I Am Doomed... 60 MPH Wind Gusts Predicted Tomorrow

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (73 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

I just wanted to thank all the Hubbers who have given me support all these years.

It was truly an enjoyable experience. However, in 36 hours, I shall be no more...

If I happen to sail by you tomorrow on my way out to sea, please wave.

1. cfin profile image66
      cfinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

On the Irish coast that would be a simple gust wink Some advice, leave the umbrella at home.  And yes those are stone walls that were blown over like a house of cards.
      http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0113/497518-weather/

2. ThompsonPen profile image66
      ThompsonPenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was just in North Wales over Christmas, and winds were reported to be up to 87mph! You'll be fine smile

3. snakeslane profile image80
      snakeslaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A  Song for you! Storms Never Last: http://youtu.be/HdvurY6Br2k

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We had some gusty winds like that the other day. I could swear I was being swept away to the Land of Oz.  Chain yourself down to something that will hold during the winds. If you do fly by, I will most certainly wave.

2. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

60mph winds are child's play. Get back to us when a 300mph tornado is heading your way, and maybe then you'll be doomed.

paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I call your tornado, and raise you an earthquake (California I am). big_smile

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
        Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It has to be at least a 7, though, in order to be worth claiming doom.

As for the winds, in my neighborhood, 40 mph turns everything into a shambles. At 60 mph, HubPages may have to do without my august presence for awhile due to power and internet outages.

1. Jason Marovich profile image88
            Jason Marovichposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No internet for a couple dozen hours?  You are doomed.

I know. I've updated my will and everything.

1. profile image0
                MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Too funny! Every time there is ever a weather incident approaching somewhere and the Weather Channel is doing coverage, they interview dozens of people, asking them how they are preparing, etc. The people ALWAYS respond by saying they are going to "hunker down" and "ride it out." They always seem to survive and thrive by doing so.

Soooo my advice to you, hunker down and ride it out! Good luck! smile

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
            Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Can we have your September presence, then?

lol

I'll see your tornado and wind gusts & raise you a Category Five hurricane. with numerous tornadoes in the eye & perimeter.  Oh yeah - and several feet of water in the house. 

But I'll still pray for you, because you're you.

I knew you would. big_smile

Hurricanes? Tornadoes? Floods? Armadillo speed bumps? I was thinking of asking if I could move in with you, but now I am conflicted.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

Don't forget the fires we had a few years ago.  Still, Austin is the best . . .

How's my namesake college doing these days? Are they still around?

I haven't checked for a while - but I'm sure they'd do better if you move to Texas. 

Hang in and brace yourself in the windstorm. What area should I check for weather updates?  LA?

Let's see if this works... http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph … tV0g-U82eV

And I'm happy to report that the number has been knocked down to 50.

Good - this is a case when the low bid is the best.

3. Ericdierker profile image45
        Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I call you and Our main east west corridor is shut down to trucks with 70+ gusts. We have an orderly 7 mile parking lot and goods rotting in trucks and our fire danger is at extreme --- and of course down here So Cal way we are waiting for firestorms and earthquakes.

No big deal.

A fellow Californian.

Here's what's next for us...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGCKSBGMgbw (1 minute)

4. agilitymach profile image94
        agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'll your earthquake and raise you with a quakenado!!!  We had a tornado AND an earthquake at the same time here.  Seriously.  We had no clue whether to go under ground for the tornado or what. 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p … =Quakenado

3. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 10 years ago

Hail all from the southern end of tornado alley!!

60 mph....get ready, hang on to your hat!!!!

Been great knowing you these past years, paradigmsearch!

In front of my sliding doors, I have this 1 ft by 6 ft layer of little blue and white rocks on my front porch. The rocks are the size of what you normally see covering the bottom of fish tanks. Unfortunately, a whole bunch of twigs, dirt, and other stuff are mixed in with them. What would really be neat is if the wind blows away all the twigs and dirt and stuff, but leaves all the little blue and white rocks.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

The wind may blow them through the glass on the sliding doors!

