Dow Dives 350+ Points in One Day--Thoughts?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

I know that the longer I go on saying we are doomed, the less credible my opinion is, on account of we're all still here and everything, but seriously, does anyone else think we're doomed? I think we're doomed.

Yesterday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average tanked 350 points on oil hitting $140. This morning so far oil is at $142. The housing market is worse than ever. Stock fans are being advised to dump their Citigroup and GM stock, and Chrysler came out and said there's no truth to the rumors that they are pursuing bankruptcy proceedings, which, usually when a huge corporation denies a rumor like that it means they ARE pursuing bankruptcy proceedings. Ford stock is at its lowest since 1955.

I just can't help but feel like this is all not so good.

Plus I got in trouble at the call center I work for yesterday, not for failing to properly identify a caller (which, if we get caught three times at this we are fired) but for not LOOKING at the properly identified item--which counted the same as not identifying. I take over 100 calls a day so I'm amazed I'm still there, but I knew I had one of these already and this was 2---so I was really happy, since at 3 I get fired and a month later I can collect unemployment for 6 months.

Guess what?

They lost the first one!!!!!!!

What does a person have to do to get canned there? Geez!  My supervisor kept saying to me, I don't want you thinking that you are constantly in danger of being fired here, it's not like that. I said, yes really it is like that, but I promise not to hold you personally responsible. People are like, constantly canned there. They hire a fresh 25 people every couple of months.

On a smaller scale, I'm backing into vegetarianism because meat costs so much. yikes

1. guidebaba profile image57
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This is Good. Veg is good for health.

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You're right of course. Veggies are so much easier to digest too. I definitely feel better.

2. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

Stock Market is crazy, really I think we are in store for another depression.

1. profile image0

I think so too--it's already getting pretty hard on ordinary people, especially older people who live on fixed incomes. They pay their utilities and that's it, nothing left for groceries.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

Don't you know the bad US economy is only a manifestation of the liberal media? wink

1. profile image0

LOL! I forgot! lol

4. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

from the perspective that we create our own reality...half of my clients work in the stock market and as brokers. They say change is a way of life; are you going to believe small groups that say things are a certain way and headed a certain direction, or go with the majority that keep moving forward with change?

consider what we are coming upon with a new president in the chute. Do you want it to stay the same or change? Change can't happen without change, big change and upheaval...it is needed.

But the majority need to maintain a positive forward drive for positive change and not get defeatest or negative in any way or everything will collapse.

I'm not going to eat any less or downsize any more...already done that big_smile

1. profile image0

Um, I WANT not everything, but lots of things, to collapse. Because they 1) are losing money, 2) condone abusive practices towards employees and customers, and 3) are run by evil Overlords who have no souls. Also 4) I'm sick of working for huge corporations that don't even let me pee when I need to just for the crappy 'health' care and 5) I think the country would be better off without them anyway.

That said, I try to be as positive as I can, but there's a thin line between positive thinking and delusional thinking. I feel a responsibility to describe what is actually going on, in a truthful way, tell it like it is. smile

5. DJ Funktual profile image77
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

We've been doomed for so long that the Death of George Carlin may have been the turning point in an avalanche of acopalyptic circumstances and all hopes for sanity should be forsaken!!.    wink

1. profile image0

Yes, George Carlin, Molly Ivins...these are very dark signs indeed....

6. Chairman Matt profile image60
    Chairman Mattposted 15 years ago

A loss of 350 on a Friday looks like profit taking to me.

Something I'm wondering about after reading these posts is that it coincides with a $2 jump in oil prices.

I'll also agree about the vocal minority, since I know how easy it is to get a headline to be front page news. Just give PRweb a few hundred bucks and you're guaranteed pickup by Google News, Yahoo News. API, the blogosphere, you even get a podcast that can go viral on radio newscasts.

Ever since the housing credit bubble burst, Forbes has been recommending buy- go against "the crowd" and I have to agree, due to the 80/20 rule. Applying the 80/20 to the first results explains the Bell Curve shape of a population- 5% of a population controls the other 95%.

The only thing that makes sense to me is to make enough to stay ahead of all of the increases- which means no TV and minimal "news". If I were going to invest money in the stock market I'd be betting on electricity- coal, home generators, UPS, that sort of thing, as reliable 120 volt power is next on the out of control pricing list according to Forbes.

Cheer up, buddy- it's weekend!

1. profile image0

I think oil prices are jumping part because the dollar is declining. I have no idea what to do about the stock market--nothing,  I guess. I have this great matching program at work for my 401k but the thing is currently losing 8%, not earning, and I just rearranged it a month or so ago. Think I'm got it all divided up correctly, so I guess I'll just wait it out.

Already looks like today will be another roller coaster.

7. Mark Bennett profile image61
    Mark Bennettposted 15 years ago

This is not advice, but just the observation of someone who has been around the Sun a few more times than most.

Bonds. Check them out.

I have a Hub on the basics of bonds, but the real juice is when you use bonds to lower the risks of holding stocks in times like this.

8. Reealjrd profile image61
    Reealjrdposted 15 years ago

Well friends that rebound was when the market was on it sour. Now we cannot such rebound in it. We will have to wait for years to see it again rising.

9. Reealjrd profile image61
    Reealjrdposted 15 years ago

Stock market is really crazy and risky too. Share market if for people who are crazy and love to play with risks. I should say that it with no proper track or path.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)