happy marriage

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (28 posts)
  1. dawnM profile image59
    dawnMposted 13 years ago

what are five great tips to a happy marriage

1. profile image0
      woolman60posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Respect each other’s views, thoughts and feelings
      Honesty, always be honest and never be hurtful with your words
      Forgiveness, is very important because no one is perfect
      Unconditional Love, no matter what
      Communication, leads to a respectful, honest, forgiving and unconditional love for eternity.

These are the top five but it takes more, it is the little things that count the most, after 22 years I love her more than the day we married.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

remain who you are and respect each other as an individual

share common interests and have your own separate interests

go out and do things together, especially after children arrive

keep realistic expectations

listen to each other

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Five tips?

(a) trust in one another
    (b) communication must remain open at all times about anything
    (c) honesty is the best policy
    (d) compassion
    (e) love

That's about it. wink big_smile

1. profile image0
      Precious Williamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cagsill I'm curious. Are you married?

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No! And, it is not relevant. It asked for tips for a happy marriage.

If you or anyone else cares to claim I am wrong, then I would honestly say that the word "relationship" is what is being missed in the conversation of marriage.

The foundation of the relationship is what makes the marriage a happy one. What I listed were the KEYS to making the relationship strongest.

And, as you can see, TAMCOR agrees and has been married for 22 years.

1. profile image0

I didn't claim that you were wrong.  I was just curious.  That is one of the problems of this sort of communication you cannot tell in which tone I was asking the question.

2. TamCor profile image82
      TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly what I would've said!

And we've been married, very happily, for almost 22 years now... smile

Tammy

I'm happy for you Tammy. wink big_smile

1. TamCor profile image82

Aw, thank you, Cagsil...big_smile

Tammy

You're quite welcome Tammy.

My grandmother and her live-in boyfriend, never married, but where together for close to 30 years. When she came down with dementia and was hospitalized, he had no one, not even family.

He died 11 months later, and she died 10 months after he did. hmm

That's so sad. sad

Honestly, you hear of that happening so often, don't you?  And, having what I have had for all of these years with my husband, I can imagine the terrible feeling of loss they must go through. 

Although we have three kids, and grandkids now, and I love them to death, it would still be unbearable to go on without my Tom...

Sorry, didn't mean to be morbid here, but what you said hit home, Cagsil...smile

Tammy

It was sad to live through it and watch it happen before my eyes. However, it still simply proves "marriage" isn't a requirement for a long loving relationship.

Thank you Tammy. smile

You're absolutely right, Cagsil...a piece of paper doesn't matter a bit, when you love someone...

It's funny--I didn't even think about them not being married when you were talking about them--I was all wrapped up in the emotional part of it... smile

Tammy

lol Right, you recognized their love, through my words. Funny how that works, huh? lol lol

3. europewalker profile image78
      europewalkerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil your are so right. My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th in December and it doesn't even seem like we have been together that long.

Thank you Europe. I am also glad to hear your marriage has lasted. That's really cool. cool smile

3. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

(1)Separate bedrooms
    (2)Separate bank accounts
    (3)Different hobbies
    (4)Holidays alone
    (5)Christmas/Easter etc spent together - never with either family.

1. dawnM profile image59
      dawnMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I loved your reply

1. profile image0

Thank you.  It might scare some people but I was being absolutely serious.

1. wychic profile image85
          wychicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Definitely true to a degree...you have to have at least SOME things that are just yours! My husband and I share a lot of interests, but he keeps golf for himself and I keep my crafts for me smile. We don't have separate bedrooms (need nightly snuggles!) but each have our own areas that are just ours...when we buy a place, these areas will be his garage and my greenhouse, we don't even have to hear each other if we don't want to! And I also agree with the above bits...the piece of paper doesn't really matter, the relationship and the commitment are what does. While I am very happy to be my husband's wife, if it weren't for matters like health insurance, etc., there really wouldn't be any compelling reason to be legally married.

4. dawnM profile image59
    dawnMposted 13 years ago

precious you are too funny, yours sounds more realistic in this day and age.

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Just one: don't even think about trying to change him smile

1. dawnM profile image59
      dawnMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes change is not happening, if you want to change a man forget it think how hard it is to change yourself let alone someone else

1. wychic profile image85
        wychicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I think anyone that tries to change someone doesn't really love that person, just their idea of what the person could be. I always wonder what gives people this sense of entitlement to attempt to mold others to their own preferences.

6. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Know what your partner's love language is.  Communicate and be friends. Show courtesy to each other and be polite.

7. PackSecure profile image61
    PackSecureposted 13 years ago

Love
    Fidelity
    Honesty
    Trust
    Friendship

8. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 13 years ago

Every marriage is unique. Ours works great and this is how we keep it that way...
    1. Know your partners top 3 needs and honor them.
    2. Know what is most hurtful to your partner and honor it always.
    3. Keep your individual identity alive and well.
    4. Communicate well. Listen and share often.
    5. Have fun together every chance you get smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)