Consciousness!...mans natural enemy?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (36 posts)
  1. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Will the human characteristic "consciousness," become mans own "natural" enemy?
    All life on this planet has natural enemies which control the balance of life...except man.
    Is the anomaly "consciousness" by proxy I.e. the ability to destroy/control all jeopardizing threats, going to be a human characterist that will eventually reduce human existence to a "manageable" level of existence or destroy it completely?
    Anyone thought about this?

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No! Consciousness is not man's enemy.

Humanity's natural enemy is irrationality, because irrationality cause most of the strife.

1. lxxy profile image60
        lxxyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. But saying "irrationality" leaves too much open for attack--I think emotions, no matter their root cause and function are vital to psychology and the enjoyment of life.

1. qwark profile image61
          qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cags:
          C'mon!
          One cannot be "irrational" if one is not conscious.
          Irrational acts are a facet of a lower level of conscious thought and action.

Dear Sir Qwark,

Re-read your own post in reply to what I said and you see if it makes any sense, because when I read it, it doesn't. hmm

2. Cagsil profile image69

If one is not conscious, then they are unconscious. One can only be either sleeping or dead. And irrational anything is impossible.

The different levels of consciousness is what is left out of your statement, in the beginning, but injected into the secondary part of your post.

And, just to let you know, irrational acts not only come from lower level of conscious thought, it also comes from reactionary emotions.

1. qwark profile image61

Cags:
              Your comment: "And, just to let you know, irrational acts not only come from lower level of conscious thought, it also comes from reactionary emotions."
              I agree Cags! But golly, at that moment of "irrationality," mightn't the 'conscious" one be functioning at a lower level of "consciousness (awareness)?" eh?
              Just an aside to consider...:-)

Emotions are not tied to conscious thought. Emotions are reactionary/instinctive, based on cause and effect.

A cause makes the effect of an emotion, regardless of thought.

Irrationality is not subjected to simply the level of consciousness or awareness of one person. An irrational act is subjective based on an individual's ability to judge rational separate from irrational.

You might see something as irrational, while the person who does the action has already rationalized it in their mind to be okay.

1. qwark profile image61

Cag:
                  Not so.
                  Emotions are definitely tied to "conscious" thought! My goodness!
                  I consciously witness a murder.
                  I understand the consequences and become emotionally involved. If I'm an "instinctive" animal as opposed to a conscious willful creature, I might pay it no attention and trot away.
                  As an "aware," intelligent animal, I am bound by, what is known in the field of biology as SOR. (Stimulous, Organism, Response).
                  My response to the murder may be "irrational"/emotional or it may be a studied and thoughtful response.
                  If I function at a high level of consciousness, my "response" may be thoughtful and logical: a 911 call.
                  An emotional response might be a scream, run away, cower in a corner in a fetal position and become "irrationally" emotional. That would be a lower level of "consciousness" response.
                  We humans are both "willfull" and "instinctive" creatures...but that which seperates us from lesser aware creatures is an ability to "willfully" control an instinctive response.
                  Oh yes, emotion is directly connected to "consciousness."   :-)

2. qwark profile image61

Cags:
        I went back to re-read your comment.
        I can't change my response.
        Irresponsible action is but the action of one who hasn't thought things out to a logical conclusion and acted before coming to a logical conclusion. Only the "conscious" can do that. Ergo, "consciousness" must be utilized to act irrationally.
        I stand by my response.
        If I responded "irrationally"..:-) Clear it up for me using a thoughtful conscious effort...ok..? TY...:-)

2. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

most definitely it is man's enemy and friend at the same time.
      his indulgence of it clearly shows an ever increasing necessity.

by the same token, when man becomes able to exceed his need, he can exist beyond it, his conscious machine working while he is doing other things.

2. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 13 years ago

"I still think the odds are good that you can make a bet on what will be the odds, when numbers shape our world, and we control the shape, we'll frolic with the Gods."-Tub Ring

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_BRMr2D3unLI/TAqRZ1-49aI/AAAAAAAAAJw/uoxAvgOLnDk/s400/free.jpg

1. mrpopo profile image71
      mrpopoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice picture. Sad but true sad

1. lxxy profile image60

If one is aware of how they feel about themselves and how they are living their life, they're free to change it. wink

Then again, ignorance is bliss...

Again, true.

Although, I've always wondered how I could change things when I'm trapped in the system society imposes.

1. lxxy profile image60

As qwark points out there's millions of people on the planet--even in a fragmented system of governments you can slip through the cracks. Gone globally, even in an Orwellian fashion, it's even easier to play hide and seek in plain sight. wink

Oh, and I'm working on my response qwark. In Hub Form. It's on. wink

An interesting thought, but alas I still don't see how I could play hide and seek in plain sight.

