Comments or No Comments

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image81
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

What are the potentially cons of not using a comment box?

I'm tired of answering the same questions over and over again. I'm tired of getting rude comments. I'm tired of dealing with it basically. I want to help people, but answering the same question over and over again or having to defend myself is not worth it anymore.

I just want to write.

What potential traffic changes or whatnot may I expect by removing all comment boxes? Will there be a drastic change since the pages won't appear to get updated each time there's a comment is posted?

I've considered it before, but I'm more considering it now.

1. blackreign2012 profile image60
      blackreign2012posted 13 years agoin reply to this

then just write.... I am sorry you have had such a time on hubpages. It really is a fantabulous community full of interesting ppl and amazing work. In every community there are a couple bad apples; I haven't ran to any yet. Now I am not sure what will happen if you get rid of the comment box. But if you are having so much trouble; it is an option. I would suggest leave the box and delete the comments you deem inappropriate. You don't have to answer every comment good or bad.

2. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 13 years ago

I,m sorry to hear you feel like that Whitney, I don't know why people would leave negative comments on your work, your a good writer. I can see how answering similar questions would get tiresome though. I have seen some hubs without a comments box, Iknow there not for everyone. Not sure if would effect your hubs or not in the long run? Congrats on another 100 btw. smile

3. MyWebs profile image78
    MyWebsposted 13 years ago

Pros- You wouldn't have the comments diluting your keyword density. I only mention this as some users believe keyword density to be important, I'm not one of these users. IMO keyword density is a minor factor at best.

Cons -If you were to exclude the comments capsule the hub would not be changing and thus not be seen as being as fresh to search engines. This could be countered with a RSS or News Capsule. In my opinion constantly changing fresh content is rather important if you wish to rank well.
    Your hubs will be less interactive for the reader and more web 1.0'ish. Todays users tend to prefer Web 2.0 type web pages.

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

On my busiest Q&A Hubs, I have a statement above the comment section that says any questions that are addressed in the body of the Hub or which have been answered many times in previous comments will be deleted.

I've tried to address the most-frequent comments in the text, and add new material from time to time as some newer and repeat question come up.

I've had people (other Hub users) leave negative comments about how I don't answer each and every comment left on my Hubs, but I just delete those too, as how I handle comments is clearly my prerogative. 

Looking at Hubs where I don't hardly get any comments, I don't think it would injure a Hub to not have a comment box.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

good advice. I can't imagine someone leaving negative comments because you don't comment on every post. there are time issues to consider also. I comment on my hubs, but not after every post. I think it looks cluttered to have every other comment the authors comment.

as for whitney, maybe just make sure they're moderated or leave them off certain hubs if you don't want to deal with it.

2. Whitney05 profile image81
      Whitney05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have answered most of the questions within the text. For example, I have how to treat and infected tattoo, and I JUST answered a comment that stated, what should I do for my infected tattoo.  People don't read anything. They seem to just skip to the comment box. I feel bad by not answering, but most of the time I waste my time because they don't come back or they don't listen.

I had one kid repeatedly come back and ask questions, then would tell me after each time I answered the same question that it didn't matter what I said because she was going to do it anyway. She continued to ask questions and would follow with "I'm going to do it anyway, I just thought I'd ask."

I do use my comments sometimes to get hub ideas, which is why I like them, as well as the seo benefits of an updated site. It's the repetition, attitude, and negativity.

Thanks for following.

Unfortunately, I do get quite irritated, and in a lot of cases that will show in my comments. When I'm answering the same question over and over again, or when I've answered the question in the hub and in previous comments. Then I get called a B**** for saying "pleases reread the article and comments above" or for deleting the comment when it's already been answered 50 times.

I've found that when I'm asked, "hey I'm a newbie, but my dog is purebred and pretty. How can I go about breeding her? And how many times can I do so?" I get quite irritated. When the hub is about SPAYING YOUR FEMALE DOG, don't ask me about breeding.

5. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

Whitney, I totally understand your feelings on this point as it is difficult enough to answer the authentic comments and questions, let alone the spam comments that appear.

Personally, I have a policy of deleting all comments with links unless they add to my article, and have on occasion deleted a comment section.  I think you have to judge whether it is a plus or minus on your hub to have the comments section.

I do not answer every comment left unless it is something that is a genuine question that I can answer.  Negative comments can add to a discussion if they are productive, but if they are just negative, who needs them?

6. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

There are both pro's and con's from an SEO perspective.  However it sounds like removing the comment boxes would give you much more of a personal benefit then the downsides of any SEO.

7. Alison Graham profile image93
    Alison Grahamposted 13 years ago

As a new Hubber, I have found that I have really benefited from visiting the profiles of Hubbers who have been kind enough to comment on my hubs.  If they had not done so, I would perhaps not have found their hubs and I would have been the poorer.  I have met some great Hubbers and read some really interesting, helpful hubs and am now following some of them as a 'fan'.  So for these reasons, I would not post a hub without a comment box at present.

8. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

I follow Whitney and have been watching the feed alot lately..so i often see her comments when they are posted.

I think I would go mad..if I had to respond to many of them!

