jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Is a single-parent home the best atmosphere to raise children?

1. ldferb profile image59
    ldferbposted 3 years ago

Is a single-parent home the best atmosphere to raise children?

Even if one parent is stable and well-rounded do you think that children will fair better than they would in a two-parent environment?

2. Hendrika profile image82
    Hendrikaposted 3 years ago

No, it is far from ideal. Experience though has taught me that it is better than a home where the parents are constantly fighting.

1. ldferb profile image59
      ldferbposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I can understand, and also relate, to this as well.  I am the product of a single-parent environment, but I often wonder what it would have been like to be in a family with my biological father and mother together.  Would I have turned out different?

2. Venkatachari M profile image45
      Venkatachari Mposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Definitely. Your attitude towards life would have been better if you have been living with your father and mother together.

3. Venkatachari M profile image45
    Venkatachari Mposted 3 years ago

Never. It is not good for children to be brought up in single parent home. Children should get the love and care of both father and mother to have their full and healthy growth. Those brought up by single parent lack love of the missing parent and thereby develop averse and hatred feelings and may not be able to have a healthy balanced mind.
    It might be an unavoidable situation for some children and they may be helpless to get the love of both parents. But some adjustment should be made by such children by looking at other elderly people in their environment as their other parent or guardian to fill up the gap and get the missing love or care from them. It may give them solace and not let them down.

4. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

I'm not sure if there is a real answer to this. Best is subjective. What if the father is abusive, or the mother is a drug addict? Is it best for the child to have two parents even if one of those parents is a bad influence? Do both of the parents have to be blood or could one be a step parent? Do both parents need to be a male and female or could it be a same sex relationship? In an ideal world we would have two quality parents (no matter their relation to the child). I believe children need balance. No matter how good one parent is, two quality minds are better than one. I'm not saying a single parent can't produce quality kids, just that life would be better for all involved if there was a second parent in place to balance out the children.

5. lisavollrath profile image97
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

Children are best raised in a stable, loving environment. If that's with two parents, or one parent, or a multi-generational home, it doesn't matter.

6. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

It really depends on the environment. Sometimes children do better being with a single parent than they would have if the parents stayed together and presented a volatile or toxic household. Children do better with stability.
    Naturally it would be a blessing for a child to have two loving parents in the home. However human beings make mistakes and oftentimes this includes (selecting the wrong mates) for ourselves. A child shouldn't have to pay for that mistake. Sometimes what is in the best interest of the child is having their parents live apart.

7. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I can understand why people answer they way they have. I don't think a child has to have two parents in the household in order to be well-adjusted kids who grow up to well-adjusted adults. Man or woman, I don't think they should jump into another marriage simply to have to parents for their kids. Set aside for a moment any thinking about the ex-spouse being abusive, a drug addict, or any other bad situation. What if simply a case of one parent dying. Some people never get over the loss or, for whatever reason, don't want to get involved in another relationship. Are all of those children going to experience problems now or later in life? Yes, I agree that sons should have make role models and daughters female role models, but that doesn't men those people have to be a parent living in the house with them. I know many single parents who are doing a wonderful job raising their children on their own and those children fair just as well as kids with two parents.

1. Venkatachari M profile image45

Sheilamyers, I understood your point. What I propagate or advise is that a couple should not break down on trivial or even serious differences between them. They should patch up their quarrels and care for the child instead of depriving the child

2. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Venkatachari: I couldn't agree with you more. I've seen married couples fight and break up over the most ridiculous little things. Even some the major problems can be fixed by discussing them and some kind of compromise.

3. Venkatachari M profile image45

Sorry. But, I repeat my point. They should not fight and breakup. Some give and take should be there. Please try to understand each other's points and value each other's attitudes. No person can be perfect match and one should ignore other's mistakes

8. CWanamaker profile image97
    CWanamakerposted 3 years ago

No.  Children will benefit most from being raised in a two parent household that is stable, safe, and nurturing.

1. Venkatachari M profile image45

I also agree with your view 100%. There can be very rare cases where a child is not affected whether he is with single parent or double parent.