Did you ever decide to run away when you were a kid?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (27 posts)
  1. ThompsonPen profile image66
    ThompsonPenposted 11 years ago

Did you ever decide to run away when you were a kid?

What was your destination goal? Did you actually go through with it? How long did you last before turning back?

2. rclinton5280 profile image64
    rclinton5280posted 11 years ago

So many times I lost count. Once, we ran away from home and planned to walk to the nearest big city. We walked about 10 miles through the most of the night, and only got about 1/10 of the way there. We slept under a bridge, froze our butts off, and got picked up and carried back to town the next morning. One of the roughest nights of my life. I will never forget it.

3. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 11 years ago

I ran away for about an hour when I was 7 but it was cold and raining sobI turned back.

4. kansasyarn profile image85
    kansasyarnposted 11 years ago

I used to think about running away as a kid.  The only time I did it, I told my family I was running away.  I then walked about 1 block away from home and waited a bit.  Then, when everyone was still in the house acting like I surely had not or would not go anywhere, I walked back to our backyard and waited on the picnic table.  I was probably 9 or 10 years old and decided to "hide in plain sight."  Not longer after I got there, my family was looking for me like crazy, and I had to let them know I was there and ok.  Too funny!

5. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Yes. I packed up my little purple case, completely organized with the clothes folded. Walked down the street until I got to the corner, re-thought my plan, then turned back home. My mother was already waiting for me.

6. unvrso profile image82
    unvrsoposted 11 years ago

I decided to run away from home when I was 12 years old. My destination was the ocean. I have always been attracted by the ocean. I think it all started when I went to the ocean for the first time.

My destination at that time was a coastal city named Los Mochis, Mexico. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to work at the shipyards there. I returned home after three months and that was because my mother begged me to return. If not, I could have gone to another coastal city.

7. samazi profile image71
    samaziposted 11 years ago

No I didn't think of that I was always surrounded with dotting parents and playful brothers and sisters.

8. daydreams profile image94
    daydreamsposted 11 years ago

Yes. I was about 3 at the time, so I don't remember why. Apparently I had packed a selection of toys and got as far as the landing!

9. blessedp profile image78
    blessedpposted 11 years ago

Yes! I did try to run away from home but the thoughts of the unknown and the fear that held me, never allowed me to leave the known.

In short I thought about it, I had no destination never did go through with it and I certainly didn't last long because it never happened. 

But truth is am happy I didn't.

10. Electro-Denizen profile image80
    Electro-Denizenposted 11 years ago

Well I ran away from school as a kid. I said I needed the bathroom and then ran 12km without stopping to get back home. I was about 9 or 10.But I guess that's running away to home, which is perhaps the opposite of this question.

11. SoundNFury profile image79
    SoundNFuryposted 11 years ago

Yeah, I did.  Haha, I can't remember why exactly, but I guess I had enough of whatever it was.  I packed my little suitcase and made it to about the corner of our block.  Didn't get much past there. smile

12. wildove5 profile image75
    wildove5posted 11 years ago

No, never.  My mother made it perfectly clear that If I chose to leave the house or run away, I could only leave with what I came with.  That being said I would have had to run away naked as a jay bird and the thought of that terrified me more than running away!  I did however move out at 17 after an argument, ( with cloths on and a laundry basket full.)  I stayed with a friend for a few weeks then found an apartment.  It lasted four months before I returned home.

13. kittythedreamer profile image75
    kittythedreamerposted 11 years ago

I ran away to get away from my Dad's house. Just ran away to my Mom's, a place where he didn't want me going. I followed through with it and stayed for 3 months, until I got shuffled around again between parents. This was at the age of 13. So happy I'm an adult and living a happy life now! LOL.

14. flacoinohio profile image77
    flacoinohioposted 11 years ago

I did several times, I was running away to my dads house, I got caught by family members or law enforcement every time.  I never made it to my destination.

15. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 11 years ago

My younger sister and I ran away one day. We packed crackers and koolaid. The adventure had more to do with boredom. We had our little picnic in a field. When we returned, no one even noticed we were gone. I was a bad influence on her.

Years later my youngest sister told me that she and my sister that had gone with me ran away from home lots of times and did the same thing. I should add we were country kids and craved excitement. There wasn't a lot to do.

