jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do you keep chicken from drying out when baking or grilling?

1. CWanamaker profile image96
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

How do you keep chicken from drying out when baking or grilling?

2. Just Ask Susan profile image88
    Just Ask Susanposted 5 years ago

Don't overcook the chicken and baste it frequently while it's cooking..

3. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

As Susan says, frequent basting is one way. Another is to stuff things inside the bird that steam liquid into it, e.g. lemon. A third is to start it hot enough to sear, then cook it long and slow to finish. A fourth is to brine it ahead of time.

4. glorgeousmom profile image81
    glorgeousmomposted 5 years ago

After baking or grilling your chicken, cover it with tin foil and let it rest and cool for awhile before slicing and just like Just Ask Susan said, do not overcook.

5. LaThing profile image73
    LaThingposted 5 years ago

I would sometime cook mine covered, then at the last 30 min. uncover and let it get brown. If there is excess juice I would either make gravy with it, or dump it out.

6. Efficient Admin profile image91
    Efficient Adminposted 5 years ago

If I bake chicken without a coating, I cover the dish with foil, take a fork and punch a few holes in the foil so steam can escape.  With my oven 350 degrees for 15 minutes for white meat and 40-45 minutes for dark meat works well.

If I use a coating to make them crunchy (i.e. bread crumbs, or flour with salt and pepper), I saute them with a bit of olive oil until a crunchy coating forms (usually 3-4 minutes each side), then put them into the oven uncovered on a cookie sheet and bake.  White meat dries out much faster than dark meat.

7. moonfairy profile image82
    moonfairyposted 5 years ago

You can try brining it first...it comes out amazingly moist when you brine.