Is there anything I can take Naturally to settle anxiety?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (31 posts)
  1. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

Such as any type of food...

1. Fluffymetal profile image76
      Fluffymetalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Make marijuana brownies other than that CHOCOLATE... j/k

kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

naaaw was never fond of marijuana... lol

2. Glenn Raymond profile image61
      Glenn Raymondposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The best my wife has come up with as far as food goes is chamomile tea, a little dark chocolate, aromatherapy and exercise.  Me, I just don't sweat the small stuff, and any problem causing anxiety that can be handled even by the slightest bit really is small stuff.  Hang in there and much luck to you.  I will have to pop over and read some of your articles.

3. ncarpenter profile image60
      ncarpenterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Try doing Yoga..it's all the mind.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

St John's wort

1. Ivorwen profile image66
        Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hop tea is also useful.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

meditate

1. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

perfect answer

3. akirchner profile image92
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

There are several herbs that supposedly calm anxiety but I would not list them as that might be giving folks wrong information.  I would consult with an herbalist or a health food store, although some of these people are not very informed. The problem with herbs and such is that they DO act like medicines so the most reliable source of information would be a naturopath or a certified herbalist and not a store worker!  It is important to know that herbs and over-the-counter supplements of any kind can cause all kinds of heart irregularities and systemic problems so like medicines, be well informed before you use them.

All that said, cutting back on caffeine if you use it is a great way to reduce anxiety naturally and there are other techniques as well that I've found really work. 

You can research natural or holistic methods for reducing anxiety on the Internet as well, but again, have a care for your health and well being and if you are going to try some of them and they are herbal or over-the-counter, consult with someone professional before using.  Good luck!

ok thanks...

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Kmackey,

I would suggest using the most powerful object you have to eliminate your anxiety- your brain. wink

Usually, if you would like to get rid of any form of anxiety, it boils down to mind over matter...as long as you don't mind, it won't matter.

If you mind, then it matters.

Anxiety is just another emotion, some people rather have other people try to figure out how to fix, when the actual solution is within yourself. hmm

And on a side note, since my statement is pretty much generalized for a suited purpose- I'm pretty sure people will be glad to tell me how "their" anxiety is more of this or more of that or only occurs when whatever happens or they are different....and to them...I say, hogwash! wink hmm

LOL

5. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I think watching a lot of funny movies, reading humorous books, keeping busy and meditating would be a good idea. It's not a good thing to get into the habit of using drugs to alter your mood.

Just saying.

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this reply. Your anxiety is completely natural - I read your other thread about what you are going through but didn't comment because I had nothing to add, but I do feel for you.
      Seeing that your feelings of anxiety are completely natural under the circumstances, I would keep myself busy so that I didn't have time to dwell on the problem, thus reducing anxiety.

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...hmmmmm...not sure about the food types...but some of the vitamins and nutritional value from natural juices could be good...i'd google some; i get into juicing vegs/fruits from time to time; I guess stay away from foods with a lot of sugars in them.

a vitamin shop i go to has some really good natural rememdies - the staff are usually quite knowledgeable.  there are many natural stress/anxiety relief type products available - some work; some don't....esential oils can be really soothing too I find or some other method around natural scents...you'd have to determine the scent that has a calming affect for you...most of the types will have a description of the use for it.  i like burning incense too - the type depends on the mood I'm after....i tend to burn more in the winter months when it's dark and gloomy - it does something for me.  i have a favourite shop where I buy my natural incense.

meditation - like through yoga can be quite refreshing and calming - but that isn't food stuff.

hope some of this info helped!

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

deep breathing, any form of yoga can help naturally.
    a hot cup of green tea can be soothing.  a walk.

recently I wrote a hub about practicing presence, it may help, Kristie.

8. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Yes, choline and inositol and a few other things. You can google them. Choline calms racing thoughts and inositol helps calm the nervous system. I've written a hub about anxiety/panic. The stuff works and doesn't leave you with the awful side effects and addiction of meds.

9. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 13 years ago

Dark chocolate (70% dark or greater)

Blueberries (I've become addicted to them an eat a cup each morning!) I seriously think they positively impact my brain chemical levels because I really do crave them.

