- Food and Cooking
Dahi Vada Recipe
Urad Dal Dahi Vada
Traditionally Dahi vadas are a dish of north India. Though it is fried but it doesn’t contain much calories. It is a very tasty dish.
Usually children like it a lot. This dish contains lots of yogurt so it is healthy also. It is not a main dish but a side dish. Usually it is served with sweet tamarind chutney. There are two kind of dahi vadas, one made from moong dal and other made from urad dal. Usually people make the Dahi vadas from the Moong Dal. The Vadas made from moong dal are smaller in size than Urad dal Vadas. Here we are going to make Urad dal vadas. The trick is to make them soft from inside. As the urad dal vadas are quite big in size as compared to moong dal vadas so the chances are that the centre of the vadas may be hard. If you make it exactly the way it is written here, then chances are that you would have very soft vadas from inside too. The ingredients are easily available and not very costly. Though it takes some effort and time to make this dish but in the end it is worth it.
Serves : 8
A. For Vadas
1. Oil: ½ liter or 18 Fl oz.
2. Urad Dal: 500 grams or 18 oz.
3. Salt: To taste.
4. Yogurt 1 Kg or 35 oz.
5. Salted water: 3 Liters or 105 Fl oz.
6. Pomegranate seeds: 15 grams or ½ Oz.
7. Red chili powder: 2 tsp.
8. Roasted cumin powder: 2 Tsp.
B. For Tamarind Sauce
1. Tamarind: 250 grams.
2. Jaggary ( gur): 400 grams.
3. Rock Salt ( kala namak): 1 Tsp.
4. Salt: To Taste
5. Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp.
6. Cumin Powder roasted and grounded: 2Tsp.
7.Dried Mint Leaves Crushed: ½ Tsp
8. Water: 500 ml or 18 Fl oz.
A. For Vadas:
1. Soak urad dal over night in plain tap water.
2. Now drain it and put in mixer grinder.
3. Grind it to a very fine paste adding no or very little water.
4. Now churn the paste thoroughly so it becomes fluffy.
5. Now take a large pan with a heavy base.
6. Heat oil in the pan on high.
7. Wet your palms.
8. Take a small portion of dal paste, flatten it and give it a round shape. The size should cover your fingers.
9. Now when oil is heated, turn the heat to medium.
10. Now fry the flattened round dal paste till it gets golden brown turning it once or twice.
11. Remove from oil and put it on butter paper and let it cool for 10 minutes.
12. Now make about 16 more with the remaining.
13. Now soak these in the salted water for 3 hours.
14. Now churn the yogurt so it has uniform consistency.
15. Now squeeze each vada between palms so all excess water is drained.
16. Now put them in a big bowl.
17. Pour half of yogurt over the vadas and refrigerate it for two hours.
B. For Tamarind Chutney.
1. Take a large bowl and put 500 ml of water in that.
2. Put jaggery and tamarind in the water.
3. Boil and drain in colander.
4. Now in the strained liquid add rock salt, salt, red chili powder, roasted and grounded cumin powder and crushed
1. Take two vadas in plate.
2. Pour little more yogurt over them.
3. Put 4 tsp of tamarind sauce or chutney.
4. Sprinkle salt, red chili powder and cumin powder.
5. Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
6. Serve immediately.
More recipes from me
- Kashmiri Lamb Chops Recipe
The Kashmiri lamb chops is one of the specialty of the region and most Kashmiri people are very fond of lamb and mutton. These lamb chops are cooked in a very unique way as first they are boiled in milk and they are fried. Boiling in milk makes them
- Stuffed Bananas Recipe
Banana is one of the most liked fruit in whole of world. It is easily available and very cheap all over the world. It is full of carbohydrates as it is generally thought but it is also full of minerals, fibers, vitamins and is very tasty and healthy.
- Chicken in Yellow Curry Sauce Recipe
his chicken recipe is pretty easy to make as most of the sauces can be easily brought in the market. It is also very healthy as it has large portions of baby corns. It tastes great and children just love this chicken. It can be served as main course
- Prawns In Sesame Seeds Recipe
Prawns are very healthy meat. They are very rich source of not only proteins but also omega 3 fatty acids which is very good for the heart. Also prawn meat is very light on calories so it is very good for the people who are trying to loose weight. Ch
- Baked Bread Rolls Recipe
Bread rolls is one of the favourite snack of North Indians. It is originally a recipe from the Punjab but now it is made all over the world. Problem with the Bread rolls is that they are very unhealthy because they are deep fried. Bread rolls are eas
- Mushrooms, Bell Pepper And Peas recipe
I posted another recipe calledMushroom Bhajji. It was pretty much liked by my friends here on Hubpages and on Facebook. They encouraged me to write variation of this healthy and tasty recipe so I came up with a modification of Mushroom Bhajji recipe.
- Kanji A Refreshing Drink Recipe
Kanji is a very refreshing drink usually drunk in India at the end of winters. It is non alcoholic, tasty drink enjoyed equally by children and adults. Since it is made of just water and carrots so it is very healthy and also practically has no calor
- Chicken and Prawn Noodles in Coconut Broth Recipe
This dish is from Indonesia. It is very tasty and healthy dish as all ingredients like chicken, prawns and coconut are very healthy and contains very less calories, yet rich in vitamins, calcium and minerals. Again like other dishes I posted here, th