jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)

Why Don't More Diabetics Control The Disease with Improved Diet & Exercise?

1. Paul Kemp profile image73
    Paul Kempposted 5 years ago

Why Don't More Diabetics Control The Disease with Improved Diet & Exercise?

The U.S. Center for Disease control and other public health agencies openly admit that "lifestyle changes" are almost twice as effective compared to Metformin, a commonly prescribed medication used to slow the onset of diabetes and milder cases of the disease. Do many diabetics know this? Do they find it too difficult to lose weight? Or are they just apathetic and/or lazy?

2. stclairjack profile image83
    stclairjackposted 5 years ago

short answer... americans are spineless creatures of desire that care little for responsability, even to thier own demise.

longer answer,... americans are trained by a marketing industry to crave sugar,... its like a legal and moraly acceptable cocain,... instant gratification is the american fix,.. and it most often and easily comes in the form of sugar.

the new product being foisted onto the american plate is the pharmacutical industry,... we are now being trained like the shopping sheep that we are to request all the right drugs from our doctors so that we might not have to give up our sugar habit,.... thereby achieving a new habit.

isnt capitalism great?

Paul Kempposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I believe you are, for the most part, correct. But some of us have overcome the genetic and cultural cues and have managed to avoid diabetes, myself among them. I am deciding if it would be worth my time to put up a Web site about how I did it.

3. bankscottage profile image95
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

stclairjack is correct.  Exercise and healthy eating take discipline and hard work.  Something we don't want to do.  'Why should I change if I can just take a pill (that I can forget to take)?'  The extension of that is I'll take a ton of pills, just don't give me shots (insulin).
    Diet and exercise could improve, control, and possibly eliminate several diseases for many people.  But, it takes will power and our culture doesn't always value that and marketing doesn't encourage it.  We have far more places and things to eat that are not good for you than those that are good for you.
    'Metabolic Syndrome is a group of risk factors that put you at risk for stroke, coronary artery disease, and diabetes (type II).  It is often associated with hypertension.  Researchers aren't sure if the syndrome is due to one single cause, but all of the risks for the syndrome are related to obesity.'  Seems to me there is one cause, obesity.  More polite to say "metabolic syndrome" than 'your weight is the problem and you need to decrease it'.

Thanks for your comment, bankscottage. You're right that everything about our U.S. culture is against this NOW, but this may be forced to change by the cost of care bankrupting Medicare/Aid. What then? Massive die-off, suicides? Grim!

2. bankscottage profile image95
      bankscottageposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Throughout the discussions regarding healthcare costs and healthcare reform, one thing rarely, if ever, enters in to the discussion.  The patient and personal responsibility is almost never discussed or even acknowledge.

3. Paul Kemp profile image73

Re: Banks Cottage second comment. I agree. It has become very profitable for the processed food and medical industries to methodically remove any moral or religious sanctions against making society foot the cost of irresponsible individual choices.

4. StandingJaguar profile image77
    StandingJaguarposted 5 years ago

With such a question you also have to look at how most people get diabetes in the first place... through a lack of exercise and a poor diet! If they didn't care (or know) enough to prevent diabetes, its a stretch asking them to suddenly care (or know) enough to treat it in the same way.

Also, I think it is difficult for people to acknowledge that everything they knew as a kid is wrong. This food and this lifestyle have been around long enough now that they don't know anything else. To a lot of people, it's not junk food, it's just food.

That's a very strong point, Standing Jaguar. I am envisioning a more educated, CEO-type who knows he/she needs to change and is willing to pay for that advice and encouragement. I don't expect to talk Joe Schmoe into going vegan. Is niche big enough?

5. xanzacow profile image70
    xanzacowposted 5 years ago

Some do, they change their eating habits, check their glucose regularly, and take their prescribe medications. They exercise regularly and drink adequate amounts of water. Others are stuck with the personal fable that they acquired as a teenager ie. "It will never happen to me". They do not believe their consistently high blood sugar will cause their retinas to be destroyed causing their blindness. They do not believe their kidneys will shut down and they will have to be on dialysis until they die. They do not believe they will have to have a limb or two chopped of because of the neuropathy and non-healing wounds due to the damage done to their circulatory system. I see this every day in my line of work. Some say, "I,ve gotta die somehow."  It is truely sad. I think a web page would be would be a wonderful way to share your success story, but one has to make up their own mind to change their health habits.

Thanks, xanzacow, for your encouraging comment. I don't expect to convert all the diabetics who I reach to mend their ways. Of all those searching for info, I only expect to reach the few who are ready and willing to act. A few successes are enough.

2. xanzacow profile image70
      xanzacowposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes Paul. One life improved would make it all worthwhile. Good luck.

6. nicediabetes profile image80
    nicediabetesposted 5 years ago

As a Type 1 Diabetic , Id like to ask you to do some research
    There is no such thing as  a mild form of diabetes and whilst diet and exercise can be used to help manage some elements diabetes, its not the only determination.

Sorry to speak imprecisely. When I said "mild form of diabetes", I should have said pre-diabetes. Since most of those with diabetes have Type 2, I should have qualified my Hub by pointing out that I was referring to the most common form. My apologies

7. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 5 years ago

They are no different than any other American, other than their illness. Why would someone eat and drink healthy foods and walk 2 miles when they can take a shot and sit in front of the T.V. and eat Doritos? Smokers keep smoking after emphysema diagnosis. Drinkers keep on drinking after learning of sclerosis of the liver. If a person enjoys their lifestyle enough, they will certainly find a way to NOT do the right thing. Sacrifice or inconvenience would be out uf the question.

IDONO: I am sure that, for many people, what you say is true. There is another group who ARE willing to do what it takes because they have some inkling of the pleasures they will miss out on by not achieving their best. These I want to reach.

2. IDONO profile image81
      IDONOposted 5 years agoin reply to this

PAUL: I'm a recovering alcoholic and the people that I truly want to help are those willing to help themselves and have a true desire to do so. If not, we are wasting our time. In our own way, we carry a message to those who need it and want it. GB