Question about Bullies

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Do you remember, back when you were in elementary school, and there were one, two, three or more kids who weren't very nice to others in class?  I'm not talking about the upper grade school bully, but the ones found in every grade level.  The minor bullies, I guess you'd say.  The ones who point and laugh, say mean things and make you feel like s**t by the end of the day.  (Not the ones who actually do the beating up and stealing of lunch money or whatever.)  Okay....

Well, why do they do it?  What's the point?  As I'm writing my story, I'm believing my school was full of minor bullies, and when I was quite young and stupid, I wasn't afraid to stand up to them and tell them they were wrong.  What could possibly have possessed me to do this??  What could I possibly have been thinking?  Why would I do such a thing?  What was the point??  Maybe I'll find the answers as I write, but I'm hoping for some insights.

After a few years, I gave up. (like, by 3rd grade) I saw no point in continuing, cuz it didn't seem to do any good. hmm

Thanks smile big_smile smile

2. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Why they do that ?

1. Jealousy
    2. Ego Boost
    3. Boredom
    4. Fun
    5. Maybe few more reasons..

Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh!  Just had a thought - maybe fear of self realization? 

I was going to reply to the Boredom and Ego Boost - you think this would be the case during elementary school?  Wow, I didn't think Ego's came into play so young.....hmm

1. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ego boost -maybe in high-school.
        Boredom - at any age (it's quite random you know).

Yeah, the Ego Boost would be the case for a high schooler picking on a grade schooler, right?  Or, even, someone 5 years younger like, someone who's 13 picking on an 8 year old, right?  I think I remember hearing that before.

3. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

all of what Skyfire said plus

1.  Low self esteem;
    2.  Low self confidence;
    3.  Need for power;
    4.  Attention seeking;
    5.  From abused homes (psychologically damaged);
    6.  Venting at others who are "safe" -- knowing that these people will not strike back.

Why you did it:

1.  You knew right from wrong;
    2.  You were confident;
    3.  Your self esteem was intact;
    4.  You knew you had a right to be you;
    5.  You were taught that it was okay to stand up for yourself.
    6.  There are more reasons, but you have to find these out for yourself.

Interesting.  The 'Bully excuse' can go for the verbal bully and the physical bully, then, right? 

I wonder how they know who the 'safe' people are and if their intention is to destroy the 'safe' persons identity in order for them to feel the same as the bully...or if the bully thinks they'll be able to 'steal' the 'safe persons' identity. sad hmm  Does that make sense?

4. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I don't think bullies have low self-esteem.  They do it because they can and they enjoy doing it.  It gives them a power trip.

1. Beth100 profile image69
      Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bullies tend to come from a history of being bullied themselves.  Generally, they have a family history of abuse, alcohol, drugs and/or any combination of these.  In addition, they themselves have been bullied by the addicts, thereby losing their self esteem and self confidence.  They bully because it gives them the feeling that they are in control which in turn feeds the need to feel good about themselves (self esteem).

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is that in general Beth that they were bullied upon and have low self-esteem?  Cause I don't think that's true.  I think people would like it to be true.  Most bullies, from what I remember were street smart, they were bigger than most kids their age, were pretty bold and weren't afraid to get physical.  They know which kids they can pick on and they tended to pick on the kids who weren't socially adept and were easily intimidated.

Yes, this is true.  Based on my research and other doctorate researchers and doctors, this is true and a fact.  I have written on the subject of bullying and there are several links to external sites that will support my statement. 

They are street smart because they are abandoned children.  They are not always the bigger kid.  They are bold because they have nothing to lose.  They aren't afraid to get physical because they were taught that that is the way to communicate.

They learn from watching and from experience how to litmus test their victims.  Thus they are able to choose the weaker kids who have been bullied by others.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Sticks and stones my break my bones, but words will never hurt me is a motto people should truly take to heart.

It instantly takes away any power any individual would gain from saying anything in which to demean or degrade. wink big_smile

OMG - that cute little saying gave me nightmares when I was a kid! lol

Nightmares of sticks and stones breaking my bones....not a pretty picture! lol

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately Rafini, you surrender power to others, whenever you choose to let what they say, have an effect/affect on you. wink

Yeah, I understand that.  But today, as I was writing my story, I came to the realization that most of my issues came from classroom bullies and my mother not understanding.  lol  This has been a problem I've been searching my entire life for the answer to.  I think I'm finally understanding it!  (About D@mn time!!)

2. 2uesday profile image65
      2uesdayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No matter how many times I hear that old saying repeated I will never believe it or that it has any effect on a group of bullies.

