

4. Denise Handlon profile image90
    Denise Handlonposted 5 years ago

Absolutely.  I've done this many times.  When someone is in need it is an opportunity for compassion.  I recently was approached by someone for cab fare to go home.  Was he really going to use it?  Not my place to judge.  He needed $7.00  I gave him $10 which required me to actually go to an ATM machine and remove it since I did not have that cash on me.   

I think there are many, many people 'out there' who need help.  I have needed help many times in my life and received it.  It is a humbling experience to be able to recall how I was aided, be able to help someone else and 'pay it forward'.

5. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 5 years ago

I am a person that goes for teaching people how they can survive with what they can do. It is always best for people to do something that can help themselves than people just giving them money since it will not last their lifetime.

Teaching people the survival skill will always be my choice of helping.

6. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

Quite honestly,.....................only my children. Anyone else, I'd be happy to help up to a point, but 'all that I have' only to my children. We're low middle class living in Greece, so it's pretty tough anyway.

7. GoodWorld profile image61
    GoodWorldposted 5 years ago

I've never given "all" I have to someone else in need. I try to give something though and have many times and it always comes back in one form or another. People usually are genuinely good.

8. Beata Stasak profile image84
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

The self-preservation is too strong, we never give all, but people are generally good and the majority of us who are more fortunate try to give something back. I have been once, one of those in need and received help from strangers as well and I know it is my time now to pay it back...what we give back often depends what we value the most...I don't believe in 'gathering of material possessions I don't need' so usually I give away anything...but I value 'time' so volunteering is something I am proud of doing...

working