I'm struggling - can someone explain in 'dummy' format for me please

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. lucieanne profile image68
    lucieanneposted 13 years ago

Hi. I've now published 2 hubs and I've noticed that at the side it says 'tags' with red crosses next to them, what are these? And I don't get the keywords thing either. I've noticed on other hubs that I've read that they have links in blue and also at the side of their main writing there is a shaded area with extra information. How do I do that? Also, I get the google ads showing on my page, but there's none for Amazon. do I have to add them myself and if so, how?

1. katiem2 profile image59
      katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi lucienanne,

Firstly you could search this question at hubs and find lots of great tutorials regarding key words,  Just type your question into the blank white box in the upper right hand corner of this page and click search, you'll find lots of great hubs on the topic.

I know, I know, most often people expect you to know the first pieces to the puzzle when you may not so to that I offer this:

To get you started with a basic answer here you  go... Ah key words, key words or tags, (related  words) are words that others may use looking or searching for similar content as your hubs content.  So you want to pick out around 8 - 10 good key words or tags that are related to your content and key words, always include your key words as tags as well, making your search results more relevant.  Hope this helps, if not keep asking. 

OH, and the red x's are for deleting the key words if you so choose to do so, often after a hub settles you will add more key words or tags and possibly delete others.   Some people choose to include the minimal two key words when building their hubs and add more later as their key word research creatively expands. 

smile Much Success, Katie smile

2. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your questions can be answered by searching the help section or by looking through the Learning Center. (help is in the upper right corner of this page, the Learning Center link is at the bottom of this page)

Any more questions after that, we can assist. smile

(Yes, you can add the Amazon ads yourself by adding an Amazon capsule to your hub)

3. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

1) The 'tags' are set up when you first start a hub - these are used as 'search terms' and help when people search for certain terms in Google - you probably want about 10 at least, all relevant to your hub - the cross next to it allows you to delete a tag. (A tag is essentially a keyword too - the thing to do is to try and include certain keywords every couple of hundred words or so - so for instance if you have a hub called FIFA 2010 World Cup, you should repreat this phrase every so often as well as include it as a tag.

2) You should mess around with the placement and color of modules - when you place it to the right (there are controls on top of the module as you edit) you can shade the whole section. The links in blue can be added in a regular text file using the controls at the top, or you can use the link module.

3) Amazon - you firstly have to be an Amazon affiliate. You can then use the Amazon module to add relecant Amazon items.

4. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm looking forward to reading your Hub about the Canary Islands - I've just been doing some personal study that included mention of them, and I'll be happy to learn more from you!

Links - I've only just learned to do that myself, and the best way for me was to use a links capsule.  You can add a links capsule when you are in edit mode for the Hub; add it just the same way as you add a text or photo or Amazon capsule, using the shaded box on the top right of the page ["Add More Capsules"] or the toolbar at the top of the page, if you have scrolled down.

Amazon capsule, you do add the capsule yourself, but you have the choice of selecting specific items you want to include or allowing Amazon to select items that seem appropriate to your Hub.  There may be other ways of linking to Amazon (such as  a "store," explained on the Amazon Affiliates site), but those choices may be better for the future after you have had some experience with using the capsules.

Keywords/tags - these show up differently to you and to other readers.  To other readers, there will be just a shaded box with the tags that you have selected.  On your page, you will see the red x's for deleting them and also a box of suggested tags; there may be some suggestions that you haven't thought of, but so far I haven't used many of those myself.

Finally, putting information side-by-side - just create two different capsules and make them both half-column width (in edit mode, look to the right of the page to the box that says "Capsule Ordering" and double-click each capsule), then drag them so they are side-by-side.  Be sure to click "Save changes."

Good luck, and welcome!

2. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 13 years ago

Whoah. You know, that's a much bigger set of questions than you realise right now. There are hubs upon hubs detailing this stuff and the best way is to work through it at your own pace.

There's an Amazon capsule for adding those ads. Read up on the best style of hubs for Amazon or Google Adsense etc, how to use keywords and so on. There's just so much in it that I can't really detail it all here (and I'm soooo not an expert).

Good luck smile

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I forgot to suggest reading Hubs for info - thanks Audrevea for coming to the rescue!  smile

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

Lucieanne,

I really recommend you this page, http://hubpages.com/faq/

That's going to answer a LOT for you.

4. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Just have a good read of what everyone has pointed you at, it really does answer all your questions very simply, it must be simple if I can follow it..

5. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

One other comment:  The pictures in your Canary Islands Hub are beautiful, but some of them are enlarged so much that they have become fuzzy.  It might be better to make them smaller so that they look clearer.  On the other hand, I think there are some ways to modify the pics (away from HubPages) so they can be enlarged without being fuzzified.  [I'm pretty sure someone has written a Hub about this, or they may have included the info in another Hub.]

Some of my pics are exactly the same - and I still haven't corrected all of them!  It may actually be easier for you to do this (correct them) before you publish so many Hubs that you forget which ones need tweaking.

6. lucieanne profile image68
    lucieanneposted 13 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. I'm not good with all this computer stuff. I've only ever used it for surfing and facebook really. It's good to know there's so many of you out there with a goldmine of knowledge to help me along. I'll get back to my homework now.
    Thanks again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)