It just does not 'hold water' and I believe that you can be scared and hurt by unkind words. Some bullied school children resort to self harm or even suicide and they are not driven to it because they are weak and should toughen up they are driven by the relentless pursuit of 'baiting' that goes on. It is the pack mentality that empowers bullies.

You seem to be missing the point. It is not to have any affect/effect on a group of bullies. I would have thought that would be obvious.
        WORDS spoken only harm if YOU let them. Otherwise they have no affect/effect. If YOU think there is truth to the words, then change self. wink
        You completely misunderstand the statement, no wonder you responded as you have.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that saying is not understood, as it was originally uttered by slaves who were beat physically. they preferred the words to harsh beatings.
        they probably became desensitized to words in comparison to the beatings.

children and adults are definitely hurt by words. yes, it would be nice to not allow the heart to be hurt, but it's not so much the words that hurt, but the emotions and intentions behind the words.

I think anyone who says they are never hurt by words is lying. or afraid to admit they have feelings.

I agree with you.  I think anyone who doesn't admit to being hurt by words is afraid to tell the truth.

Then I must be a liar. Thank you Rafini. roll

I think you misunderstand, or I misstated myself.  Probably me. hmm

When you were 3-4-5-6 years old or so, I'm sure you didn't fully understand the sticks and stones, and were hurt by words occasionally until you did.

At that age, I wasn't bullied. It didn't start until at least 8 or 9 or 10. wink

But being hurt by words doesn't exclusively mean being bullied.

Being bullied is limited to physical actions, to be honest. Should you apply "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me". wink

Someone cannot be bullied at the age of 3,4,5 or 6 years of age. Because, children are not completely aware of their actions to begin with at that age. smile

Just another thought. smile

2. Cagsil profile image70

I have feelings Rebekah, and my feelings cannot be hurt by words. I was bullied as a kid, but more than you could possibly imagine. But, I never let the words affect/effect, because I knew what was being said did not apply to me. smile

Just a thought. wink

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Bullying is the exemplification of cowardice and (I personally believe)low self-esteem. If you feel comfortable about who you are tehre is NO reason to pick on others -- be they younger, smaller, or just "different."
    It does seem to come with the territory with kids. Inevitably in every class there are the picked ons and the bully (and his/sher minions).
    Of course there are thow who never outgrow the need to put others down. In adulthood they abuse their wives/partners and kids.
    And even that doesn't make them feel better about themselves.
    Sad.

It is sad.  I've witnessed the adult bullies as well.  It's really rather sickening at that point, though.

7. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years ago

The weak ones are there to justify the strong.

Marilyn Manson

and which are which?

Both Rafini, the one who lets the words affect/effect them and the bully is also a weak one, because it comes from another source that they have learned to do it from. smile

2. Arthur Fontes profile image74
        Arthur Fontesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bullies single out weaker people to push around to justify to themselves that they are strong and powerful.

Usually a bully was once the weak one getting bullied around until they find another to make them feel strong.

"Do unto others what has been done to you."  Tool

Okay, but then what keeps one from becoming one of them?  By choice, I mean.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
            Arthur Fontesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A proper role model who treats people with compassion and kindness.

I was bullied as a child, I joined a martial arts class when I was twelve.  I stood up to every bully who approached me ever since.

Martial arts taught me to respect others, as well as gave me the confidence to stand my ground.

Martial Arts!  I never thought of that....I've heard something similar though, before.  lol  As a kid I thought age would bring things around to the way I thought it should be...yeah...I was wrong. lol

8. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

bullies are at heart, cowards.  they pick on those that can't fight back or who they view as physically and/or emotionally weaker, just to raise their own self esteems.  you'll notice bullies never try to pick on other bullies or people that are capable of fighting back.  the rationality of that is because bullies, for the most part, don't know how to fight.  sure, they can beat up a smaller person because of their obvious size advantage.  however, if they have to fight with a person that CAN fight back, you'll notice almost all of them tend to show their true cowardly colors. 

as cagsil would say as i hope he doesn't mind me ripping off one of his lines.  lol. "just a thought."

It's not my saying. lol lol Those are just words anyone can say. I hold no exclusivity to them. lol lol

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah, but you do say that all the time, so i kind of associated it as your catch phrase on hubpages.  lol.  you know, kind of like how "Whats up doc?" is often associated with bugs bunny.  you just say, "just a thought" so often that i kind of started to associate that phrase with you exclusively.  lol

I know Steven. Hence, so many lol lol tongue

9. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I am sorry Cagsil, you are right, in that case I cannot understand it.  Maybe it is a subject that I find difficult to comprehend and that led to me miss reading your posting. It is late here I will read it again tomorrow. Thanks. smile

10. Beth100 profile image69

You don't become one of them if you choose not to behave the way they do.

