HubPages Partners With ClickTurn

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (48 posts)
  1. englightenedsoul profile image59
    englightenedsoulposted 13 years ago

I just saw this tweet from the official hubpages account and I really cant express how happy I am.  I believe hubbers are getting a new ad network they can earn from.

Here's the official source of the news:

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release … 299765.htm

And here is what the ads will look like:

http://files.widgetbox.com/contentads/h … vw/vwdemo/

I am just wondering when would hubpages implement it??

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I hope that this is optional.

That is enormous, and where are the AdSense ads on that page?

Is it a good payer? If that is compulsory then I am off!

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this
  3. englightenedsoul profile image59

I think that was just a demo and I hope they wont disturb the adsense ads.  And in a other thread paul deeds mentioned that hubpages would partner with other ad networks and they would be paying the publishers directly.  Somewhat like hubpages ad network.

4. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Could be that it is this:  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/48463

5. englightenedsoul profile image59

Thanks Pcunix I was just about to search for this forum thread.  You saved my time.  But according to the thread, the ads would be implemented in the last quarter of the year.  Wish they implement soon!!!

6. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I'm a bit skeptical until I learn more. One of the things that drew me to HP was that I am the master of my domain when it comes to advertising. I interact with AdSense et.al directly without any middleman--including statistical tracking and measurement--and I'm not sure I want a company like HP (or anyone else) in the middle. Unless, of course, there's TONS more money in it for me. Where's Mr. Deeds when you need him? smile

7. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I think it best not to get too excited about this it may be that it will not be available for the writers to make income from these ads. even if they become a feature here.

Having just watched the (link) demo - I am not sure how you would get someone to read an article with that size ad. wrapped around it.

If you have experienced the ads. that some sites have that have voice overs and music then it may not be popular with everyone.

I will pop over and read the other forum post mentioned maybe I have misunderstood the situation.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Voice overs... {{{{{shudder}}}}}

I'm with you - I'm not going to jump for joy unless and until I'm sure we'll get something out of it.

That wraparound ad was right where someone's profile info would be - how would people click on that if they want to, or even know it's there?

2. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, there's no fun if we don't get excited!

Let's see who can make up the worst rumor about this.   I'll start:

It's the Chinese.  They are taking us over!

3. Len Cannon profile image89
      Len Cannonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It happens all the time.  A lot of websites I go to use layout methods similar to that and it is fairly eye catching but not too obnoxious.  Of course, having it accurately targeted towards your interests makes a difference.  It is going to be a major step down for me if there's a giant prescription medicine ad on my hubs about, say, video games.

I have a sinking feeling the content producers here won't end up having access to it though.  Or if we do get paid, it'll be from a "pool" like on Squidoo, which I find.... extremely unattractive.

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I don't have time to follow tweets or log into facebook. It would be nice if these kinds of things were brought to our attention here, in an official manner.

But perhaps these are the bigger ads that HP was talking about that would be happening on their page impressions. They posted about this a while back.

9. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Where is the profile box? 'contact me' etc?

I will be gutted if the ads are that large, even if I opt out of them and even if the ads are shown on the Hubpages share. The 'related hubs' boxes form a large part of what I have built here, ads this large serve only to make them almost redundant.

There was one AdSense block on that page, I hope that there isn't something more sinister going on... I don't want anything to jeopardise my AdSense.

An alternative In-Text network, to directly replace Kontera, or another retailer would have been my personal preference.

Those ads are effectively spam.

1. Jason Menayan profile image61
      Jason Menayanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ryan,

No, we will continue to use AdSense via the API in order to maintain the transparency that Hubbers have into their earnings, and there will be no move to reduce the number of AdSense ad units. That was simply a rough proof-of-concept mockup, not a complete layout plan for how we're going to serve up ads in the future.