Could you explain, Ixxy? I'd love to know smile

1. lxxy profile image60

Oh, there's lots of ways. Look up Kevin Mitnick, for example. You might find him fascinating.

It's not what I had in mind, but that is interesting!

1. lxxy profile image60

I know. But it's really something you should look into, if being subversive is your gig. ;P

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_BRMr2D3unLI/S_q6PyBOOOI/AAAAAAAAAH8/he3I4xzEcwA/s400/police-state26.jpg

By the way, qwark. Here's your answer.

2. qwark profile image61

ok Ixxy...:-)

2. qwark profile image61

Thoughtlessly optimistic to the extreme.
      World population approximates 6.7 billion of us human creatures.
      In a generation and a half, it will reach 9 - 10 billion.
      Human consciousness has the ability to conquer most any jeopardizing threat...if it works together in concert.
      To think that mankind will come together to function "synergistically" with survival in mind, is pure poppycock. That probabilty does not exist.

1. lxxy profile image60

Well someone's being a negative nancy. wink

I'd love to debate it with you...but poppycock it isn't. All options are on the table until we open the box and find the cat dead or alive. wink

1. qwark profile image61

Hahaha  Ixxy, if you think poppycock it isn't, pls tell us why you think that. Can you?

3. goldenpath profile image68
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

Man's natural enemy is excess flatulence! smile

4. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

I thought Man's natural enemy was woman....

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

only to the degree that many are not aware of their own connection to consciousness, then they become their own natural enemy.
    the proverbial, 'follow the yellow brick road.' always looking, never realizing where it lies.

1. lxxy profile image60

That reminds me of Mitch Hedberg...

"I got tired of following my dreams so I asked where they were going and I told them I'd meet up with them later."

6. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

There's consciousness and then there's awareness - we need to hurry up and train our consciousness so that we become more aware and less "self-conscious" - so we train our awareness outward and absorb the world around us with "conscious compassionate awareness" and then we can truly live by the Golden Rule - treating the world with true carefulness - otherwise we are just lost in a morass of self-gratification and destructiveness.

But I do believe we are evolving towards conscious compassionate awareness - I hope we can hurry it along a little before we completely destroy the planet.

1. qwark profile image61

Mega:
      Man cannot destroy the planet.
      what do you think it is that will bring man together in concert to guarantee his success as an evolving form of life.
      Humanity is currently so fragmented by so many differing elements created by universal ignorance and depravity, that it seems to me that a burgeoning human population will only serve to degrade already terrible circumstances.

1. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea what you are trying to say!

1. qwark profile image61

Mega:
          What is difficult for you to understand about my comment?
          Break it down for me.
          I'll try to clarify it for you...ok?

7. tel37 profile image61
    tel37posted 13 years ago

Is that you Dave King ?Often think about you ,I lost you cntct details,Let me know,Terry

8. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

Qwark - first you say man cannot destroy the planet, then you say overpopulation is degrading the planet - I guess that's what' I don't understand.  Also you ask me what I think will bring man together to evolve and survive -  I was saying that we need to hurry up and develop our "conscious compassionate awareness"  which is the intelligence we already have combined with compassion for each other and all life forms that will focus us on sustainably living on this planet - not destruction or war with each other.   I don't know whether we can survive or not - I don't know whether we will evolve enough and fast enough to accomplish this - but it starts with each individuals' awareness - there is no easy way - certainly we can't depend on our "faith" in some greater power to take care of us!

1. qwark profile image61

hahaha...Mega, Mega:
      I didn't say any of that except that man cannot destroy the planet...which is a FACT!
      I didn't say degrade the planet, which we can do, I said that "humanity' wil be further degraded by a burgeoning growth in human population.
      You are right about evolving "conscious compassionate awareness."
      You say we have to "hurry up." How do we hurry it up?
      You say "...it starts with each individuals' awareness...." I agree but if we can't do that now, with 6.7 billion people, what's it going to be like with about double that amount of ignorant, starving, angry, people who will be existing in horribly degrading, deprivating conditions?
      There is no "greater power" looking over us!
      We are the "captains of our ship, the masters of our faith!"
      Our "survival" as a species will not end, but I'm sure that there will be a massive diminution of our species in the not too distant future.
      Does that clear the intent of my comment up for you?   :-)

9. profile image0
    Chasukposted 13 years ago

Consciousness is an evolved behavior that apparently increased our
    fitness to survive, so I don't see it as our enemy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)