I left  instructions in the religion forums that the wind is only to blow parallel to the doors.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
        The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

We have 20-30 MPH winds with 40-50 gusts and ornado watches all summer, every summer - I am still here. Phew, I thank God. We also have severe T-storms and cloud-to-ground lightning with the storms all of the storms.

5. paradigmsearch profile image59

I wonder if I'll see any of the outdoor cats sailing by.

1. Nell Rose profile image90
      Nell Roseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can have our river instead, its now nearly up to Sainsburys, sailing past the Church at a 100 miles an hour and heading towards the charity shop that sells amazing wellington boots! I think we may just need them soon....yep, we have floods! lol!

I knew that was you in the white one!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY

1. Nell Rose profile image90

lol! yep it was nearly that bad!

6. HollieT profile image80
    HollieTposted 10 years ago

PDS, you are indestructible! smile

2014 will indeed decide that one way or the other. big_smile

1. HollieT profile image80
        HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You'll still be here, in 2015 talking about what the year will offer. wink

That's the plan. big_smile

7. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

Meanwhile in Australia, it's 42 degrees and climbing....bloody roasting hot day.

8. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

That's 108 degrees farenheit...

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good grief ! that is hot !!!!  I start to wilt when the temp reaches 80 degrees farenheit.

2. Nell Rose profile image90

I will swap your 108 degrees for our 10? please? lol!

1. Suzanne Day profile image94
        Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nup, sounds like The Gates have opened over on your side........though at 108 F, anyone without air con is slowly dying and certainly getting no sleep/peace.

9. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

60 mph? Is that all? sounds like a normal day in the flat part of Illinois wink

10. WD Curry lll profile image57
    WD Curry lllposted 10 years ago

Pleeeeze! Around here, we don't get worried until it looks like this.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRy-EtC4iH8V5T6FKrYmuV2R-Juk2TPewIvup_CKz6zFM5tJYI

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
      LongTimeMotherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If it looked like that over my house, I don't think 'worried' would be the right word. Nope. Definitely not the right word.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Really.

11. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

Another good reason for going off the grid, paradigmsearch. You could make a fortune charging mobile phones etc from your solar batteries ... or make a lot of new friends doing it for free. smile

12. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 10 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8651197_f248.jpg
    Gnarly!
    Sounds like a perfect opportunity to go PARA-sailing with me!

Long time, no hear! Then again, I don't hangout in the gnarly threads. lol

13. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 10 years ago

Alas, poor Para! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest...

14. paradigmsearch profile image59

Good morning, all. 6:30 AM here. Tonight is when NOAA predicts my life will end as I know it.

15. suzettenaples profile image87
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

Anchor yourself down.  60 mph wind gusts are nothing here in Ohio.  That's just a slight breeze.  Wait til you get to 100 mph or more, then you will have something to worry about.  It's all relative!

I've already caught and duct-taped one of the outdoor cats to the porch rail. Am looking for the others.

16. paradigmsearch profile image59

Uh-oh... It's started. It's even making noise already.

17. paradigmsearch profile image59

Unbelievable. The winds actually have blown away much of the dust and some of the twigs while still leaving the pretty little blue and white rocks.

1. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Now they are warning of 75 mph gusts. These winds are hot off the desert and carry red flag warnings for fire danger = We call them Santa Annas It was 36 degrees at my home this morning just before dawn and it is now 89 degrees. Our humidity is about 26% We have scientific term for this "Global Weirdness".

And here's our next adventure we can expect this summer...

"Death Dust"

"The plume rose to five thousand feet; dust blotted out the sun four counties away. Traffic on Highway 5, the state’s main artery, stopped. At a certain point, the anemometers failed; the U.S. Geological Survey estimated wind speeds as high as a hundred and ninety-two miles an hour. Windows on houses were sandblasted to paper thinness."

