What books do you read again and again?

Jump to Last Post 51-82 of 82 discussions (115 posts)
  1. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

When I was a kid I read Heidi over and over again.  Someone gave me a really nice, big, copy of it; and I liked that it had "little writing like a grown-up has".

Other than that, I'm not one for "book re-runs".  I did go over the Phantom of the Opera a few times, trying to figure out some stuff.   hmm

2. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

fountain head , experiment of truth by mahatma , gita ,five point some one, rich dad are few which i keep reading again and again...

3. hutchy-rants profile image60
    hutchy-rantsposted 13 years ago

Lord of the rings! I must have read it 20 times...

4. profile image56
    mistwigposted 13 years ago

little women
    pride and prejudice
    little men
    david copperfield
    anything by victoria holt
    christine feehan carpathian series
    a book is always better than the movie
    ive read so many books i cant remember them all,,, so many books, so little time

1. camlo profile image85
      camloposted 13 years ago

Harald and Maude by Colin Higgins, Under the Net by Iris Murdoch

2. DeathMcGunz profile image60
      DeathMcGunzposted 13 years ago

For me, it usually takes something (of which I haven't quite identified) for me to get into a book, and even more of that something for me to read it again. The only books I have found with "that thing" are:

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
      and
      Ender's Game

3. poetvix profile image56
      poetvixposted 13 years ago

Nothing is better to me than coffee, cigs, and an old friend, i.e. a good book.  Some of my faves have been mentioned but I may have some that have not.
      Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series
      Earth's Children Series
      Chonicles of Valdamar by Mercedes Lackey
      Orson Scott Cards Ender's Game Series
      Anne Rice's The Mayfair Witches (thought I was gonna say vamps huh?)
      Lumley's Necroscope Series
      and my new found addition to this list that I have only read twice but love, love, love the characters...
      J.R. Ward's Black Daggar Brotherhood Series
      Yes, I like to read series...stand alones typically leave me wanting unless it is Steven King's The Stand or, of course, Gone /w the Wind.

4. Eric Graudins profile image59
      Eric Graudinsposted 13 years ago

Ayn Rand: "Atlas Shrugged". Written over 50 years ago, it accurately describes the times we live in.
      It's good fun putting current names to the characters in the book.

Jeremy Clarkson - love his writing sytle

Maxwell Maltz - Psycho Cybernetics.

Goon Show Scripts.

There ya go.
      Plenty of material for armchair psychoanalysts to go to town on me lol

5. Michael Ray King profile image69
      Michael Ray Kingposted 13 years ago

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlien
      The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlien
      The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
      A Song of Ice and Fire (series) by George R. R. Martin
      The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov

6. thirdmillenium profile image61
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Alistair McLean, Agatha Christie, The Man by Irwing Wallace and more than anything else PG Wodehouse.

7. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

For classics, yup can't beat an Agatha Christie mystery.

8. profile image0
      philip carey 61posted 13 years ago

Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" (poetry); Ralph Waldo Emerson's "Essays: First Series".  I've never read a novel twice. I feel like there are too many I need to read once.

9. shellyakins profile image67
      shellyakinsposted 13 years ago

The Giver by Lois Lowery
      The Bridge Across Forever by Richard Bach
      Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
      Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
      Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse

I don't reread a lot.  Once I know how the book ends, I don't really want to read it again.  Also, I have so many books on my TBR list that are new and exciting.

10. mquee profile image66
      mqueeposted 13 years ago

I can't count the times I have read The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. I guess it re-enforces what my parents taught me when I was young, that hard work (and a little luck) pay off.

11. Tusitala Tom profile image66
      Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

I have four shelves filled with books, many of which I've read several times.  Mostly I read for education, to learn.  Less often I read simply to enjoy the story.  And less often again I read simply to enjoy the magnificent prose and the visualizations conjured up from same.

One book, Essays Old and New, I bought in the 1960s.   Just picture this, from the opening sentence Hilaire Belloc's essay, The Mowing of a Field.

"There is a valley in South England remote from ambition and fear, where the passage of strangers is rare and unperceived, and where the scent of the grass in summer is breathed only by those who are native to that unvisited land.

12. JillKostow profile image89
      JillKostowposted 13 years ago

My favorite book that I have read countless times is Go Ask Alice.  Also I love to read Flowers in the Attic along with the rest of that book series!!!!

