Children born in America should not get citizenship

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (70 posts)
  1. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

Rand Paul, the Republican US senate candidate, has said he opposes citizenship for children born in the US to parents who are illegal immigrants.

1. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think they should be made to return to their parents country but retain dual citizenship until the age of twenty one.  If they decide to return to the US and claim their US citizenship they should be made to pass a citizenship test before entry.

2. NathanSyckel profile image60
      NathanSyckelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What happens to the parents in this situation? Are they allowed to stay? If so, sounds like the perfect way for them to stick around legally.

I am sorry. I did not make that clear.  Yes the parents should be made to return to their homeland regardless of their children being born in the US.  This would keep the parent with the child.

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's how it should be.
          They should go the route of becoming legal citizens the right way instead of using their kids as tools for entry.

I don't see what any of them are scared of unless their intentions are to do criminal activity.

I've been an American citizen for over 50 years,  and I have to show my driver's license and cater to the new rules of whether they'll even let me SMILE when my driver's photo is taken,

so by George I get tired of hearing immigrants whine about being asked for identification and riling up other States, even, against their fellow States like Arizona.

3. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rand Paul also said BP shouldn't be held too responsible for the oil spill. Rand Paul is not a champion against the big financial institutions like his dad is. He is an opportunist and a demogogue. 

Rand Paul, go away.

2. theirishobserver. profile image60

In Ireland if two people who are illegal here, have a child here, the possibility is that they all get to stay after a long court battle smile

That seems to be the way it is headed here as well.  It is funny how money (lawyer and court costs) dictates the viability of being allowed to stay.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

Everyone who wants to be a U.S. citizen should have to pass a test, regardless of the parents legal status.  That would pretty much spell the end of the GOP. Simply being born here (a totally random occurence) has no bearing on a person's ability to contribute to American society.

Those who do not pass the test should be quarantined in Alaska.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What kind of 'test' exactly? Academic? About the political system? Dunked into the water and burnt at the stake if they don't drown?

Not that its particularly relevant to me, I want to live in Spain, where you just need an EU passport....

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the dunking test is a good idea.  As Brenda will surely attest, God will intevene and save any potential citizen who is worthy of the term "American".

2. LaMamaLoli profile image59
        LaMamaLoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

are u kidding! wait till you get to spain, its not as easy as you'd think...

2. Arthur Fontes profile image75
      Arthur Fontesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then we could have a "No Citizen Left Behind Act"

Drill baby, drill.

1. TheSituation profile image63
          TheSituationposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ron, so true, all conservatives are idiots and liberals are all Mensa calibre huh?  I occasionally find you tolerable, but seriously, this is flat out ridiculous.    I agree that there are some nut-cases on the right, but you think the far left is not the same?    I will put my degree and IQ toe to toe with you any day buddy.

I accept your bold challenge.  My IQ will meet yours by the swings after school.

Lets do it....my dad is tougher than your dad  wink

I have two Mommies.  There was a movie about us on LOGO.

4. theirishobserver. profile image60

There is a lot of grey areas and it appears that these are exploited by people who may not have the nations best interest at heart

5. theirishobserver. profile image60

Would it be fair to say that if all foreigners were returned to their own country from American - the native Indians would be the only ones left - where did America draw the line about who is and who is not a foreigner smile and who is and who is not illegal smile Just asking smile

1. profile image0

Yes that would be fair.... in fact we would all end up in Africa eventually if every country followed that principle... That would be awful wouldn't it? Imagine all those simple minded rednecks descending on Ireland and England... I would have to cut myself into half and then one half into half again. Ireland would get a quarter of me, what part of my body would you like? Half of me would stay in England....

1. Ohma profile image61
        Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ryan! did you just imply that all Americans are simple minded rednecks! mad               lol lol lol

1. profile image0

Of course not! lol

But many of them are tongue

1. Ohma profile image61

Well I repres..... er um Resent that remark! mad

1. profile image0

Well we all have them wink

1. Ohma profile image61

Yes. Yours just speak proper English. big_smile

2. Rafini profile image83
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, at least a small portion of me would be able to stay here in America then...lol

6. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Children born to illegal immigrants while in the US should be treated the same as a child born to a foreigner who is visiting another country. (a comprehensive look at different laws throughout the world before determining what ours would say)  Does this mean: Dual citizenship?  Apply for citizenship?  Entitled to citizenship?  No citizenship?  Its up to the parents?  Its up to the country of birth?  Its up to the country of residence? 

What does Mexico say about children born to their legal citizens while in a foreign country?  Are they dual citizens or not citizens at all?  Does Mexico take any responsibility for these children?