"Last Month, I pierced my eyebrow with a rusty nail, now its leaking weird green goo, I dont really need to go to the doctor do I"

or

"Can I mate my tiger gecko with my jack russel...how do I go about this?"

Im exaggerating of course, but Whitney shows a lot more tact and patience with her commenters than i could.

So on a serious note - since you seem to often times really be helping people, I think Relaches advice is best.

Make a FAQ capsule for your hubs that get lots of dupe questions - set your comments "to need approval" and only accept the worthwhile comments

from a seo/income perspective - My very best earners often never have comment capsules - when you have very niche topics (which Relache and Whitney often do) its not likley the exclusion of comments is going to hurt you - adding a news feed instead couldnt hurt though.

9. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I honestly don't think it matters if you have a comment capsule or not regarding SEO or money-making capabilities. At one point I got so sick of the types of comments I was moderating, I deleted many comment boxes. But then I had to shutdown my email access, because they just started emailing me which was even more irritating.

Then a few idiots posted questions and even started forum topics to get me to respond. So ultimately I just leave in a moderated comment box and ignore what I want to.

I also found that when I went to a less-friendly avatar alot of this nonsense stopped. Go figure.

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is that why you never respoonded to my email? tongue

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"I also found that when I went to a less-friendly avatar alot of this nonsense stopped. Go figure."

I wonder if that would work for me?

10. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I'm under the impression some of my better performing Hubs wouldn't be earning what they are if it weren't for a lot of the comments.  I get the occasional comment I don't feel like dealing with, but for the effort I put in dealing with comments, the earnings are really good.

I have at least one Hub that I wrote and left the comment box out of, just because it involves religion and I wasn't interested in what anyone else had to say about the matter  lol - but, in general, I pretty much think I have comments to thank for a lot of my earnings.  My Hubs are pretty uneven when it comes to comments, though, with a fairly low number getting enough comments to take up much of my time and a large number only getting the occasional comment here or there.  I can see how it could turn demanding if they all got the same number of comments the better performers do.  hmm

11. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 13 years ago

I think it depends on the type of topic. I have heaps of commercial hubs (under another username) with no comment capsule at all, and I'm happy with that. It works for the subject matter. On this username I only have a couple without comment capsules. Most of the hubs, though, do and because they are on a variety of topics that lend themselves to comments, I'm happy to leave them there.

12. profile image0
    PJ_Deneenposted 13 years ago

I've never liked the comment or follow aspects here.  It makes it feel like MySpace, and like you, I just want to write.  Some people seem to treat articles like blog posts even when I clearly haven't written them that way.  I'm ready to just drop the comment boxes all together.

13. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

I must have my comment box, it's just too fun to joke about.  Truly  big_smile  They're like little forums.

14. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 13 years ago

My most viewed hub no longer has a comment capsule. It became obvious that people were scrolling straight to the comment section to ask questions that I had covered in detail in the hub. Once it hit 600 comments, most of which were almost identical, I pulled the capsule. I felt like a jerk for doing it, but who has the time or energy to answer the same question 20 or 30 times a day?

Now they just hit the contact rmr button and send an email, so I haven't completely escaped the problem. I think a lot of people are just too lazy to read when they can just type out a quick question.

15. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

All people here have GOOD reasons for what they do, or don't do. I don't think any should be judged for it. None of us know what another's life is really all about.
    Proceed. Don't judge. Do it, or don't based on your own reasons or non-reasons. I am not offended if someone does not answer my comment.

16. redwards54 profile image59
    redwards54posted 13 years ago

Personally I feel as if the comment box is  like handing a complete stranger a blank check that you have signed. It doesn't matter what you write, how you write or how often you answer the same questions there is always going to be someone that just has to find a way to be negative about you and your work. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you keep the comment box just be prepared for it. Don't allow yourself to take it personal although I realize that can be hard sometimes. Besides, obviously you enjoy writing so don't let some stranger ruin that for you.
    I know when I get a  ridiculous comment I just deny it and don't give it another thought.

17. CarpetDiem profile image71
    CarpetDiemposted 13 years ago

hey Whitney,
    Here's my two cents...
    Good comments are VERY USEFUL.
    Mediocre comments are a waste and can be harmful.
    Good comments add interesting content with related keywords, and increase the likelihood that someone searching for your hub will find it.
    But if the comment doesn't add useful content (and most don't) it is at best useless and at worst, as someone said above, dilutes your hub.
    So my suggestion would be to moderate your comments, and approve the ones that add to the discussion, and delete the ones that don't.
    Was this more than two cents worth? smile

1. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

With a million or more viewers, she probably has her hands full with comments. I would love to have that problem though. smile

18. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

I saw a brilliant hubber who didnt have a comments box at all... by her authorscore and hubscore, it didnt have a great impact.  Perhap put in a survey to generate activity for the google bots to work with... or a news feed.  Hope this helps!

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If your hubs are written well and organized correctly, you shouldn't have to resort to a survey or RSS feed to attract G. HubPages Central does alot of that already by having the related hubs, questions and forum stuff on the side.

19. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

my only advice is if you are getting more than 5 comments a day - be merciless, and don't stress!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)