Cut out all caffeinated beverages, they cause a huge production of cortisol which causes a lot of anxiety that you can't really place why you're having it. (the worst kind, in my opinion!)

If you must drink coffee, limit yourself to one cup a day, before noon and no later. I noticed a HUGE difference after mostly cutting it out. I drink iced coffee only 3x a week now around 9am and feel so much better.

10. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

licorice root tea - it can't hurt you, and you can make it very strong and just sip it until you feel calmer.  I also use valerian, but I save it for really really heavy duty anxiety, can't sleep kinda anxiety times.  It is a good idea to read about herbs and use them with caution -  the book The Way of Herbs by Michael Tierra is my favorite.

1. nlowman profile image61
      nlowmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, valerian root teas are great for reducing anxiety, in my experience.

11. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 13 years ago

I've always used Bach Flower Remedies for such problems. They really are amazing. Take a look around the web for more info.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hubber Shalini Kagal has many hubs about the various Bach flower remedies.

12. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Reading a good work of fiction!

13. ediggity profile image59
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

You might find something here:

http://www.boironusa.com/productslist.a … mp;pcat=11

They have a lot of natural remedies.

14. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

you need to consult a proper aromatherapist, but I think that Frankinsense, Clary Sage and lavender are good for anxiety.

15. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

http://www.famouspeople.com/famous_biographies/images/john_belushi.jpg

Drink Heavily...

no that would only help for a moment... lol

16. Sky321 profile image81
    Sky321posted 13 years ago

Valarian Root is supposed to be real good. You can buy them in tablet form at a health food store.

17. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

This isn't a healthy long-term solution, but the following "evil" foods/drink have been effective for me.  My approach goes against a whole lot of conventional wisdom you may hear these days (and it REALLY goes against healthy-eating/drinking rules), but it's not without its scientific basis.

What works for me (believe it or not) is two big, giant, cups of hot, not-too-strong, coffee with lots and lots of light cream and one level teaspoon of plain, old, sugar.  (I mean some basic, non-dark-roast-type, coffee - like Maxwell House Original, mixed using less coffee than the can recommends).  So, by the time I've eliminated some of the caffeine by making it mild, and then added a high percentage of light cream (so the coffee is just this side of tasting like coffee ice cream), I think the caffeine issue isn't a big factor.  I think the fat in the light cream is calming (fat is calming); and - I don't know - I think the sugar (which I normally don't use) offers that little "mental energy boost".

Other things I've found to work:  Two dark Lindt truffles.

A tuna salad sandwich (protein, fats, carbohydrate).  Add a Coke (sugar and lots of sodium) and/or a few potato chips (carbs, fats, more sodium).  (A few years ago news reports were that McLean Hospital, a mental-health facility, in Belmont, MA found tuna to have some effectiveness when compared to anti-depressants - so it isn't just me who noticed this about tuna salad.)

Nobody would want to turn this "food-as-tranquilizer" approach into a long-term habit; but when you're particularly stressed out and anxious, your body requires (and may even crave) high-energy foods (and if you're under long-term stress, maybe salt) as a way of getting out of a stress-response mode (anxiety and generally feeling bad).  The reason some people crave fats and carbs is that their body is telling them that's what it needs to get out of a stress-response mode.  Even if you're not craving this stuff, that doesn't mean it still won't help (at least some) to calm down.  (I only rarely resort to the tuna sandwich thing or chocolate.  The "evil" light-coffee thing, though - that's the one I rely on fairly often.   smile

Get a nice potpourri scent (or even Glade plug-in) that makes you feel calmer going.  Maybe get some fresh air and/or change the lighting so it encourages less frazzle-ment.  (I've been known to just "inhale" the right Yankee potpourri tart in its wrapped - and even that can seem to help.  (Just get a scent that makes you feel really good.  Other people's ideas of "calming scents" may not always work for you.)

18. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

In my old country people use valerianum drops all the time. They are more "pleasant", because tea tastes awful and might add to your anxiety, and smells awful too! 5 drops of liquid valerianum and some water to swallow on top of it before going to bed might do wonders here! And light supper without too much sweet things might help. And no coffee, please. And it's all tried and true, not old grannies' tales.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)