As for the Death Dust, it looks like L.A. County is getting ready to go into panic mode.

Update: Oops, forgot the link. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014 … ntPage=all

----------

Texas is starting to look better and better...

Took quite a while to read that lengthy article. Will take even longer for the implications to sink in.

I remember those from when I lived in San Diego.  Brutal heat and wind, and dangerous during fire season.

4:30 PM. Got a total lull going on here, but NOAA still mumbling about 50 mph.

18. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

Well you have about 10 hours to go.  Do you have high fire warnings  to go with your winds like we do here? 
    You come up with the best conversation pieces. Once again nice work.

1. Greekgeek profile image77
      Greekgeekposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There were not only high fire warnings today; one town had homes burned to the foundations in a few minutes.

The firefighters were there immediately and stopped it from spreading, but a 2 acre fire managed to completely wipe out four homes plus a car lot and some mobile homes. The flames just exploded.

Santa Ana winds are naaaasty.

Thankfully that one got knocked down before it had time to pick up any momentum, but we really, really, REALLY do not want any sparks or tossed cigarettes or bulldozers striking rocks right now. This is the kind of weather that could zorch one of the canyon communities very, very quickly. (See this first-hand photo-essay of the Laguna fire for a typical example -- no, that's not mine; I moved to the land of fire and earthquakes 3 years later.)

(I gather that PS and I must live within 100 miles of each other.)

1. tirelesstraveler profile image60
        tirelesstravelerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to California.   Gotta love Santa Ana winds.  In Northern California we just call it high winds or off shore winds.  Don't know why we can't have a fancy name too.

1. Greekgeek profile image77
          Greekgeekposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Santa Anas aren't offshore winds; they're what happens when the Mojave Desert turns on the hairdryer and starts blasting us from the interior.

As someone who moved here from the east coast, I find them surreal. They feel like autumn blustery winds that shake the leaves loose from the trees when the trees are turning colors, but instead of having a taste of winter / snow, they're hot and dry and taste like sage and desert.

Last month, they had a merry time disrupting traffic in my neighborhood with a tumbleweed stampede. I'd never seen tumbleweeds outside the desert before. smile

1. tirelesstraveler profile image60

LOL ,  Have a headache today and was thinking the wind was blowing from the land out to the ocean. I have lived all but three years of my mature life in California. I was thinking this was perfect fall weather myself. 
            Tumble weed in California, you might give easterners the idea we still have wilderness here.  My grandma came to California for the first time in 1963. She really had thought CA was rather wild until then.  She loved Disneyland.

19. Greekgeek profile image77
    Greekgeekposted 10 years ago

Oh, hey. Speaking of earthquakes, did that one wake you up, Paradigmsearch? smile

(1:35 AM, Fontana, 4.7 mag. Your typical Large-Dog-Jumped-On-the-Bed-But-I-Don't-Have-a-Dog shake and wobble.)

20. paradigmsearch profile image59

Well, sports fans. If there were any windstorms last night, I sure didn't hear 'em. Looked outside, place seemed intact. Also missed out on Greekgeek's earthquake. Paradigmsearch lives to plague HubPages another day... big_smile

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I guess you had good nights sleep! smile

2. tirelesstraveler profile image60

Yahoo! Alive and kicking.  If the kids hadn't been watching Good Will Hunting until 3am I would have had a good night sleep too. That is just too good a movie.

3. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I just wanted to let you know that, once again, your forum thread brought a smile to my old and tired face! I am glad you made it, and want to nominate you for the "Hubpages Forum Drama Queen" award. (If they do not have this award, I want to ask HP to come up with it!)

It is asking a bit much for us to remember nominations like this for the best part of a year but if you can remind me closer to the time, Dr Mark, I'll vote with you. smile

Maybe we need an ongoing forum thread with nominations we can refer back to. And links including one to this thread. lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)