Suffering - What do you believe?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)
  1. adrienne2 profile image66
    adrienne2posted 13 years ago

Some people believe a multitude of reasons why people suffer with different health conditions. Do you believe a person suffer as some result of sin?  Personally, I do not believe suffering is equal to sin.

What I can not understand is why do innocent children suffer with conditions such as cancer, and other conditions?

What do you believe?

1. rb11 profile image65
      rb11posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It boils down to what you believe. Some people feel they deserve to suffer, why? But they are in a comfort zone when they have some sort of suffering in their life.

Sin, evil, you have to have a biblical belief to understand these words. If you don't believe in God and the foundation for life, then the word sin has no meaning to you. If you do, then sin is at the core of destruction, it likes to inject suffering in our lives. The good news is, it can only do this if we allow it to.

As far as children, I don't know why they suffer. Maybe, just maybe, if we look at how nature sorts things out we see that the strong survive and the weak die. Could it be that nature is saving a baby or child from a lifetime of suffering by ending their life early? In these cases are we extending suffering, is the greed for money in the drug companies overriding natures processes? I don't know, maybe.....

2. Sekharg profile image60
      Sekhargposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Many people believe in karma and rebirth. Fundaemntal belief here is that your soul (which is constant and eternal) and body are different. Your soul wears different bodies (like we wear clothes) depending upon your deeds in earlier life. If you did good deeds, you will be given a better life. If you did lot of wrong deeds, you will be given a life with
      lot of suffering. It could happen in same life also.

This answers some questions like why some people born in poor or affluent family, or with sound health or ill health, why some people have endless difficulties or series of positive incidents happening to them.

There are several explanations, theories and philosophies. It all boils down to your personal belief and understanding of this world and life and death.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope, it all boils down to biology. smile

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...just want I needed to read...so that is why Meagan (daughter) suffered so much...her soul's past lives made her suffer and die...thankfully i do not have those beliefs...

3. dante kelly profile image53
      dante kellyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

this is never an easy topic,God allows certain things to help.Good people get hurt the bad get rich and so on.Sin is here because we choose it greed,lust,lies,murder,and hate have corupted our lives.So for the greater part of it all we have as well as those who came before us have reinforced sin.True people die which is a part of natures design,how they die in many cases has  nothing to do with their sins.Now don't get me wrong sin can kill if thats the life we live.Children just don't die from sins of their own!God calls them home remember it's a better place,our saddnesss and suffering is for our loss.A selfish act but one thats needed...

4. BRANDONHEATHTART profile image60
      BRANDONHEATHTARTposted 13 years agoin reply to this

good people get hurt because the chose the calling of the good.  therefore, they are able to heal the other damaged souls who are caught in the wake of a sovereign God.  Bad people suffer the good, whatever a bad person is - not for us to judge...whether rich or just cruel, which could be the product of their own sufferings....

suffering is not inherently bad, any more than "bad" people are - perspective on this must be expanded.

but if you are "good", is that inherent, or do you just listen to your conscience, or, that which preceded us all, which is arguably good. 

even suffering is used for good.

"ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER TO THE GLORY OF GOD, FOR THOSE WHO ARE CALLED ACCORDING TO HIS PURPOSES" 

but christ suffered too - for us - so why should we escape what we learn from our prolonged, inevitable and forced fasts?????

if he is the truth, and the truth hurts, then we should trust, since he cannot lie (hebrews) and see that he is the beginning, that his word is true from the beginning, and that simply means that we can live without pain when we know that no matter what - he is in control. 

suffering is a non sequitor to some.

5. IdiditAlready profile image61
      IdiditAlreadyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe some things are beyond Human understanding.  Like why were we born when we were.  Who knows! 

I believe The Source is always working in my benefit.

Suffering, IS a part of life.  Each individual must figure out what it means for them. 

I believe in the end, it's still only ONE power and I AM(we are, it is) that power.  Life is simply an expression of it...