13. fucsia profile image60
      fucsiaposted 13 years ago

"one hundred years of solitude" by Gabriel García Márquez

I love the musicality of his sentences, and history repeats itself, as if never passed the time. For me it is brilliant, and every time that I read it I find it even more brillant!

14. Jaggedfrost profile image60
      Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

I don't think I own a book that I haven't read multiple times.  one of the books I wish I had but don't and still managed to check them out of the library multiple times was: The Black Trillium

15. Sweetsusieg profile image77
      Sweetsusiegposted 13 years ago

I have stacks of books that I read over and over again!!  Have a few favorite Authors too...  To list a few...  Katherine E. Woodiwiss (she has passed on from this life, but I do have her last book, as well as all of her other ones 'The Wolf and the Dove was one of the first 'adult' books I ever read)
      Charlaine Harris - Gotta love those Sookie Stackhouse books!
      Janet Evanovich -  Stephanie Plum is GREAT
      Patricia Cornwell - Scarpetta is my hero!

Every now and then my hubby goes thru my books and finds places to hide them, well I just go a buy it all over again!

16. profile image54
      Dani257posted 13 years ago

Easier question would be what books DON'T I read again and again.  But, right now, the book I keep going back to is Jane Eyre.  I also tend to read Little Women at least once a year.

17. Windsweptplains profile image61
      Windsweptplainsposted 13 years ago

I've read the King Raven Trilogy many times, and I love revisiting old classics again and again. Little Women, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre and Our Mutual Friend never get old.

18. Bobbimarie123 profile image57
      Bobbimarie123posted 13 years ago

I really love my brother sam is dead i think that one is great and i love the vampire academy

19. megs11237 profile image60
      megs11237posted 13 years ago

A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin *and all others in series
      anything by Deepak Chopra- always gives me perspective
      all of Dr. Seuss' books ( to my kids all the time)

20. tomsum profile image80
      tomsumposted 13 years ago

I grew up with Harry Potter, and I must admit I have read those quite a few times smile

21. Howard Allen profile image93
      Howard Allenposted 13 years ago

Most of George Orwell's novels. Especially Nineteen Eighty-Four, Keep the Aspidistra Flying, and Burmese Days.

22. Extinct Soul profile image60
      Extinct Soulposted 13 years ago

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery..specially its chapter 21..^_^ hihihi I don't know why.

23. Rose's Marie profile image59
      Rose's Marieposted 13 years ago

it depends on the mood im in. i find myself reading the classics like the jane austin books over and over & i love poetry so my poetry books are worn down pretty good from reading them so much, and if i'm in the mood to just read for a lil bit before going to bed i'll pick a book i've already read so i don't get caught up in it & stay up all night

24. Ingenira profile image76
      Ingeniraposted 13 years ago

I think I am the weird one here, as I love parenting books, and I like to go through them again and again. The one I like most is "Different Children different needs" by Dr. Charles Boyd. I am pretty much the person who reads to solve problems in my life....

Don't get me wrong, I love literature, novel, story stuff too. But I haven't found one that I'd read repeatedly.

25. Alya rose profile image59
      Alya roseposted 13 years ago

For me it's the Harry Potter books,I've re-read them about once a year,they never get old to me.Love it.

26. whiteboysoul profile image60
      whiteboysoulposted 13 years ago

I tend to read series over and over again:

LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy
      DUNE series
      William Gibson's SPRAWL trilogy and BRIDGE trilogy
      The works of Haruki Murakami

Peace, Terry

27. Anthea Carson profile image60
      Anthea Carsonposted 13 years ago

Gone with the Wind

28. 24-hrs-online.com profile image60
      24-hrs-online.composted 13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am glad to know some of the books which are read over and over again. Certainly some of these books have a sense of emotional attachment. Some of these books are written on such a common character of our daily life that these books fit in nicely on one or more aspects of our own life experiences of love, hate, success, achievement, respect and future goals.

So we feel like completely involved in these books.

Apart from what is alreay said, I would like to say, The Quran is one of the book which I have read over and over again. I just cant get tired of reading this book. I have read one page may be fifty time in one day and I am reading that page since last couple of months. I still wants to read more and more...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)