We all have a choice to hurt or not hurt ourselves or others. 

Recognizing what a bully is and how they bully is the first step.  The second is choosing not to take on the behaviors of one and act out like one.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well said, i agree with you about that.

2. Rafini profile image81

I realize I didn't ask my question very well, but you were still able to answer it. smile

What I was trying to get at is, What causes one to choose not to become one of them?

Your answer:  Choosing not to hurt ourselves or others.

Now I feel kinda silly, actually, LOL, for all the nights I've cried myself to sleep saying "I don't want to be like them!!"  All I had to do was remember, it's a choice!!

11. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Thank you rebekahELLE I did not know the history of the saying in that context it makes complete sense.

12. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I think the type of personality also makes a difference when it comes to becoming a bully.  Bullies tend to have less empathy for others, of course, and if you are an empathic person and sympathetic person, you choose not to be a bully.

Would you say bullies are natural born or exist due to learned behaviors?

It's the nature versus nurture argument.  It's a no win for either side.

Personally, I believe that it's more nurture -- the environment creates our choices.  Let me explain.

I work with high risk kids.  These kids are all males, bullies, addicts of one type or another.  They are all from broken homes and are not afraid to bully their way to attaining what they want, whether it be a stick of  gum or the running shoes on your feet.  They have learned only one way to cope with life:  force the others hand and receive what you extort.

A part of the program involves teaching them that they have a choice.  A choice to choose how they behave in different situations.  They are taught how they can react through example.  They are pushed to the limit; taught to trust each other with their lives (specifically relationship building); become independent; right and wrong behavior that society will and will not accept.  There are strict rules that are enforced and they are held accountable for breaching the rules.  They are taught that they are responsible for their own actions and they cannot blame another for what they choose to do.

Depending on the severity of their environment and their willingness to change, some take longer and others take less time, but 100% of them change.  They choose of their own free will to behave in a way that they accept for themselves, and in turn, to society.  Many of them return as leaders for the next group.

This is why I know that we have a choice and that it is the environment that makes us who we become. I watch them and realize the power that we hold within ourselves if we choose and stick to that choice.

Wow, thank you for a great explanation.  Do you know of any resources I could look into?

You must have a heart of gold to work with these kids.  It also sounds like a very rough job.  I'm glad someone can do it. smile

2. Flightkeeper profile image66

Well, I think there's a type of personality that responds to stresses at home and reproduces it in a small way at the schoolyard.  In my opinion bullies aren't introverts and Beth may be enlighten us on that part since she has done studies with bullies.  It just seems to me that bullies probably do learn these behaviors at home and according to their extroverted personality, they pick up those bullying skills probably by watching parents or some authority figure who dominates people around them.  And in order to be noticed by the popular kids they pick on kids who they recognized as intimidatable and they bully them.  And their parental figures probably don't see anything wrong with that because they think that it's part of growing up.

And I don't think the kids have to be high risk.  There are kids from wealthy families who bully as well.

So, you're thinking it's kind of a mix of natural born and learned behaviors, right?

1. Flightkeeper profile image66

Yup. lol You were a lot more succinct than I was. Thanks.

I appreciate the in-depth look, it's an issue I've dealt with repeatedly, but in a repeatedly poor way. hmm

Thanks for the detail. big_smile smile

13. Beth100 profile image69

That's the most difficult thing to remember throughout our lives.  Even as adults, we forget we have the choice.  smile

Don't beat yourself over that.  I have to be reminded every so often still.  lol

It's good to remember, we have a choice in everything we do. smile

14. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

3-5 yrs is basically when a true bully will start hurting others. I've seen it over the years and the little bully children DO realize they are hurting others. it gives them a sense of control and brings attention which is probably lacking at home. the kids generally come from homes with very controlling parents, or parents that are physically/verbally abusive.  but this is not always the case. sometimes a child's nature is sadly 'off' due to genetic abnormalities.

edit: one huge reason why it's so important to give a young child a chance to make some simple choices. but there's a way to do it where you're not giving full reign over to the child.

an important topic for sure. I've got to sign off for now.

Thanks rebekah, for sharing your thoughts.  Much appreciated. smile

15. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Thanks everyone for participating in the discussion.  All thoughts much appreciated. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)