Misinformation in hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (27 posts)
  1. shashigai profile image60
    shashigaiposted 15 years ago

I'm not sure what can be done about this, but today I saw a couple of hubs stating marijuana is a narcotic. Looking further I saw another article saying that Ambien was a narcotic. I saw yet another puporting to report on racism that was full of stereotypes. I guess its not dangerous to call marijuana a narcotic, but I think it lowers the quality of hubpages to have such misinformation included with hubs by people who know their material

I wondered what anyone else thought.

1. indy cindy profile image65
      indy cindyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Addressing just the 'narcotic' factor ... per dictionary.com ... the second definition reads:

2. anything that exercises a soothing or numbing effect or influence: Television is a narcotic for many people. 

Marijuana qualifies, as does Ambien.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

Every hub stands alone, if a hub is full on inaccuracies that looks bad on the author. Commenting and giving the true facts might help others to avoid believing it but there is no way of knowing if the author would let it stay.

3. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

Just leave a comment with the true facts, and hope that the info in the comment isn't deleted so that readers will hopefully see the truths.

Or just write a hub with the truths.

shashigaiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

that just raises even more questions (for me) about accountability. my hubs don't contain misinformation, but i worry and worry that they don't contain enough information. i go back and edit whenever i learn something new.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You can add a disclaimer to your hubs like I do on my cholesterol hubs.

2. Teresa McGurk profile image60
        Teresa McGurkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

shashigai's query is a legitimate one, guys.  Although we can not police Hubpages, nor should we try, we can flag hubs that consistently contain misinformation, and respond to the page in the comments section so that the overall standards of HubPages are maintained -- for all of us. 

While there is what would appear to the uninitiated to be hair-splitting going on here about marijuana and ambien not being narcotics per se, but nonetheless producing narcotic effects, Shashigai's concern is for the facts of the information and for the credibility of Hubs in general.

No, we shouldn't believe everything we read.  But we can encourage fellow hubbers to research and validate findings.

Thanks. This is my true concern, as I have seen scams (one of which inspired me to write a hub on satellite tv scams) and other really bad misinformation here. Sometimes it happens because people are using PLR and don't bother to check the facts; other times it happens because people are reporting on personal experience and don't differentiate enough for that to be understood. Its concerning because I am seeing more and more teachers accept web references as legitimate. I guess it couldn't hurt for people to think of marijuana as a narcotic, unfortunately I think it still wouldn't reach the right audience.
          It also raises a interesting social question: who decides the meaning of a word? The FDA? Dictionary.com? Hubpages? Or me, since I am now a god, courtesy of Ryan?

3. Lifebydesign profile image63
        Lifebydesignposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If you have the information, know what you're talking about you, and you keep it up to date, people start acknowledging you for the corrects facts and advice. I'd recommend building your credibility so that your hub becomes the obvious choice.
        And what Terese said.

4. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 15 years ago

Based on how they medically function and the technical definition of the world, both marijuana and Ambien are narcotics.

5. shashigai profile image60
    shashigaiposted 15 years ago

I'd have to disagree with that, relache. Narcotics attach to different receptors in the brain than cannabis and ambien. the technical definitions of both cannabis and ambien, as developed by the "powers that be" which would be the FDA, DEA, etc, classify those two as non-narcotic.
    They might have narcotic effects, but neither causes the kind of physical dependence that narcotics cause. Cannabis causes mainly psychological dependence, though if you are wired differently than most humans, I guess it could engender some sort of physiological dependence. there aren't enough recorded cases of that to prove it, though. The same with ambien. This is why you can go to the hospital and get medical assistance with heroin, morphine or oxycodone addiction, but you can't go for marijuana, ambien or cocaine addiction. They just don't operate the same way.

I know this both from the research and my 15 years working with drug addicts in crisis.

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Enough said.

6. profile image0
    AngryITChickposted 15 years ago

You can't believe everything you read.  And if there's anyone that does...well I'm amazed they made it this far.

7. Ryan Hupfer profile image61
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

I pretty much assume that everything on the Internet is true.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You need to send me $50,000 and I will make your wishes come true............ smile

1. profile image0
        AngryITChickposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Damn, you stole my idea sad

2. ajcor profile image59
      ajcorposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Like in the newspapers...doncha know!

3. shashigai profile image60

tongue
      i am a god. worship me and send me mark's money.

