Sushi

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (65 posts)
  1. melbel profile image92
    melbelposted 15 years ago

Does anyone here like sushi? I am absolutely addicted.

My favorites:
    Shrimp tempura roll
    Spider roll
    California roll

What kind of sushi do you like?

1. Kadmiels profile image50
      Kadmielsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

all i can say is to each there own smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image77
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I love California rolls and barbecued eel.

3. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 15 years ago

Shrimp and avocado
    Tuna and avocado

4. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 15 years ago

Uni and, of course, Toro!

5. dohn121 profile image80
    dohn121posted 15 years ago

Spider Rolls are amazing and the best Spicy Tuna Roll I ever had was 90 from NYC.  The only sushi I'm not crazy about is mackerel...It's just too darn fishy.lol

1. candice5 profile image61
      candice5posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Crab and Avocado, Yum, and I always buy an extra 2 packs of that ginger, they never give you enough.

1. dohn121 profile image80
        dohn121posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree. And don't forget the warm Sake!  I actually worked at a Chinese/Japanese/Indonesian/Korean restaurant.  It had some of the best Asian food I've ever had.  I knew the chefs and sometimes, when they knew that they weren't going to be able to sell some of the sushi, they'd give it to me.  Being poor and going to college, this worked out very nicely.lol

6. darkside profile image58
    darksideposted 15 years ago

I don't like sushi. I LOVE it.

7. Envoy profile image67
    Envoyposted 15 years ago

I love California rolls oh man! Ginger oh yeah!
    Okay for fear of sounding completely Sushi illiterate...
    What's are Spider Rolls?

Spider Rolls are some of the most expensive sushi you can buy.  They are soft-shelled spider crabs that are deep-fried in tempura batter with seasonings...OMG, I'm getting so hungry talking about this!lol

1. tksensei profile image59
        tksenseiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not even close.

2. Envoy profile image67
        Envoyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

spider crabs okay makes sense. Sounds fantastic I am going to have to try it I love Sushi yum! smile Thanks so much for your answer.

8. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

Sushi fan here, too, though my favorite Japanese foods are the udon noodle soups. Yum!

9. kmackey32 profile image53
    kmackey32posted 15 years ago

EEEEW I don't like it, raw meat just doesn't sound good to me. I hate clams as well, wont even try something that looks like snot. LMAO

If you won't even try, you are cheating yourself.

Absolutely.  I dated this one girl who only ate chicken parmigiana.  Her and I didn't see eye-to-eye.  We split after about a week. She wasn't into anything new.

2. kmackey32 profile image53
        kmackey32posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't think i can. My tummy turns at the thought of putting it in my mouth. lol

You can do it!!!

2. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sushi actually refers to the sticky steamed rice. Not all sushi has raw fish. Some rolls don't have any fish at all.

That being said, when we go out for sushi/sashimi, I go all out for the fish. I will eat pretty much anything, but my favorites are the sake and hamachi maki. If I'm feeling really hungry or have a lot of extra money (okay, so that happened only once), I'll go for toro sashimi. It's all very tasty, and the kids think my wasabi face is funny.

3. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There are actually lots of rolls where the fish/seafood is fully cooked, and you can get some of the nigiri type sushi seared or smoked.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There's also vegetarian sushi.  (Other than the vegetarian variety, I plan to go to my grave without ever having tried sushi.   smile  )

Why, oh why?

10. profile image0
    Sidney Rayneposted 15 years ago

I love sushi...used to eat the rolls but mostly stick to the nigiri and sashimi now....no need for all of that fried madness. As well...some of the rolls that I used to like...Super Crunch for example...are loaded with mayo and other rubbish...yecch.

Think if you get good sushi...toss a little wasabi in the soy sauce...that is all you need. But that is me..

Also agree Dohn...mackerel is a no go...double yecch.

11. emievil profile image64
    emievilposted 15 years ago

I love sushi! California maki, uni sushi, spider rolls, the spicy stuff and those that have salmon on them. mmmmmmmm!

