How many times have your moved in your life time?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (43 posts)
  1. mailxpress profile image51
    mailxpressposted 13 years ago

How many times have your moved in your life time?

A friend of mine had to find a new apartment and move yet again so I was curious how many times have any of you Hubbers have moved in your lifetime?

I've moved five times in my lifetime but I've been at my present address for twelve years now.  I moved a lot when I was younger.

2. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

As crazy as this sounds, it's true, 37 times and I am 43.

Stability was never a priority growing up lol  ya think?

cheers smile

3. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

My parents lived in two different houses after I was born before they settled on the one my mom still lives in today.  I lived there from age 2 to almost 19.  I got married and moved into my husband's grandparents house since they had both passed away the year before and the family wanted to rent the house out.  After 3 years they decided to sell it and we couldn't afford it.  We bought a mobile home and placed on the acreage behind his grandparent's house that his parents owned.  We lived there 10 years before building our own house on the same land.  I've now lived here 16 years.  As part of my divorce, I'll be moving next year since I gave the house to my ex-husband since it was his family's land prior to us having it.  I just stipulated that I be allowed to live in it until our kids were out of school.  So....technically, I've lived in 6 different houses, but two were before I was 2 yrs old and the last 3 are all on the same basic piece of land.

mailxpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, what a reply.  Interesting read.  It sounds like it's a huge piece of land.

1. KCC Big Country profile image83
        KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

His grandparents' portion was 8 acres. His parents' portion was 27 acres.  So, total was 35 acres.  We bought 8 acres when we built the house.  So, it's not that big....at least not in Texas terms.  smile

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I have moved about 8-10 times in my life and I am 41(soon to be 42). lol

That's a lot.  I'm 42.  You've been around.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not really. I've not lived anywhere but in the State of Massachusetts. lol

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

9 times.

6. KCC Big Country profile image83

All the places I've lived are within the same county and only 15 miles apart at most.  LOL

Hey KCC, I can say the same thing. lol

1. KCC Big Country profile image83
        KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I bet......isn't Massachusetts only 15 miles square anyway?  (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

No KCC, last time I checked, we could fit at least ONE Rhode Island and ONE Delaware within our borders. tongue

7. evangi profile image61
    evangiposted 13 years ago

Let's see:  hmmmmm. quite a lot!  I'm counting, and it's 20 times.  And 18 in the same city! My daughter from grades K-12 went to 5 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, and 2 high schools. And she turned out alright..Thank goodness she wasn't traumatized.

8. KCC Big Country profile image83

Looking at square miles on Wikipedia.....

Massachusetts has 10,555 square miles
    Rhode Island has 1,214 sq miles
    Delaware has 2,490 sq miles

You have room for several of each looks like.  smile

Texas has 268,820 square miles.  The county I've lived in all my life almost has as much area as Rhode Island.

See, I was right though. tongue

9. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 13 years ago

Hmm define "lived" - lets assume you mean actually owing or havign a rental agreement on the place - not just travelling?
    AGe 48
    Number of countries: 6
    Number of cities: 11
    Number of acutal moves: 21 - I think...

I'm laughing.  You write I think?  You've moved so many times at so many areas you lost count.

1. Lissie profile image75
        Lissieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Acutally I missed at least 1 - 22 times.  Since Dec of last year we moved from
        Perth - to rental in wellington
        rental - to own house in wellington
        own house - to friend's house (after sold house - that was just a month don't count that)
        and then friend to current house - which we are staying put in for a while - I don't recommend 4 moves in 6 months - I really, really dont!

10. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Mailxpress,

I would like to take a second and thank you for the fanmail. Secondly, I would like to dismiss the "ideology" that I am impressed with good looking women. I'm not "impressed" by them

I just like beautiful women. wink big_smile

I'm laughing again.  Good one.

Good know. Laughter is the best healer. wink big_smile

11. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 13 years ago

Probably too many than was good for my kids.

12. elayne001 profile image79
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

I have moved over 25 times and I'm fairly well adjusted - just a little crazy. Raised and married all in the same state, but since being married, back and forth from the South Pacific to the mainland.