In terms of being spammy: I think high-quality, cutting-edge ads for recognizable brands are not considered spammy by Web visitors. You see similar ad types on marquee sites all the time. Is it fair to say that you occasionally say provocative things here in the Forums that you don't necessarily believe to be true, Ryan? wink

We just recently brought on a new VP of Sales whose sole function is to court brand advertisers with custom ad units, since large, innovative ad units typically perform quite a bit better in terms of revenue. This is a cost we're bearing, and we're happy to do so since our goal is to make both Hubbers and ourselves more ad revenue. High-impact ad units are one way we believe we can do this, and we're serious about putting muscle behind the effort.

10. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Ryan, I bet that they'll only be put on HP's share, at least for now. You still have 60% of the impressions. I've always seen the related hubs as a giant leak or a non-issue.

11. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 13 years ago

Hi all,

This press release represents an announcement to would-be advertisers that HubPages is capable of serving up high-impact ads on our site. As part of the ongoing effort to evaluate higher revenue generating opportunities for the site, we're trying to court larger advertisers with innovative ad units like the one described in the press release.

This is just an announcement to advertisers of what we're capable of delivering for them. When we do get an advertiser that's interested, we will first run the ad unit on our impressions, as we always do when evaluating a new monetization form.

If this ad route does turn out to perform like gangbusters, so much so that we want to roll it out on the entire site, then we'll look at ways we can cut authors in on the action. But this is the first step, gauging interest among advertisers and performance compared to more standard advertising units, so talk about building it into our revenue-sharing program is still premature.

12. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

*hpinfo*

13. Sufidreamer profile image77
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

Nice to know, Jason

Must admit, I detest interactive ads like that - they are a pain in the backside if you have a slower internet connection sad

They're getting better at making those lightweight, and having the optional elements load on actions like mouseover and click. smile

1. Sufidreamer profile image77
        Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope so - there are a few sites that I have had to mentally blacklist because they go OTT with the interactive content. 

We may get broadband in the Greek mountains one day! smile

You have my sympathies, Sufi - I love my broadband! smile (Hopefully you'll get it soon; in the meantime you'll just have to console yourself with the gorgeous landscape, sun, etc.)

Thankfully, more and more visitors to HubPages do have it, and, at the end of the day, their experience is the one that advertisers are paying for.

2. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Widgetbox is a great source for lightweight applications. Used it once for a website. I am curious how it will be set up graphically and what kind of ad rotation/targeting will focused on.
        This may be too soon to ask, but what kind of time-line is HP looking at for testing and implementation? -James.

Yes, too soon to ask. smile

Once we get an interested advertiser, then we'll set things in motion to test it on our share of impressions first.

14. Fiction Teller profile image61
    Fiction Tellerposted 13 years ago

Is it too premature to ask:

If HubPages does offer it to authors, will it be optional, like the other programs?

Premature to ask.

Honestly, I don't have an answer to that kind of question.

15. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Thank you Jason. smile

16. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Will you include it in YB, too?

Way too early to tell. smile (But at least with YieldBuild we have a vehicle - the Premium Programs - to share payout)

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

k, thanks smile

17. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I didn't understand this part. Is there going to be a "pool" like squidoo to keep low performing hubs out ? or QA system to unpublish those hubs ?

No. I'm not sure where you drew that conclusion. We're talking about ads.

18. Sufidreamer profile image77
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

Just one other question, Jason big_smile

I have had a look at the template - what is happening with the Hubber's profile box and widget?

For someone like myself, who is selling a service, an easily visible link to my profile and the 'contact' link are far more important than cramming in a few extra adverts. hmm

Hi Sufi,

It looks like YieldBuild might be testing out some spots in the sidebar. The vast majority of feedback we've gotten from Hubbers is to enable more money--something YieldBuild is exceptionally good at doing--but you're free to set your ad level to lower or none (for non-commercial content, naturally).

1. Sufidreamer profile image77
        Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reply, Jason smile

We will see how that goes - I will play around with things if and when it happens.

At least this gives me time to look at a few other options, just in case.

19. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the update, interested in seeing how it will all develop.

20. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the input Jason.

Just a quick question in regards to this.