16. Sharkye11 profile image89
    Sharkye11posted 11 years ago

No. I never tried that. If I got angry I usually plotted revenge, instead. Never carried through with that either. I was too boring and practical to run away...I hated being cold, and the thought of starving terrified me. smile I was also lazy. (still am!)

17. nanderson500 profile image77
    nanderson500posted 11 years ago

Me and my siblings would sometimes talk about it, but we were never serious. I think my brother and sister managed to get as far as the local Dairy Queen one day, ha ha.

18. Rose Anne Karesh profile image69
    Rose Anne Kareshposted 11 years ago

I never did as a kid but sometimes I think about packing up my family and running away now as an adult. I dream of a year long traveling adventure. But then I guess it's not running away from home if your bring your family with you.

19. Ericdierker profile image49
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

Yes but this was expected of a country boy. It was a mutual kind of understanding that time alone might get a head on straight -- it worked. A few nights cooking your own fish staring at the stars alone and grazing on berries, dandelion and watercress and maybe just not eating for a day or two is good for a 12 year old. Probably hard on moms.

20. CRe8tiVeLiFe profile image68
    CRe8tiVeLiFeposted 11 years ago

Yes. I had a full $57 saved up. I was 11 years old. I was CONVINCED I was dying and didn't want my parents to have to go through watching me die. Ha! The minds of kids. I only got one town over and lectured by the parent who picked me up for hitchhiking. ;-)

21. velzipmur profile image80
    velzipmurposted 11 years ago

Yes as a matter of fact I did think about it. I never did it though. I am pretty sure we have all entertained that idea as a child. I could never decide on a destination maybe that's why I never ran away!

22. Georgie Lowery profile image90
    Georgie Loweryposted 11 years ago

When I was real little (less than five), I packed all my favorite toys into a little suitcase and ran away. This consisted of walking across the street to my granny's house. My mother wouldn't let me have an extra chocolate chip cookie so I decided to show her! They let me stay the night, of course I thought I'd won the game. My daddy came and got me the next morning. He tells me now that he was struggling so hard not to laugh!

23. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

never run away but did had such thoughts bcoz me and my bro couldn't stand our parents quarrels and hands on fighting but we stayed on in order to make sure they don't kill each other, for real.

24. profile image0
    James E.posted 11 years ago

I believe that if you have a free spirit inside of you at one time or another running away is a natural feeling.  As a kid, the thought crossed my mind, but never considered it entirely.  I always was able to escape into that hopeful phrase "One of these days I will...."

And now that I am older I still use the same phrase.  Ralph Emerson said it best when he insight-fully declared "We do not yet possess ourselves, and we know at the same time we are much more." 

I will never stop believing I am always much more than I am today.  Dreams are reachable and you can't get there by running away from the experiences that are difficult, but manageable..

25. Taleb80 profile image78
    Taleb80posted 11 years ago

I was thinking so much about that, I was thinking about going to the forest & to build a house on a big tree.

26. alancaster149 profile image77
    alancaster149posted 11 years ago

Can't say I didn't have it in mind. Fed up at and with school, I decided to 'hop it' and set off up the road from school. 'Run away to London', I thought to myself, 'get away from this!'
    I walked up Flatts Lane and knocked on the door of the gate lodge of Upsall Grange. When the door opened I recognised the lad from school, but still asked,
    'Have you any jobs you want doing?' (I was going to work my way south, so I thought. There weren't any jobs going, he said. I set off back to 'civilisation'. 'Sod this', I thought.
    When I'd gone some way back towards Normanby someone stopped and offered a lift, then drove me back to Eston Square and told me to watch myself. I thanked him and walked back to where I lived in Ayton Crescent (named after James Cook's village where he grew up at Aireyholme Farm).
    That was running away over and done with - for the time being. I did 'get away' by sitting an exam to go to Art school and finished up at Scarborough School of Art (thinking I was going to Redcar Tech College).

27. mahmud11557 profile image60
    mahmud11557posted 11 years ago

Yes,i once run away from home during a kid.My father was angry with me because i hit a cat until a broken leg.I escaped to the bus station,but not for long time.When i feel hungry i will go back to the house.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)