jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Do you read the labels on food products before you buy them?

1. onceuponatime66 profile image59
    onceuponatime66posted 7 years ago

Do you read the labels on food products before you buy them?

2. joanecollins profile image49
    joanecollinsposted 7 years ago

Yes, in fact I do read them. Because I have kids, I make sure the foods I buy don't have transfat and I also look for low sugar and salt content.

3. Surf Echo profile image57
    Surf Echoposted 7 years ago

I almost always read product labels. I give various degrees of scrutiny depending upon what it is. Basically, first I scan to see if there are more chemical componds then food ingredients. This is especially true when it is a snack food my kids have thrust into my hands or shopping cart.  For myself I usually check the fat and sodium levels because I have been shocked on more than one occasion to find loads of hidden fat and sodium in food I assumed were very healthy. I do not go overboard but I do try to be aware of what is going into my mouth and the mouths of my kids. The only way to know it to look.

4. glutathionetips profile image61
    glutathionetipsposted 7 years ago

I am probably the opposite of the other two hubbers. Probably because of my age I would have to say i rarely read the labels. Even though I worked in the organic section at the grocery store for 2.5 years before I became self employed I would have to say no even though I probably should.

5. RocketCityWriter profile image80
    RocketCityWriterposted 7 years ago

Yep, pretty much every time when it's something I've never had before. Typically, I don't stray away from stuff that I've found in the past, but that can get a little boring. When not organic, I look for the minimal amount of ingredients in combination with a low number of multisyllabic chemical compounds, preferably none. If the product includes the main ingredient and only a couple other natural ingredients it's good in my book. I typically don't read nutrition facts on the foods I buy except for maybe checking the sodium level because food is sold so salty in the states. Remember, you get out what you put in!

6. FloBe profile image82
    FloBeposted 7 years ago

Most of the time I do read labels, even in junk food! If I find a junk food that is a healthier choice I won't feel so bad buying it now and then. I definitely read the label on those products we use daily--if I don't understand the ingredients I try not to buy the product. I want to know what is going into our body. And, I also have an allergy to onions so I have to make sure it is not one of the ingredients.

7. Multiflavour profile image59
    Multiflavourposted 7 years ago

yes I read labels for products that are new to me. I don't look much at the nutritional value but I pay attention to the provenience, if it is written something about the way product was grown (i.e organic) and the ingredients.

I generally don't look at it for products I usually buy and are familiar to me.

8. joleenruffin profile image56
    joleenruffinposted 7 years ago

definitely. I check for certain ingredients and look at calories, carb, protein and fat grams.

9. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 7 years ago

No it's always in small print and a waste of time to read. I eat what I like when I like and as much as I like and I don't worry.

10. Brupie profile image70
    Brupieposted 7 years ago

I read most labels, but usually not for nutritional reasons.  I just want to know the ingredients.  I do a lot of reverse engineering in the kitchen and if say a TV dinner looks vaguely appealing, I look at what the manufactured version contains, then try to find a similar recipe and wing it.

11. dragonlady1967 profile image85
    dragonlady1967posted 7 years ago

Bad me....but no I don't any longer.  I guess because the chronic illness I have, it really doesn't matter what I eat. Diet changes won't help at all.  People don't realize how great they have it when they can eat anything.  I am not so lucky. So label reading doesn't really help.

12. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 7 years ago

Yes, I do........for many years now.............

13. lindacee profile image95
    lindaceeposted 7 years ago

Yes, I do read the labels for nutritional information. It's amazing how unhealthy some food products are -- even the ones labeled "light" or "low fat". It is always good to check the calories, fat and sodium content on all food products -- even the ones marketed as healthy.