ONE!

2. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Suffering is a condition of life. It need not be blamed on sin or whatever. A life without suffering is a life that was never lived.

adrienne2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

WOW, that is power.  I use to wonder did I do something wrong? I keep getting hit with illness, after illness, once I get one thing under control here comes another challegne.  And it is always health related.  I guess I am searching at this point for answers.  I have faith, and I believe, and sometime I wonder what does God want from me? What is the purpose of all the challegnes?

1. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The answers you seek may best be offered from a physician and not a god. smile

Well this is merely a discussion not looking for a physician.

2. kirstenblog profile image79
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can sympathize, my past is full of suffering of a slightly different nature. I was born to a drug addict mom who was declared more fit to raise me then my dad for some strange reason (tho that did change). Eventually went to live with dad and his new wifey was very abusive when sober (I preferred her drinking binges if for no other reason then that drunk she just didn't have the hand eye coordination to hit me effectively). Eventually was adopted and things could have been good but after a year they got divorced, then grandpa Les died (adopted granddad) then my adopted mom's only biological daughter, big Kirsten died. You can say we were on a fast train to a nervous break down and I got there first. I was hospitalized and diagnosed with severe chronic depression, dysthmic disorder, PTSD and borderline personality disorder. My adopted mom got hep C and I never did go back home to live. I used to wonder 'why me', now I think 'why not me'. I have a good life (good enough for me anyway) and delude myself that I have managed to help people just by sharing my experiences and hope that I am contributing to the forward movement of humanity in understanding and having compassion.

Thank you kirstenblog for sharing your experience.  I really appreciate you sharing your story.  That is alot to go through, and I understand it. I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown due to some of the horrible things that happen to me, including abuse from early childhood.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

i do not believe anyone suffers because of a sin (depending on the interpretation/definition of 'sin'). 

an adult may suffer extreme guilt (heavy stress load) for doing something extremely wrong (wrong in their perspective)and of which could cause physical ailments as a direct result of stress....but i do not believe people get sick because they 'sinned'.

....and especially children....

what 'sin' could a child commit?.....lied to my parents; swore; stole a candy bar;...if that is sin in someone's mind, then that is really too bad.....

i do recall as a kid growing up thinking that those examples above were 'sins'...and i do recall thinking that i had to reveal that crap on a regular basis...but you know, i still never thought i was bad or had 'sinned'...i was misinformed and obviously did not understand as a kid what a 'sin' was supposed to be or not....i was taught to reveal 'stuff' that was supposed to be bad...so most times not understanding the sacrament of confession I made stuff up because i had nothing to tell the priest really because i was a kid without 'sin' (like all children)....so revealed stupid petty things only to be blessed and told to ask for forgiveness with prayers....because i thought that is what i had to do...anyway...those are my thoughts on children and 'sin'.

4. kess profile image61
    kessposted 13 years ago

Death has its power through sin, sin came by the knowledge of good and evil.

The effect of death is manifested in sickness of the body.

All who posseses the knowledge of good and evil is affected by sin.

To live free from sin, you , must see all things as good. Now you are above sin and death.
    Truth shows us the way.

1. kathryn1000 profile image60
      kathryn1000posted 13 years agoin reply to this

We are made from flesh and blood .We must not be ashamed of suffering,It is inherent in our human condition.Can we help each other on our way? I hope so,

2. adrienne2 profile image66

@kess what do u mean death has power through sin? When I started the discussion I said  I do not believe suffering is equal to sin.  I am not sure I follow what you are saying that the effect of death is manifested in sickness of the body, I do not believe that to be true.

5. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

This is an exhaustive take on suffering.

http://www.hedweb.com/

Well @earnesthub thanks for the link, but it sure did not talk about suffering.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right of course! smile
        Hedweb offers thoughts about suffering and solutions to the suffering of all sentient life.

I guess I put a negative spin on the link! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)