12. blondepoet profile image69
    blondepoetposted 15 years ago

Omg sushi omg!!!
    I adoreeeeeeeeeeeeeee sushi!!!!
    They are my biggest temptations.
    California rolls mmmmmm
    Prawn mmmmmmmmm
    Chicken terriyaki
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1. profile image59
      logic,commonsenseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Those are your "biggest" temptations? Darn!

1. blondepoet profile image69
        blondepoetposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No they are not my biggest ones Logic we will leave the biggest to your imagination smile smile smile The temptations get worse I can tell you ROFL

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image51
          GeneralHowitzerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi blonde I haven't seen you for a long while... how you're doin'... stunner hehehehe...

Hiya GH how are the armies situated down in the East? Any stray soldiers u send em this way,ROFL. Missed u guys...

2. profile image59
          logic,commonsenseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure?  My imagination can be quite vivid! smile

13. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 15 years ago

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xGYmmWj-9ww/R6H57W7a1aI/AAAAAAAAByA/rB7iRbNQHTA/s320/umai+godzilla+roll.jpg

GODZILLA ROLL!!!!

14. profiler profile image64
    profilerposted 15 years ago

If you like sushi, try this little game out:

Sushi Chef

the webpage is in portuguese but the game in english smile

15. Gennifer profile image53
    Genniferposted 15 years ago

I adore sushi, and once a month I try to visit sishi bar. My beloved is California roll!! mmmmmmm *real jam*

1. Gennifer profile image53
      Genniferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Just wanted to add that I even made sushi at home. My best friend studies in Poland and she rented a flat with a Japanese girl, who tought her to make sushi at home. After a year of living with this girl she was a real expert in home-made sushi. And when my friend returned home we made it together. Was very nice. I got a lot of pleasure both from the process of cooking and from eating sushi. mmmmmm... was very delicious!

1. Chris1|Chris2 profile image60
        Chris1|Chris2posted 15 years agoin reply to this

It can be so hard to make though! It's certainly great when you finally get around to eating it--in my experience, the sense of accomplishment alone was enough to add a newfound sense of deliciousness to the sushi I made.
        I think I'm really just too lazy to make sushi myself :p, when I want sushi I want it to be top quality (which I definitely cannot do at this point) and I want it IMMEDIATELY smile

2. tksensei profile image59

Traditionally, women should not make sushi. It was believed that their hands were warmer than men's and would thus affect the perfect temperature of the sushi. Even today, top sushi chefs are always men.

Sexist sushi?

I did not know that, every Sushi Bar around here has woman making the Sushi, Hell I even make my own Sushi, so will chill the hands, bit like the hangis in New Zealand Men always make them too. Do not know reason there either maybe eagle can give us the info,.

There are seriously like no female sushi chefs in LA... I wish my city was more like where you're from!

2. Chris1|Chris2 profile image60

That's fascinating! You know, I never really realized until now that I have never seen a female sushi chef... Crazy! And kind of sad sad

I'm the opposite never met a guy making it.

Go into any sushi restaurant where the chef is actually Japanese and not Korean or Chinese and I'll bet you find the chef is male.

Just sayin'

16. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Love them smile See my tribute here http://hubpages.com/hub/Me-and-Sushi

Oh, and the favorite thing is salmon smile

17. profile image0
    Lady_Eposted 15 years ago

I used to think Sushi would taste horrible cos it was raw Fish, but a friend of mine took me to a Sushi restaurant months ago and it was delicious.

Can't remember the name of what we ate (sort of like rice wrapped up in fish) but the sauce was Mustardy and at first, it went thru my brain. lol

1. Uninvited Writer profile image77
      Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I love wasabi...it takes your breath away at first and goes right up your nose and makes your eyes water but I love it smile

Oh I love Wasabi too,bring it on anyday I say, it is great for stage performances too. Keep a little on the side, great for those crying scenes.

18. love my yorkies profile image61
    love my yorkiesposted 15 years ago

love sushi and warm sake
    california rolls are good
    spicy tuna - yum

19. love my yorkies profile image61
    love my yorkiesposted 15 years ago

wasabi kinda gets ya like that don't it, but i love it too

20. mwaky profile image60
    mwakyposted 15 years ago

neva eaten sushi before i should try it

21. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 15 years ago

You really should!

