jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

How do you stop family members causing gossip about you that is not true?

1. profile image58
    Debranneposted 22 months ago

How do you stop family members causing gossip about you that is not true?

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 22 months ago

The only person you have complete control over is (you).
    Therefore you can either compete with them getting out your version of whatever it is to people or you can just ignore it unless something worthy of bringing up a lawsuit.
    People who love to gossip are going to gossip.

1. WordCrafter09 profile image79
      WordCrafter09posted 22 months agoin reply to this

I agree with this but I think there also needs to be one or more "leaders" in a family that know how to discourage a "culture of gossip" within that family.  Office or family, the "we don't have that going on here" thing can help some.

3. Happylovejoy profile image97
    Happylovejoyposted 22 months ago

I think you just need to be honest with them..and preferably when the family is gathered together..so you can easily clarify matters..if they still want to gossip and spread false rumors about you..I guess there is nothing you can really do because that will be a character issue..you ll probably want to minimize contact with them too (less contact, less things to gossip about).

4. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 22 months ago

Stop talking to them about personal events and activities and make it clear to your associates that you are no longer associating with them. Then others know that those relatives don't really know anything about them.
    I suggest reading the book "Boundaries", and then constructively limiting contact with them.

5. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 22 months ago

Confront them, be assertive.  Inform them that you refuse to tolerate such malicious behavior. Then severely limit contact w/such "family" members for they are toxic to say the least.  Perhaps, it is better to disown them for they aren't really family.  Family is defined as members who love, respect, & nurture each other.  If members are toxic & venomous, they aren't family at all.