13. profile image0
    RFoxposted 13 years ago

Hmmmm.....so far 18 cities/towns/communities in a permanent type dwelling.

Actual apartments/houses I've lost count. (Only my parents have the running tally of my residential addresses.)

Spent two years with no fixed address also...lived in a tent and other communal situations.

And I'm 32.

smile

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

More than I care to remember - but I doubt I can beat Kim or Rachelle on that smile

1. profile image0
      RFoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's my parents fault...they started the wanderlust...

big_smile

15. Timmy(B) profile image60
    Timmy(B)posted 13 years ago

19 times and i am 29 so that is pretty awful really.

16. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

Well, when I'm not absolutely still, I'm moving.  Of course, we're never still; we have to breathe.   But if you're talking about moving from living in one place to another try this.

London (two moves) Torrington, London, Hanging Haughton, London, Bury two moves) London (two moves) I then turned 14.

Sydney (5 moves) Dubbo, Sydney, Madang, Port Moresby, Sydney, Auckland (3 moves) Sydney, MacQuarie Island, Sydney (two moves)

That brings me up to date.  So how many is that?  22 moves in 74 years.  However, my son, Marty, who used to be a surfer, has probably had almost as many in his 42 years!   Still, I don't feel shortchanged.

17. Joe Badtoe profile image60
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

Thousands of times

it's how the body works.

1. sofs profile image78
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seven major moves but each one was better than the previous, may have to move sooner into a larger house!  roll

18. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

I have moved 18 times. Up untill about a month ago I would have said I woild never move again, but it looks like I might after all.

19. richtwf profile image60
    richtwfposted 13 years ago

I've lived a nomadic existence for the past 20 odd years and I'd guess I've moved to live and work in a dozen places or so in that time.

20. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Only 4 times so far.  It won't be the last, I'm sure.  Sometimes a change of scene is just what you need.

While I really dislike the chore and upheaval of having to move, at least I've figured out how to organize everything down to the last little detail.  I've gotten really good at packing boxes efficiently.  Movers are always amazed at how organized things are.

Luckily, I've never had any disasters during any of the moves.  Everything always arrived safe and sound.

21. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

14 times (and I'm oooold), but the last 3 places were within a two-mile radius, so it didn't even feel like I moved. smile

22. nasus loops profile image64
    nasus loopsposted 13 years ago

I have moved a total of 3 times in my 31 years.  I remember a long time ago someone saying that on average people moved house once every 4 years.  don't know if this is true, but pleased I haven't, it would be like living out of a suitcase all the time.  Just as you get unpacked, your packing up again. No not for me!

23. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

18 moves between 4 states (not counting the one I was born in) in 37 years.

24. Christene profile image60
    Christeneposted 13 years ago

12 places in 7 towns and 3 states.
    Most of that was during my college years though.

My parents lived in an apartment when I was born. Next was the house I grew up in. I was there from before I was a year old until I graduated high school. (17 years) After that I didn't stay in one spot.

I lived with my grandmother for a summer. I lived with my parents in an apartment while a new house was being built in another state. I went to college in a third state and lived in 4 dorm rooms on campus and 1 apartment in another town. Spent the summers and winter break in my parent's new house.

Moved to my first apartment on my own. (1 year) Then this house. (10 years)

25. profile image0
    Ella90posted 13 years ago

I'll be hopefully moving for the first time this year. My parents moved into the house we live in now a couple of days before I was born and we've lived here ever since. The weird thing is I've only lived in one house but before they moved here my parents moved around quite a bit trying to find the right house, so me and my brother all have differents places where we were born, and my eldest brothers moved about 5 or 6 times and my other one must have moved about 2 or 3 times before he was 3 years old.

26. Dorothee-Gy profile image64
    Dorothee-Gyposted 13 years ago

Wow, I thought I had a lot of moves, but actually it have only been 10 (3 of them before I was 18). Pretty stable, as it looks!

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 13 years ago

over half my age and I'm 60

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

I think this answers it best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb8CH0rTcY4

3. aka-dj profile image64
      aka-djposted 13 years ago

Lost count!
      Well over 50 (times, that is...) big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)