Ruff Rufffff I agree Sushi, my favorite is Dog sausage Sushi just kidding. smile smile smile smile

2. mwaky profile image60
      mwakyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I know

22. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 15 years ago

I never had sushi before my older brother introduced it to me. Now I love it. I love the eel, shrimp, tuna...yea I like it all lol. and yep have to agree with Uninvited Writer...wasabi really is good and knows how to clean the sinuses lol

23. profile image50
    Angelaperezposted 15 years ago

I always swore I would never eat sushi.But, at 42 I moved to Cali and went to work at a resort. I was in the middle of a divorce and kinda feeling like I was starting my life over.It became a time for redifining me.

The of idea of eating sushi seemed exotic and a good  beginning for a new definition of me.The new, exciting,culturally awake me.

And, since most of my friends ate sushi I decided to try it. And this was quite a challenge.My first time was in Reno,NV.It was a mixed plate and I loved everything.

But,I din't know what wasabi was and assuming it was eaten with the rolls, I tried some.Or a lot.

I ate all the ginger I had and drank a bottle of water.When the pain finally began to subside after drying my          tears I  took up my chop sticks and finished the rolls.No more wasabi ,well, that day anyhow.

I could not believe I had denied my taste buds this fantastic experience for so long.Having tried very little that I didn't love.

I do have favorites,spicy tuna,raw eel,yellow fin,raw salmon,spider rolls,cali rolls,mmmm cucumber and avocado.Not to mention ginger,chili paste,and now that I know how to eat wasabi... a little at time and diluted.
      If it is sushi I love it.

What a nice little story... You should turn this into a hub. It just needs a bit of expanding and what-not, but it could be a very interesting food-filled hub, indeed!

I, by the way, am a bit addicted to sushi. I love every kind EXCEPT for uni. Ewww, uni...
      Thank goodness I live in a city that is just filled with sooo many excellent sushi restaurants.

2. emievil profile image64
      emievilposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That was my experience too. It put me off wasabi for a while until I learned how to properly eat it. You should try peanuts with wasabi coating. Now that's a food that will really clear the sinuses smile.

24. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 15 years ago

Great thanks people now I'm hungry for sushi lol

I swear, this thread is going to start making my stomach growl... It's time for me to sign off and get some sleep! I already had a late dinner, I don't need another! :p

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LMAO I'm with you Chris. I need sleep too...it's almost 11:30pm should have been in bed an hour ago lol

2. Gennifer profile image53
        Genniferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

After that discussion I have a strong desire to eat at least anything, but better sushi. I left to kitchen wink

25. Gennifer profile image53
    Genniferposted 15 years ago

And about women doing sushi...

You know our sushi were great. Maybe I liked them because I did them on my own (but with the help of experienced friend) and maybe because I enjoyed the process very much and wasn't very interested in the result. LOL   

It was very cheerful!

26. Drew Breezzy profile image62
    Drew Breezzyposted 15 years ago

I like California rolls that is the only sushi I have ever had. I just recently tried it.

27. nikki1 profile image59
    nikki1posted 15 years ago

Frinz.. ;-)
    Raw seafood doesn't do anything for me, unfortunately. Mine has to be baked or bowled. Before I can eat it.. stuffed crab cakes, bowled shrimp..
    hugs to all..

28. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image60
    I*n*v*i*c*t*u*sposted 15 years ago

I soooooo miss sushi! Living in a way different world now
    My favs are.

Tuna belly
    Sashimi
    Salmon
    Rock n roll (Roll)
    Spicy tuna (ROLL)
    soft shell crab (ROLL)
    Eel (Roll)
    seaweed salad
    octopus salad
    mi so soup
    Philadelphia (Roll)
    ***Lots of sacki and Samporo beer** hmmmm.

ps. the above was a good start...Ahhhh.... smile

29. profile image49
    HayHaywoodposted 15 years ago

Hey! It's how close to perfection we as Humans are allowed.
    silly girl!
    Haywood

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)