4. WHoArtNow profile image81
      WHoArtNowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

ROFL, best comment ever Ryan!

8. LondonGirl profile image83
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

I've just got really annoyed about a hub that is alarmist and unscientific. I've posted the below, but no doubt the ignorant writer will delete it:

"If one of the parent is Rh+ and the other is Rh - , the chances for child being a victim of Rh incompatibility becomes high. This may lead to a condition called Erythrobalstosis foetalis."

"Recent scientific developments and improvements in health care methods and extensive research have lead to development of methods to overcome this disease. However the mortality rate is still high. It is estimated to be about 15% according to a recent statistics."

Actually, I don't think it's a useful article at all. I think it's just pretty wrong in many significant ways.

Firstly, it doesn't matter if the mother is Rh+ and the father RH-. It only matters if the mother is neg and the father positive. We each have two Rh factors, one from each parent. Neg is recessive, postive is dominent.

So, for example, my father's blood group is A+. My mother's is O-. We children are O+. O+, O-, and A-.

As O is also recessive, that means my father has AO +/- blood, my mother OO -- blood, etc.

If a positive mother has a negative baby, nothing happens.

If a negative mother, like mine, has a positive baby, like me and my siser, there used to be a big problem.

In relation to the alarmist statement that there is a 15% mortality rate for babies with this condition, the writer COMPLETELY misses the point. No-one in the West gets it. Rho(D) Immune Globulin is given to pregnant Rh- women. Problem solved. Has been for decades.

My explanation above is relatively simplistic. But it is not alarmist and utterly wrong, like this hub is.

9. bgamall profile image68
    bgamallposted 15 years ago

Marijuana is not a narcotic. And ask a paranoid smoker of the stuff if he is soothed, lol. While Mary Jo gets you into your head more, it doesn't put you into lala land (and I don't mean Los Angeles, well maybe I do) like morphine or a real narcotic. It is inaccurate to portray MJ as a narcotic and the penalties for possession are totally different.

But I wouldn't have a cow over it because one poster is right, don't believe everything you read but filter it through your own knowledge. (As he takes a bow).

10. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Keep in mind that anyone from anywhere can write online, so take what your read online with a grain of salt.  If you have doubts do more research when reading any webpage, and hopefully anyone seeking any type of advice online will go offline and do more research with scholarly books and journals.

1. Dorsi profile image88
      Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. reader beware!
      You shouldn't believe everything you read, and if the author is in doubt you definitely should do your research, and read up alot on the subject if you aren't sure about the information.

11. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

To me, it is fairly obvious when an author doesn't know what they are talking about.  "Caveat emptor," always, always.

Incidentally, big tip offs (and you have to put this in context, too), are sometimes that the surrounding text will also have grave errors in style, grammar, and even in the graphic 'look' of the text and layout. Good authors back up their sources, quote experts, and provide links or even bibliographies if the subject is somewhat controversial. 

There is also a measure of knowing when to trust an author/speaker. Things like respective education (though this definitely is not always so), considering if the source has an agenda, length of narration, diction, etc.  I always get a good sense of the person through the way they write.

12. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 15 years ago

I wrote a hub on tattooing, and while I don't have any ink on my skin (or should that be 'ink IN my skin') I have family members who have tattoos. But that's not the reason why I wrote the hub.

I figured seeing that all my newly published hubs were getting Adsense ads about tattoos on them, I might as well publish something that was relevant to the ads, rather than wait for ads that were relevant to my content.

As it turns out there are some inaccuracies in my hub. But rather than fix them I've left them as is so they have been corrected by people who gave feedback.

I learned that I shouldn't say that the ink is "injected by an electric needle" that it should be "the ink is inserted using a capillary action via a grouping of between 3 and in excess of 20 needles, which are powered by a machine head, consisting of 2 electro magnetic coils"

13. William F. Torpey profile image71
    William F. Torpeyposted 15 years ago

Some people are critical of newspapers, but I believe they have the right idea. Writers who are objective, which is both desirable and possible, provide attribution when stating controversial issues. If you're expressing opinions, that's one thing, but if you are stating facts it's important to let your readers know what your source is. In that way, readers can evaluate your source to decide whether you are stating facts or fallacies. If you tell me that George W. Bush was a great president because Dick Cheney said so, then it's easy for me to determine whether you are right or wrong.

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
      EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely, that's writing 101.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)