Currently Hubpages places the 3 available adsense blocks on publishers pages + Link units, however it places more adsense blocks in it's own share of the impressions. It is also using Chitika and other advertising platforms in it's share of the revenue, what are the chances of Chitika being rolled out to fill in the blank ad units which cannot curerntly be used by Publishers, but are filled in the Hubpages share of earnings. 

While Hubpages is advertising on 40% of their page impressions I do sometimes feel that they are taking much more than the 40% of advertising impressions, simply because they put so much more on their share.

If our work is being used with a new advertising platform only on the Hubpages share, I sincerely do hope it does not take long for this to be rolled out as an option to publishers!

Hi Oli,

I don't have purview into everything that's being experimented with in terms of ads on our share of page impressions, but we do limit it to our 40% of page impressions. I don't know how many ad impressions there are running on our share of page impressions, but I don't think this is a meaningful comparison since what we experiment with does not necessarily have a higher eCPM (especially if it vanishes after a month or two!), and the goal is for us to sift through all the options out there and only roll out to authors those ad sources that are meaningful in terms of increased revenue and scalable. More ad impressions doesn't always mean more revenue; page eCPM trumps all.

On authors' 60% page impression share, we currently have AdSense, Kontera, Amazon and (for those who apparently signed up early enough) eBay, so you're certainly not limited to AdSense only.

Chitika is a mixed bag that works on some pieces of content well, but only serves to US visitors. I don't know how long we've been testing it.

In terms of rollout, we will certainly roll out new ad sources when they've proven themselves to be a solid, stable source of revenue and that can manage payout to our base of over 170,000 published authors.

21. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Thank you very much Jason. Great information! smile big_smile

You're quite welcome!

22. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

this sounds interesting. it will be exciting to see the implementation and how it all works.

23. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

I think these ads are fine for some hubs but are very distracting for some of mine.
    I've had friends and acquaintances tell me that the hubs are too busy;I think they meant too many ads and I have to agree.
    Maybe a different placement?

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess it depends how it is placed. and it sounds like it is optional if we didn't want them.

actually I don't find hubs that busy, unless they are too full of pics and videos.  I prefer opening a hub page to some of the sites out there where it's nothing but ads, where you have to hunt and scroll for the article.

2. Jason Menayan profile image61

Striking a balance between presenting an ad and for it to get attention from the reader, and overwhelming them, is one that's worth being mindful of, but it's also a matter of personal preference. After all, advertisers are paying for you to present their ad to a reader, not hide it.

For non-commercial content, you're free to set your Hubs' ad level to either Low or None, if you would like to trade off revenue-generating potential for a more subdued ad or even ad-free experience.

24. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

Hi Jason, I am just reading through these replies, and I know that you guys are working on a solution that will work for us.  In the meantime, I am thrilled with how I am doing on Hubpages so far.  smile

Thanks, LEA! Always good to hear about Hubbers' success. smile

25. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 13 years ago

I am already a member of Widgetbox and I have seen these. They have great transition effects and have clever sliding effects and magic features in their ads. They will enhance Hub Pages no end.

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hate these, and I am pretty sure those rollowver ads are annoying as hell to visitors.  To me I feel as if these are even more obtrusive than ads such as Kontera, since they are much easier to accidentally roll over.

If this is implemented I hope it is an option, not a requirement.

26. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 13 years ago

One possible example of what could be coming down the pipeline is the widget that we can post the code of, into websites or blogs. Theoretically they could appear but inside an ad box as a slightly transparent inner box. Or something like that. They have the interesting feature of a "feature inside a feature" thing. I think they will be cool. As long as it doesn't affect our other ad incomes, and allows us to earn more from our Hub Pages, then that is fine with me. Personally, I think it was only a matter of time before someone decided there should be larger ads in Hub Pages.

There is also the matter of Apple's iAds coming down the pipeline at some stage, and so the world of Ad-income is only going to become more intense and will surely grow. Hubs are prime territory for this. It's just an opinion, but there it is!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)