How to deal with a neighbor in this case? Any advice?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (23 posts)
  1. ReuVera profile image81
    ReuVeraposted 13 years ago

I am a very peaceful person. I prefer to lose, but to avoid any war or argument. I am a very calm and easy to deal with neighbor. I never had any problems.
    My neighbors from the East had two big dogs which were attacking my dog on my property. To solve this problem I just put a dividing light chicken wire fence, which is allowed in our town. Now my neighbors were doing some yard work in their back yard and they took part of my fence off, without even asking me. I understand, the fence was on their way and I didn’t make an issue from this. I just expressed my hope to the lady neighbor that after they are done with their yard improvement project they would assemble my fence back.  She agreed that they would do this. Now their yard work is done and it is past a week already, but it doesn’t seem that they are going to fix my fence that they disassembled. I don’t think that it will help much if I ask them again. They are a type of arrogant and rude people with whom negotiation won’t really work.
    Any advice on what I can do without getting into arguments?

1. NathanSyckel profile image61
      NathanSyckelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Flip them the bird and put your fence back up. Make sure it's on your property line and if they take it down call the cops. Not sure that it will do anything but it will let them know that you mean business.

1. NathanSyckel profile image61
        NathanSyckelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And if that doesn't work...hire a dog assassin. tongue

ReuVeraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, the most aggressive dog was killed, it jumped off the running truck and got killed. Another dog is less intrusive. The point is about making my neighbors know their responsibility for their actions.

2. ReuVera profile image81

It is no problem to put the fence back by myself, it is more of making a point. If I swallow this and put the fence back myself, the neighbors will get an idea that they can wipe their feet on me.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Call animal control?

2. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

sleep with the wife.. that will get the man upset

and when you do, don't be very good in bed.. that will make his wife upset

Good advice.... the problem is that I am a Woman, haha. And for no sweets in the world I'll sleep with the man-neighbor, he is so yaki in his looks, that it will make anyone vomit.

3. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Let your dog do his business in their yard every time and they will soon put the fence back... failing that, you do your business in their yard until they put the fence back...

4. Origin profile image59
    Originposted 13 years ago

Can you install a thick fence? Like heavy wood, or brick? They do that again you can sue for damages. big_smile

5. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I think I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that, maybe, they've had a busy week and have plans to do it (maybe on the long Memorial Day weekend?).  I think I might ask her (without coming across as anything but "just wondering") if she were "still planning to do it" or "should I just put it up".  I'd go with something like, "Hi, Susie.  Either way, this isn't a big problem, but I was wondering....".  If I didn't get the feeling the fence was going up soon I'd just put it back myself.

I'm not second-guessing your assessment that they're rude and arrogant, but there's at least the chance they're not as rude and arrogant as they seem.  I'm from the East, and maybe people do tend to be more reserved and have an accent that sounds more arrogant than something "friendlier sounding", like a Southern accent.  Either way, I wouldn't automatically assume the fence issue has to turn into an argument if you don't assume it has to, and if you decide not to let it get it far by politely "exiting" if it seems to head in that direction.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Knowing RueVera a bit, I would bet she meant Middle East or even Asian. Or may be just a geographical position of the neighbors' house in relation to her own. smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wondered too about this.

I think Lisa said it best, just a friendly approach, asking about the fence. maybe comment on how nice their yard looks first. big_smile

2. ReuVera profile image81

"Or may be just a geographical position of the neighbors' house in relation to her own."

Misha, this guess was correct. Sorry, I didn't specify. Sometimes we think that if we know what we mean, then everyone should understand.
        My neighbors from the West (geographically in relation to my house) also have two dogs and their dogs and my dog exchange their waste products, fertilizing both yards. It's not a problem for me.
        As I say it is more of a courtesy issue. Also of fixing another's property that was broken on purpose.
        I tried "cookie" method already, talked to the lady, but the fence is still not on.
        It was the same pattern as a year ago, when their kids were four-wheeling through my gravel drive way in the fall, making a mess of it and then they came to apologize and said that their dad promised to fix it. I told to the kids that they may drive through my drive way (it was giving them more fun to four-wheel wider), but only if their dad was going to fix it in spring. As you may understand, my neighbor never bothered to fix it. Now may be they think if i didn't push it, they don't have to bother about me.
        This is what is not right. I am calm and quiet, but I will not give up here. I mean, I am not going to fix it myself (they broke it, not me).
        Or should I just put another cheek for a slap? LOL.

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Based on what you said, that's exactly what they think. You either have to follow up on both cases, or be prepared to swallow more of that stuff...

6. luvpassion profile image62
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

Many home owners have similar difficulties with neighbors... lisa's solution sounds good.
    A peace offering also could help, home baked cookies, a bottle of wine. Ask them over to discuss it rationally.

7. Origin profile image59
    Originposted 13 years ago

Take them to small claims court. I'm not sure how much that fence of yours happened to cost, but it may make a point to them that they can't do this to someone's property. Also, if you do go be sure to have pictures of before and after the damage. smile

8. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

yes, if they took it down and said they would put it back up, I would remind them. it was really rude of them not to ask you first.

9. ReuVera profile image81

Yep, I am afraid you are right, Misha. And I don't want to swallow more of this stuff. I'll wait couple of days more and act officially. As I found out, other people from the neighborhood called police on these guys before too for different reasons. I'll take them to small claims court, just to make a point. I hope nobody will blame me that my response to my neighbors' act was inadequate.

10. profile image0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 13 years ago

You are totally out of whack with reality.  Problem is not the fence.  Problem is the neighbors dogs.  No fence is needed.  If dog goes into your propertly immediately call police.  If dog attacks your dog call police.  Wow this is crazy.  Next dog is going to attack you or a kid on your propertly and your concerned about some stupid chicken fence.

11. alternate poet profile image68
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

I would suggest installing three carefully positioned automatic fast acting machine gun positions with laser trip firing. twenty or thirty anti personnel mines in a carefully devised pattern leaving a path that only you know - then put out yummy doggy stuff to tempt your neighbors dog over.  Or wait a while and if they don't put the fence back up do it yourself with a smile on your face.

12. ReuVera profile image81

Surprisingly, it resolved! My son came over and he went to talk to the neighbor (the male neighbor). "A man to a man talk" made it! The fence is back and the neighbor's dog is not happy. It runs barking in our direction and stops (breaks, like in cartoons, fun to watch) almost hitting the fence. Every time, after time. What a stupid dog, it even doesn't get used that there is a fence there, dah....

Thanks everyone for advices. Some of them were very constructive smile

13. JulesGerome profile image60
    JulesGeromeposted 13 years ago

Dogs always copy their masters. If they act stupid, the dog will do as well.LOL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)