Warning: This hub appears to be commercial

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 13 years ago

The above warning appears on a couple of my hubs, maybe more, but doesn't show on the stats page. So, short of checking all 115 one by one, how am I supposed to know the warning is there?

More to the point, the warning is wrong. Occasionally I set the ads level to low or none because I don't want the reader distracted.

The hub does contain a link to a blog, but that too is not a commercial blog. I think we're getting a bit trigger happy with some of these automatic warnings.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I thought that if a hub had any links at all it was considered commercial?

Paragliderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The irony is, the warning appears on an essay against consumerism that links to a blog against consumerism.

How do I get it through that I'm not trying to make money out of this??

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Provide the URL to the blog but don't make it a hyperlink... then you should be fine?

I suppose so, but that's less convenient for the readers. I've also used an rss capsule to the blogs 3 recent posts. That's not going to work except by displaying the hyperlinks.

1. Pcunix profile image90
            Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Which article is this?  I like reading your posts, but I don't want to go pawing through all of them looking for this either :-)

It's this one http://hubpages.com/hub/bloodless-revolution and its partner hub on the same subject. (You won't be able to see the warning though - they are only visible to the owner). Thanks for your interest smile

1. profile image0
                china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Naughty boy!  now you have gone and promoted your hub as well - the Hubpolice are gonna get you !  big_smile

Now I am off to look at it as well- sounds like my kind of thing smile

But not until I was asked to - anyway, the hub police owe me one wink

2. Pcunix profile image90

I had read that and the other.

I started a comment but just got overwhelmed by a feeling of hopelessness.  Too much greed, too much bread and circus, too much ignorance.

I decided that I really had nothing to say except "I agree", which didn't make for much of a comment.

Pcunix - 'I agree' is just fine. What we can't change globally we can still opt out of personally. And if enough of us do that, we become the global norm.

I'm afraid I know far too many people who wouldn't even read what you wrote, never mind agree with it.

One of the reasons I love HubPages so much is the concentration of intelligence.  Yes, of course we have our bozos, but the percentage of bright people (on all points of the political compass) is much higher.  Even when I find myself in solid opposition, I can often appreciate the intelligence behind the argument.

In the real world, however,  the diamonds are scarce and barely visible.  Their voices are drowned out, ridiculed, ignored.   It's rare to find intelligent conversation or, failing that, even *interesting* conversation.

I want to thank you for contributing to both.  Of course there are many others; my New Hubs email is starting to get far too long and I'm going to have to risk insulting a few by un-following.  You will never be cut :-)

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that warning applies with three of more links to the same site?

3. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

I wish you the very best in finding your problem.  I am sure that HubPages would happy to explain this situation to you.

The easy solution is just to enable ads, but as the hub was ad-free  for a long time with no flag, it must be a new policy that has caused the change.

4. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

You said you have an RSS feed that links to the blog's 3 latest posts. You also have a hyperlink to the blog in the hub itself. That's 4 links to the same domain, and is most likely the reason why your hub received the message. I believe we're not supposed to have more than two links to the same domain in any hub.

I was under the impression that an RSS capsule counted as a single link. If not, why does HP allow more than two stories per capsule?

A grey area, (or a gray one in the US)

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paraglider, the policy on RSS feeds has definitely changed.  I noticed it myself.

A RSS feed used to count as one link, so you could have one other link in the text.   I used to have several Hubs with that set-up and never got a flag.

Now, if you include the RSS feed, you can't have any other links in the text.  So, the new rule appears to be that it's either two links or the RSS feed.

Thanks Marisa - that's what I suspected, that there had been a change. But without a warning in the stats page, how do we know if we've been warned?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure that it matters.  If they get to the point of unpublishing it, they'll let you know!

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Just read the rules Dave. ANY link makes a hub commercial - no matter where it points to, this was in the rules from the very start. smile

1. Aya Katz profile image83
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But commercial isn't bad, right?

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not bad for me. Can't say for sure about Paraglider though, and considering his political views it likely bears at least mildly negative connotation for him. smile

However HP uses it as a neutral word, and all it's purpose is to define hubs that have to have ads enabled - for the reason of being used for more than just publishing content. smile

But Misha - my views are not political; they're just rational wink

Aya - commercial isn't bad, but sometimes I just don't want adverts spoiling the reader's experience. Especially flashing adverts! I'd rather forego the odd 2-cent click.

Kirstenblog - it wasn't the over-promotional flag. I've never had that one. It just says that because the hub is 'commercial' I am supposed to set adverts to 'high'. I don't much care for that.

Ahh, so that's the issue.

Remember, you have a partner here who takes 40% of impressions to pay the nice staff people.  You are taking the milk from their teeny mouths!

True, but without writers there would be nobody reading and clicking.

Anyway, I've gone along with the request and set the ads to high. It's not worth the appeal process smile

6. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

RSS is a B*tch for flagging a hub as overly promotional or commercial or whatever. I had this happen to a hub I wrote and removing the RSS was my only option to get rid of that warning. Sucks but I can understand it, I may not wish to abuse the system/site but there are those who would and do abuse it all the time. I guess I prefer a site that makes it hard to impossible to spam the net that also makes it hard for me to promote myself and my works. I just have to work harder but it also means my promotion is more tasteful and useful to the net. Nothing wrong with promoting yourself, just spamming is wrong smile

7. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 13 years ago

Hi Paraglider,

http://hubpages.com/faq/#commercial

To paraphrase:

Commercial just means that either:

1) you have an outbound link to a .com (or .info?) website, whether or not it's owned by you,

2) there's an affiliate text link, or

3) it promotes a business.

8. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 13 years ago

true!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)