I'm all for the Arizona law, but I'm against leaving these innocent children without a homeland.

1. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They wouldn't be left without a homeland. They would have the citizenship of whatever their parents were.

7. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

The American Indians are also not native to this country. They migrated here from Asia for the most part.

8. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

My baby was automatically an American citizen because her daddy is a US citizen white American and my baby was born here in the US, and I was not an American citizen then when she was born.

my friend in australia married an australian citizen and her baby was born in Australia, she has to wait for four years till she became a Aus citizen before the baby became an Aus citizen, I think it is the same in UK..

Another friend who wasn't an American citizen married an American citizen, she gave birth to their baby in the Philipines, automatically the baby is American citizen as the dad is American citizen

It is complicated, the rules on citizenship here in the US is more lax comparing to UK or AUS

Citizenship bear the rights and privileges of a citizen and that is very important,

Affinity is also important, my baby's physical characteristics is more white than Asian, but I try to teach her the values of two different cultures. Of course English is her primary language as that what is spoken here, but not trying to confuse her, I don't speak with her in Filipino, at times only.

How inappropriate would be for her to wait until she is 18 before she can have privileges of a citizen.

I think that it has all gotten confused.

I think your baby should be a US Citizen because one of her parents hold US citizenship and she was born in the US.  You of course would have to apply for citizenship as you were born in the Phillipines and immigrated here.

The part I have a problem is with both parents who enter the US illegally and have a child here and expect the child to have automatic citizenship.  The child while being raised by the illegal parents should stay with the illegal parents as they are deported to their original country.  The child should hold the rights of dual citizenship until the age of twenty one or become a US citizen if and when their parents became legal US citizens.  If the parents did not become legal US citizens then the child will have the choice of becoming a US citizen at the age of twenty one and passes the citizenship test conducted by the US Government.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is fair enough, Thanks,

2. adrienne2 profile image66
        adrienne2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with @rhamson it has all gotten confusing.  I thought I was firm on my position with this issue before I began reading everyone else's position.  In short if a child is born in the US they should be citizens of the US regardless of the parents being here illegal.  To me there really is not a simple solution.

9. theirishobserver. profile image60

Ohma I never knew that about Indians - how did they travel to America - and what period - serious question smile

1. Ohma profile image61
      1. Rafini profile image83

kewl!

2. Rafini profile image83

The Indians traveled to America by foot a long, long time ago and were not considered Indians.  (when Russia and Alaska were connected by a land bridge)

(sorry Ohma, I got here first) smile

10. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Children born in America should not get citizenship.

I find this filled with ambiguity, first off. A child's citizenship should be based on the citizenship of the family it is born to in the first place.

Providing the family has citizenship, then the child does. If the parents do not, then the child does not.

How difficult is that? hmm

There is a wealth of legal battles that could ensue for the courts to figure out if that was the case.

What if one or both of the parents were not US citizens and serving in the US military to gain US citizenship? 

What if at child were born overseas at the time of the parents being granted US citizenship?

What about the child being adopted by US parents from a foreign country?

There are a myriad of loopholes that a good lawyer could apply and tie the courts up for years.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In your opinion. wink
        Well, I would certainly hope that ALL military personnel are U.S. citizens to begin with. Otherwise, they should not be serving in AMERICA's Military. I would have thought that was obvious, even for lawyers. wink
        I guess that would depend on the time and specific of each situation, now wouldn't it. hmm
        What about it? That's adoption. Nice to see you know how to get off topic of being born here. DUH!
        If that was the best you can do, I think you need to review or change your perspective. wink

In fact a lot of immigrants are granted status if they join the US armed services and are granted citizenship if they complete it.

Sorry that you have taken such a defensive tone and that maybe you wouldn't have such attitude if you knew a little more about the subject.

But, alas that seems to be your M.O.

Have a nice day smile

1. Cagsil profile image71
            Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Talk about having more information on the subject. Apparently, your vision is just as screwed up as everyone else. It purposely shows the ignorance many have.

I know I'm ignorant in certain things, but not like you. wink

You have a nice day too. tongue

11. theirishobserver. profile image60

rafini - many thanks I really must read up on this as it is very interesting - I only watched the movies - John Wayne etc so apologies to all you native Americans where ever you come from smile

12. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Isn't there a nickname for mexicans because their women cross the river just before they give birth to get their family in to America?

I think the children born in America thing is a bit of a cop out to be honest, my immigration is costing close to three grand, seems a bit unfair!

yeah, that's the whole point (for me and I hope, most Americans)- Immigration Hypocrisy.

13. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

Germany is one country that changed that long ago, isn't it? My aunt and uncle had children in Germany - my aunt is American, my uncle is Italian, the two kids were born in Germany. They had to wait until age 18 to choose which of three citizenships they wanted. No one considered Germany, it was a circumstance and had nothing to do with who they are. They both chose American citizenship but they were choosing between American and Italian. And now I believe, Germany wouldn't be a choice.

14. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

Most people don't know that the "child born in the US is a citzen" law was enacted after the Civil War. It was to give the emancipated slaves the right of citizenship, since it was impossibly impractical to send several generations of freed slaves back to Africa.

15. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

Aaah, makes sense now, thanks for that info. So it's no longer necessary, nor is it beneficial to the country.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would agree.

16. flread45 profile image58
    flread45posted 13 years ago

Send them back to their country.

17. Strophios profile image60
    Strophiosposted 13 years ago

I really don't understand all this debate here, it seems pretty simple to me: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside." That would be the 14th Amendment, which is in fact part of the United States' Constitution. It would seem to pretty much put paid to the idea of doing anything else. Unless you want to concede that the Constitution is a flawed document (which is actually fine by me, but most people on the conservative side of the immigration debate are a bit uncomfortable with that).

The 14 Amendment is just that - an Amendment to the original Constitution and can be repealed.

The chances of getting an amendment changed are REALLY small, but  strophios hit the nail on the head, this is a settled issue and I doubt anyone has the stones to suggest we change the Constitution.  Though I am generally for strong immigration enforcement, if a child is born here they are a citizen, simple as that.

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

So are you saying the writers of the 14th amendment couldn't possibly have made a mistake? 

Prohibition was also an amendment you know, and repealed because it was an obvious mistake....?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
            Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The 14th amendment was right and necessary for the time it was written,(150 years ago) because it gave citizenship to the recently-emancipated slaves that had been born in this country. That was the purpose and intention of the law.

Yeah, I saw your other post. smile 

I agree it was right and necessary for the time it was written, but I do feel changes need to be made since it does not specifically reference illegal immigrants.

Of course there have been mistakes, prohibition was a mistake in the way it was implemented (i.e. there was no need to try and restrict alcohol use/sale with a constitutional change.)  HOWEVER, I also believe that we should not go around changing our Constitution because of what we think the intent was....and yes, I consider the amendments as part of the Constitution.  Time and again the forefathers (and I will count Lincoln as one of them) have proven that they had amazing forethought.

I am about as strong on immigration as anyone here, but I do not think there is a compelling reason to change our definition of who is a citizen, such a small number of people are affected by this that it seems more like a political statement than anything else.

Okay, so an amendment to the constitution, which was written and ratified prior to the creation of the first immigration laws but has an undesired affect on such laws, doesn't deserve a second look?

I think it does.

I just think this is not anywhere near important enough to be concerned with.  What are we talking about, a few thousand, maybe 10k a year?  That is NOTHING!  Getting sidetracked on things like this will be the death of the resurgence of the right in this country!

18. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

I agree. Offhand, I don't know if any other countries have this provision for citizenship-- just being born in the country.

19. TMMason profile image62
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

I agree, no citizen-ship for the children of illegals.

I disagree with this.  As much as I am against illegal immigration, if the child is born on US soil, then they are a citizen, that is not up for debate without repealing the 14th Amendment, and I do not see even Paul saying we should do that.

1. TMMason profile image62
        TMMasonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't think it would ever happen either.

But there has to be something done... some restrictions on it.

Too many people cross the border to have a baby then cry they can't be sperated from the baby. It cannot be allowed.

I agree with this.  We need to not get caght up in these little asides, it distracts from the main issues.

#1 Secure the border.  NOBODY gets through without the right paperwork.  There are tens of thousands of solderiers withing 100 miles of the border (Camp Pendleton 1St marine Div., 29 Palms,  Ft. Hood etc.) guarding dirt....let them guard dirt that means some dirt that matters.  If you do not secure the border, the deporting, etc. does not matter as they just come back.

#2.  Crack down on employers and deport the criminals.

20. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

Living for 25 years in Spain, as a foreign resident, both my children were born in Spain, and both would qualify for citizenship, but ONLY after age 18 years, having proven that they had lived in Spain mainly during that time.

i.e. there are qualifications to be adhered to.

John

21. theirishobserver. profile image60

In Ireland I have seen people swear allegance to the Irish State as they are granted citizenship - clearly this cant happen with a child, so what do we do smile

22. theirishobserver. profile image60

Should citizenship be purely based on allegance to the nation smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)